Thompson and Rapinoe selected for the US Women’s World Cup roster

Eighteen-year-old Alyssa Thompson was among the 23 players selected Wednesday for the US team that will defend their title at the Women's World Cup next month. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 22 June 2023
Follow

Thompson and Rapinoe selected for the US Women’s World Cup roster

  • Thompson, who has been impressive as a rookie for Angel City, is the youngest on the roster, while the 37-year-old Rapinoe is the oldest
  • Morgan stopped short of saying the Americans were the favorites going into the tournament

NEW YORK: Eighteen-year-old Alyssa Thompson was selected Wednesday alongside veteran Megan Rapinoe and 21 others for the US roster that will vie next month to do what no country has done before — raise a third straight trophy at the Women’s World Cup.

Thompson, who has been impressive this season as a rookie for Angel City in the National Women’s Soccer League, is the youngest on the roster, while the 37-year-old Rapinoe is the oldest.

“I’ve already talked to some of the other experienced players about how we rally this group of players from ages 18 through (Rapinoe),” Forward Alex Morgan joked. “Just how we can all come together and and be incredibly fluid and go through this World Cup.”

The players were introduced with a star-studded social media post that included President Joe Biden, first lady Jill Biden, Taylor Swift, Lil Wayne and Megan Thee Stallion.

Morgan, 33, and Rapinoe will each be making their fourth World Cup appearances for the No. 1 ranked US team. Morgan stopped short of saying the Americans were the favorites going into the tournament.

“I think that at the end of the day, we already have a target on our backs coming in as reigning World Cup champs. But there’s some teams that have done incredibly well over the last four years and have made a name for themselves to compete for this trophy,” she said.

Defender Kelley O’Hara, 34, also earned a spot on her fourth World Cup squad, lending a veteran presence to shore up the backline in the absence of team captain Becky Sauerbrunn, who announced last week she won’t play in the World Cup because of a lingering foot injury.

The tournament kicks off on July 20 in Australia and New Zealand. The Americans are in Group E with Vietnam, the Netherlands and Portugal. The United States, which has won four total World Cups, opens with Vietnam on July 22 in Auckland.

“We want to do something that’s never been done before. We believe in the quality of the team and the support we have and we think we have what it takes to make it possible,” Andonovski said about the opportunity to win a third straight World Cup title.

Rapinoe is currently nursing a calf injury but she should be ready to play in the US team’s sendoff match against Wales on July 9 in San Jose, California. Andonovski said she will take on a different role than in 2019, when she scored six goals including a penalty in a 2-0 victory over the Netherlands in the final.

“She certainly is going to have different types of minutes. But her role, first from the leadership standpoint is so important, but also her performance on the field is very valuable for us,” Andonovski said.

The team has been hit by injuries in the run-up to the event. In addition to Sauerbrunn, the US will be without forward Mallory Swanson, who tore the patella tendon in her left knee. Swanson had seven goals this year before she was hurt in an April exhibition match against Ireland.

Catarina Macario, a talented forward who tore her ACL last year while playing for her French club, Lyon, did not recover in time for a spot on the team. Midfielder Sam Mewis also has a lingering injury and wasn’t available for the World Cup.

Some of the youngsters include 22-year-old Sophia Smith, who was named both the NWSL Most Valuable Player and the US

Soccer Player of the Year for 2022, and 21-year-old Trinity Rodman, US Soccer’s Young Player of the Year in 2021 and the daughter of former NBA star Dennis Rodman.

Thompson is the second-youngest player ever named to a World Cup roster, behind US assistant coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak, who played in the 1995 World Cup. Thompson was called onto the team in early April for a match against Ireland, taking the place of Swanson.

A surprise inclusion on the roster was 25-year-old Savannah DeMelo, who has yet to appear in a match for the United States. DeMelo plays for Racing Louisville in the NWSL, and has scored in three of her last four matches. She has five total goals this season.

DeMelo is just the third US player to be named to a World Cup squad without playing in an international level match.

“Her performance in the league was one of the biggest reasons why she’s on the team,” Andonovski said. “And based on the needs that we have in terms of the opponents and different situations that we may face, we see Sav being very important to us going forward.”

The roster by position with club affiliation:

Goalkeepers: Aubrey Kingsbury (Washington Spirit), Casey Murphy (North Carolina Courage), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)

Defenders: Alana Cook (OL Reign), Crystal Dunn (Portland Thorns), Emily Fox (North Carolina Courage), Naomi Girma (San Diego Wave), Sofia Huerta (OL Reign), Kelley O’Hara (Gotham), Emily Sonnett (OL Reign).

Midfielders: Savannah DeMelo (Racing Louisville FC), Julie Ertz (Angel City), Lindsey Horan (Lyon), Rose Lavelle, (OL Reign), Kristie Mewis (Gotham), Ashley Sanchez (Washington Spirit), Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit).

Forwards: Alex Morgan (San Diego Wave), Megan Rapinoe (OL Reign), Trinity Rodman (Washington Spirit), Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns), Alyssa Thompson (Angel City), Lynn Williams (Gotham FC).


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”