Israeli spy cell held at Beirut Airport

Lebanese authorities on Friday announced the arrest at Beirut Airport of “a spy cell working for the Israeli enemy.” (Reuters/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 25 August 2023
Follow

Israeli spy cell held at Beirut Airport

  • Security authority advises against citizens following Tel Aviv-based online accounts

BEIRUT: Lebanese authorities on Friday announced the arrest at Beirut Airport of “a spy cell working for the Israeli enemy.”

The cell comprised two individuals attempting to leave Lebanon, said Brig. Gen. Elias Al-Baysari, acting director general of General Security.

He added: “These individuals have connections with the enemy and were tasked with missions inside the country.

“We have interrogated and handed them over to the competent military judiciary, and we will reveal the danger of this network in subsequent statements.”

General Security maintained its secrecy over the apprehended individuals, their nationalities, affiliations, and mission.

A security source said: “Investigations, shrouded in secrecy, are underway to uncover further individuals involved.”

Al-Baysari, speaking on the 78th anniversary of the establishment of the Lebanese General Security apparatus, said: “There is no room for compromising security under any circumstances.

“Preserving security is a red line and a priority for us. We have an excellent team that does not hesitate and spares no effort in maintaining security, combating terrorism, and pursuing networks working for the Israeli enemy.”

The security source added: “Lebanese security agencies are active in pursuing attempts to recruit agents for the Israeli enemy on Lebanese soil.”

General Security warned citizens of the “dangers of using applications randomly without knowing their source or location.”

The organization urged the population “not to follow online pages and unreliable accounts or download suspicious applications, especially those used to book travel tickets, notably the Momondo application, associated with an office located in Tel Aviv.”

In relation to fighting criminal activity, Al-Baysari said: “Security work and coordination with Arab and international entities have contributed to enhancing crime prevention.

“As a result, we have arrested one of the most dangerous figures in the Italian Mafia in a significant and distinguished effort to combat drug smuggling, and we handed him over to Italian authorities. This reflects trust in Lebanese security.”

He added: “The issue of Syrian refugees in Lebanon has been taken seriously by General Security since 2012.

“We requested data to regulate this presence based on accurate information, and insisted on obtaining it without conditions, as it is part of our sovereignty.

“General Security is responsible for the security of every foreign resident on its land, and we are entitled to do so.

“We conveyed our demands to the UN, and we were supported by Prime Minister Najib Mikati, Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib, Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi, and their team.

“Our efforts have culminated in securing our rights, and we are in the phase of obtaining the data.

“We affirm, on the other hand, that the data is confidential, and we will maintain its security in accordance with international treaties. It is a trust on our shoulders.”

Lisa Abou Khaled, a spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in Beirut, previously spoke to Arab News regarding the issue of handing over data to the Lebanese authorities.

She said: “Our first and foremost goal is to protect the most vulnerable in the host community as well as refugees, and to ensure continued adherence to the principles of international law.

“In accordance with our protection mission, the UNHCR continues to engage in constructive proposals to address the situation of refugees in Lebanon and ensure their protection, including issues related to data sharing, registration and other important aspects.”

The UNHCR and Lebanese General Security have agreed to form a technical committee for data sharing and protection, which follows international standards.

Meanwhile, amid the worsening economic crisis that affects General Security personnel and other public sector employees, Wassim Mansouri, the acting governor of Lebanon’s central bank, said on Friday that “the government would pay public sector salaries for the month of August in US dollars, calculated using an exchange rate of 85,500 pounds per US dollar.”

He added: “This move will aid in stabilizing the exchange rate rather than exerting pressure on it.

“In simpler terms, dollars will be injected into the market to benefit 400,000 families, ensuring transparency and equity in distribution while enhancing social stability.

“An agreement has also been reached to meet the foreign currency needs of the army and security forces without impacting foreign currency reserves.”

However, Mansouri cautioned that “the monetary stability achieved by the central bank has its limitations in terms of time, and the political, economic, and security conditions related to it.”

He added: “The central bank alone cannot control monetary policy and maintain the stability of the local currency’s exchange rate without full cooperation of the government and parliament.”


US and Iran slide towards conflict as military buildup eclipses nuclear talks

Updated 28 min 13 sec ago
Follow

US and Iran slide towards conflict as military buildup eclipses nuclear talks

  • Washington building up one of its biggest military deployments in the region since the invasion of Iraq in 2003
  • Iran is expected to submit a written proposal in the coming days, a US official says

Iran and the United States are sliding rapidly towards military conflict as hopes fade for a diplomatic solution to their standoff over Tehran’s nuclear program, officials on both sides and diplomats across the Gulf and Europe say.

Iran’s Gulf neighbors and its enemy Israel now consider a conflict to be more likely than a settlement, these sources say, with Washington building up one of its biggest military deployments in the region since the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Israel’s government believes Tehran and Washington are at an impasse and is making preparations for possible joint military action with the United States, though no decision has been made yet on whether to carry out such an operation, said a source familiar with the planning.

It would be the second time the US and Israel have attacked Iran in less than a year, following US and Israeli airstrikes against military and nuclear facilities last June.

Regional officials say oil-producing Gulf countries are preparing for a possible military confrontation that they fear could spin out of control and destabilize the Middle East.

Two Israeli officials told Reuters they believe the gaps between Washington and Tehran are unbridgeable and that the chances of a near‑term military escalation are high.

Some regional officials say Tehran is dangerously miscalculating by holding out for concessions, with US President Donald Trump boxed in by his own military buildup - unable to scale it back without losing face if there is no firm commitment from Iran to abandon its nuclear weapons ambitions.

“Both sides are sticking to their guns,” said Alan Eyre, a former US diplomat and Iran specialist, adding that nothing meaningful can emerge “unless the US and Iran walk back from their red lines - which I don’t think they will.”

“What Trump can’t do is assemble all this military, and then come back with a ‘so‑so’ deal and pull out the military. I think he thinks he’ll lose face,” he said. “If he attacks, it’s going to get ugly quickly.”

Two rounds of Iran-US talks have stalled on core issues, from uranium enrichment to missiles and sanctions relief.

When Omani mediators delivered an envelope from the US side containing missile‑related proposals, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi refused even to open it and returned it, a source familiar with the talks said.

After talks in Geneva on Tuesday, Araghchi said the sides had agreed on “guiding principles,” but the White House said there was still distance between them.

Iran is expected to submit a written proposal in the coming days, a US official said, and Araghchi said on Friday he expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days.

But Trump, who has sent aircraft carriers, warships and jets to the Middle East, warned Iran on Thursday it must make a deal over its nuclear program or “really bad things” will happen.

He appeared to set a deadline of 10 to 15 days, drawing a threat from Tehran to retaliate against US bases in the region if attacked. The rising tensions have pushed up oil prices.

US officials say Trump has yet to make up his mind about using military force although he acknowledged on Friday that he could order a limited strike to try to force Iran into a deal.

“I guess I can say I am considering that,” he told reporters.

The possible timing of an attack is unclear. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is due to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on February 28 to discuss Iran. A senior US official said it would be mid-March before all US forces were in place.