British-Pakistani journalist wins right to sue CNN for ‘unfair dismissal, discrimination’ 

The picture posted on February 25, 2023 shows British-Pakistani journalist, Saima Mohsin. (Photo courtesy: Saima Mohsin/Facebook)
Short Url
Updated 15 August 2023
Follow

British-Pakistani journalist wins right to sue CNN for ‘unfair dismissal, discrimination’ 

  • Saima Mohsin, an international correspondent for CNN, was injured on a reporting assignment in Jerusalem in 2014 
  • Mohsin claims she requested CNN for alternative duties, support for rehabilitation but the network denied her request 

ISLAMABAD: Former CNN reporter and British-Pakistani journalist Saima Mohsin has won the right to take the news network to an employment tribunal in the United Kingdom (UK) for “unfair dismissal” and “discrimination” after she was injured on an assignment in Israel. 

Mohsin, who now works on a freelance basis for Sky News, was injured on assignment in Jerusalem for CNN in 2014 when she was covering the Israel-Palestine conflict. Her cameraman ran over her foot, causing tissue damage and chronic pain, meaning she uses a walking stick and is unable to work full-time. 

The incident also led to a mental health breakdown and Mohsin suffers from depression, according to international media reports. She claims that CNN terminated her contract in 2017 after she requested alternative duties and support during rehab. 

The British-Pakistani journalist last month announced that she was suing CNN for “unfair dismissal” and “discrimination.” 

“I won! I won the hearing against CNN,” Mohsin said on X Tuesday. “Employment Tribunal will hear my case on unfair dismissal #disability discrimination & #equalpay in London.” 

The journalist shared a report by the Deadline magazine which stated that the judge ruled in her favor following a preliminary hearing last month, meaning that her case can proceed to the London Central Employment Tribunal. A date for the hearing has yet to be determined. 

CNN declined a comment to the publication. 

Mohsin’s case can now proceed on the grounds of dismissal, disability discrimination, victimization, failure to make reasonable adjustments, and equal pay in relation to claims after March 1, 2017, according to the Deadline report. A separate claim of racial discrimination falls outside of this period of consideration so will not now move forward. 

“I have constantly offered reinstatement or mediation and negotiations. I didn’t ask for this battle while learning to deal with an invisible disability and rebuild my life,” Mohsin was quoted as saying in a statement. 

“But it was important I take a stand.” 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”