Pakistan’s Shaheen seeks Test landmark against Sri Lanka 

Pakistan's Shaheen Shah Afridi (C) celebrates after taking the wicket of New Zealand's captain Tom Latham (not pictured) during the fifth and final Twenty20 international cricket match between Pakistan and New Zealand at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium in Rawalpindi, on April 24, 2023. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 14 July 2023
Follow

Pakistan’s Shaheen seeks Test landmark against Sri Lanka 

  • Shaheen was on 99 wickets when he was injured in same ground a year ago 
  • This will be Shaheen’s first outing in the long form of the game since then 

Galle: Pakistan strike bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi will seek to take his 100th Test wicket in the first Test against Sri Lanka starting in Galle on Sunday, a year after he was injured at the same ground. 

Shaheen was on 99 Test wickets when he was injured landing awkwardly at the boundary line trying to stop the ball, and it will be his first outing in the long form of the game since then. 

“Injuries are a part of an athlete’s life, but it is good to be back,” he told AFP at the end of Pakistan’s two-day warm-up fixture against a Sri Lanka Cricket President’s XI, which ended in a draw at Hambantota. 

The century of Test wickets “would be a big achievement for me” and he has had an extended wait to reach the milestone, he added. 

“It’s tough to be away from cricket, but time has helped me learn a lot.” 

The two sides are both shadows of the Test powers they once were, and are beginning the long quest to try to qualify for the next ICC World Test Championship final, to be held in 2025. 

The hosts are in seventh place and the visitors sixth in the current ICC Test rankings. 

In last year’s series, Pakistan won the first Test by four wickets while Sri Lanka won the second by 246 to square the series, with Shaheen out of the attack. Both matches were played in Galle. 

In the recent warm-up match Shaheen bowled at searing pace with lethal seam, taking three wickets for 36 in 12 overs as Pakistan dismissed the opposition for 196. 

“I am very excited to be making my Test comeback in the country where I was injured,” he said. 

Sri Lanka will be looking to replace Asitha Fernando, who has gone down with dengue fever, with uncapped left-arm pacer Dilshan Madushanka. 

After an impressive start to his white-ball career, 22-year-old Madushanka has played six ODIs and 11 T20Is, and is eyeing a Test debut after being named in Sri Lanka’s squad of 16 for the first Test. 

He was recently Player of the Match in the 2023 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier final against the Netherlands, taking three for 18 in a fine new-ball spell. 

Off-spinner Lakshitha Manasinghe is the other new face in the hosts’ squad. 

But he will have to contend with several other spinners for a place in the team, among them Prabath Jayasuriya and Ramesh Mendis, the recalled Praveen Jayawickrama, Kamindu Mendis, and middle-order batsman Dhananjaya de Silva. 

De Silva is the heir apparent to the Test captaincy and has been named as deputy to Dimuth Karunaratne, who is recovering from a hamstring injury and had said he wants to step down ahead of the new WTC cycle, but was asked by the selectors to continue. 

As cover for Karunaratne the selectors recalled Pathum Nissanka, who has figured mostly in white-ball cricket since playing his last Test against Australia at Galle in July 2022. 

Squads 

Pakistan for both Tests: Babar Azam (captain), Abdullah Shafique, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Huraira, Shan Masood, Saud Shakeel, Mohammad Rizwan (vice-captain/wk), Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Salman Ali Agha, Mohammad Nawaz, Aamer Jamal, Abrar Ahmed, Hassan Ali, Naseem Shah, Nauman Ali, Shaheen Shah Afridi. 

Sri Lanka for first Test: Dimuth Karunaratne (captain), Nishan Madushka, Kusal Mendis, Angelo Mathews, Dinesh Chandimal, Dhananjaya de Silva (vice-captain), Pathum Nissanka, Sadeera Samarawickrama (wk), Kamindu Mendis, Ramesh Mendis, Prabath Jayasuriya, Praveen Jayawickrama, Kasun Rajitha, Dilshan Madushanka, Vishwa Fernando, Lakshitha Manasinghe. 


Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

  • The Hundred is an English 100-ball-per-side franchise cricket competition with eight teams
  • BBC says Indian-owned teams may avoid selecting Pakistani players at next month’s auction

LONDON: Michael Vaughan has urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on reports that Pakistani players will be overlooked by Indian-owned teams in the domestic Hundred competition.

Longstanding political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events, although their recent Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League, world cricket’s most lucrative T20 franchise competition.

And with several IPL owners now owning teams in several different countries, opportunities for Pakistani cricketers to participate in various leagues are in danger of being reduced further.

The BBC has now reported that the issue could be a factor during next month’s player auction for English cricket’s Hundred, a 100 balls-per-side competition featuring eight franchises rather than the traditional 18 first-class counties.

Players will go under the hammer in London on March 11-12, with the BBC reporting that the four Indian-affiliated Hundred teams — Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds will deliberately avoid selecting players from Pakistan.

More than 50 Pakistani cricketers have registered their availability, with four other teams involved in the bidding.

The ECB have been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan has called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan, referencing the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country, posted on Friday on X: “The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen.”

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.

“Almost 1,000 cricketers from 18 nations have registered for The Hundred auction, with representation on the longlist of over 50 players respectively from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and West Indies.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.