Sindh chief minister launches ‘Talash’ app to combat crime, enhance police efficiency

In this file photo, taken on April 15, 2021, police stand guard on a street in Karachi. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 29 July 2023
Follow

Sindh chief minister launches ‘Talash’ app to combat crime, enhance police efficiency

  • The app was originally introduced to help the Sindh Police prevent with street crimes and identify lawbreakers
  • ‘Talash’ relies on a comprehensive database of hardened criminals and also acquires information from NADRA

ISLAMABAD: The chief minister of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province, Syed Murad Ali Shah, officially launched a police app on Saturday to deal with criminal elements in Karachi and other regions by relying on a comprehensive database of people convicted of breaking the law in the past.

Titled “Talash” – or search – the app was originally introduced last year, in October, to help the Sindh Police deal with mounting instances of street crimes and improve the conviction rate.

It was primarily designed to provide an effective tool to the police while carrying out snap checks during a blockade, making it possible for them to identify a person with criminal record by simply obtaining thumb prints instead of indulging in extensive investigations.

“Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah on Saturday officially launched Police App ‘Talash,’” informed the state-owned Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) news agency in a Twitter post. “The software application has been designed to identify the culprits, foreign or nationals, dead bodies through their thumb impressions.”

The post added the app could also identify the recovered vehicles by simply inserting their engine or chassis number.

“The App has complete data on the culprits in its store and is also connected with NADRA [National Database Registration Authority],” it continued. “The chief minister launched the App by giving his thumb impressions to the App device which automatically generated [his] data.”

Karachi, the provincial capital of Sindh and the country’s largest and most densely populated city, witnessed a massive surge in street crimes in recent years.

It also remained an epicenter of ethnic, sectarian and militant violence, posing a huge challenge for law enforcement agencies.

Last year, senior police officials noted the only way to prevent such crimes was to effectively employ various forms of technology while introducing the app.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”