US deploying warship, planes to deter Iran ship seizures

An Iranian Revolutionary Guard speedboat watching an American warship in the Strait of Hormuz. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 18 July 2023
Follow

US deploying warship, planes to deter Iran ship seizures

  • Washington said its forces blocked two attempts by the Iran to seize commercial tankers in international waters off Oman on July 5

WASHINGTON: The United States is deploying a destroyer as well as F-35 and F-16 warplanes to the Middle East to deter Iran from seizing ships in the Gulf, the Pentagon said Monday.
The move came after the Iranian Navy tried to seize two merchant vessels in the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman earlier this month, in one incident opening fire at one of the merchant vessels.
“In light of this continued threat and in coordination with our partners and allies, the (Defense) Department is increasing our presence and ability to monitor the Strait and surrounding waters,” Deputy Pentagon Press Secretary Sabrina Singh said, calling on Tehran to “immediately cease these destabilizing actions that threaten the free flow of commerce through this strategic waterway.”
On Friday, a senior defense official said the United States was flying A-10 Warthog warplanes over the Gulf, armed “with the kinds of munitions that would be useful to go against fast boats and moving targets.”
As Iranian “fast attack boats, fast attack craft have increased as a maritime threat, we’ve tried a number of different ways to tackle them. And the A-10 has proven capable of that,” the official added.
Washington said its forces blocked two attempts by the Iran to seize commercial tankers in international waters off Oman on July 5, while Tehran took control of a commercial ship the following day.
In April and early May, Iran seized two tankers within a week in regional waters, and Tehran was also accused of launching a drone attack against an Israeli-owned tanker in November 2022.
There has been a series of such incidents since 2018, when then US president Donald Trump pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal and reimposed crippling sanctions on the Islamic republic, sending tensions soaring.
Talks aimed at reviving the accord remain stalled, but have recently resumed with Oman as an intermediary.


Australia to ban citizen from returning to country under rarely-used terror laws

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Australia to ban citizen from returning to country under rarely-used terror laws

  • They were briefly freed on Monday before being turned back by Damascus for holding inadequate paperwork
SYDNEY: Australia ‌said on Wednesday it would temporarily ban one of its citizens held in a Syrian camp from returning to the country, ​under rarely-used powers aimed at preventing terror activity.
Thirty-four Australians in a northern Syrian facility holding families of suspected Daesh militants are expected to return home after their release was conditionally approved by camp authorities.
They were briefly freed on Monday before being turned back by Damascus for holding inadequate paperwork.
Australia has already ‌said it ‌would not provide any assistance to ​those ‌held ⁠in ​the camp, ⁠and is investigating whether any individuals posed a threat to national security.
“I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies,” Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement on ⁠Wednesday.
Security agencies have not yet advised ‌that other members of the ‌group meet the legal threshold for ​a similar ban, he ‌added.
Introduced in 2019, the legislation allows for ‌bans of up to two years for Australian citizens over the age of 14 that the government believes are a security risk.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Wednesday some members of ‌the cohort, that includes children, had aligned themselves with a “brutal, reactionary ideology and ⁠that seeks to ⁠undermine and destroy our way of life.”
“It’s unfortunate that children are caught up in this, that’s not their decision, but it’s the decision of their parents or their mother,” he added.
News of the families’ possible return has caused controversy in Australia, where support for the right-wing, anti-immigration One Nation party has surged in recent months.
A poll this week found One Nation’s share of the popular vote at a ​record high of 26 percent, ​above the combined support for the traditional center-right coalition currently in opposition.