Syrian teenager reunited with brother following boat sinking tragedy

A Syrian teenager, who survived after the boat carrying him sank in the Mediterranean, has been reunited with his brother. (Screenshot/Sky News)
Short Url
Updated 16 June 2023
Follow

Syrian teenager reunited with brother following boat sinking tragedy

  • Boy known as Mohammed found by sibling who traveled from the Netherlands to Greece after disaster
  • Hundreds of people are missing after the incident on Wednesday, with 78 confirmed deaths, 104 rescued

LONDON: A Syrian teenager, who survived after the boat carrying him sank in the Mediterranean, has been reunited with his brother.

The 18-year-old, called Mohammed, was pictured crying behind a metal fence at a temporary shelter in the Greek port of Kalamata on Friday, holding onto the arms of his brother, Fadi, who was on the other side.

At least 78 people are known to have died after the fishing boat sank around 50 miles from the Greek mainland, near the town of Pylos, on Wednesday.

A total of 104 people have been rescued, and witnesses claim that the vessel could have been carrying as many as 750.

Several relatives of those on board have gathered in Kalamata in the hope of finding them.




The 18-year-old, called Mohammed, was pictured crying behind a metal fence at a temporary shelter in the Greek port of Kalamata on Friday. (Screenshot/Sky News)

Fadi, who traveled from the Netherlands, told his brother: “Thank God for your safety.”

The boat, which originally traveled from Egypt to Libya, set sail from Tobruk with the migrants on board on June 10. 

The EU border security agency Frontex and Greek officials became aware of it on Tuesday and shadowed the vessel for 15 hours. It repeatedly refused Greek help as its occupants said they wanted to go to Italy. 

Nine people have been arrested in connection with the sinking. The reasons for the accident are not yet clear.

A spokesperson for the Greek coast guard, Nikos Alexiou, said survivors claimed women and children had been in the hold of the boat, and that the number of missing people could not be confirmed. Others said they had paid $4,500 each to be taken to Italy.

More than 20,000 people have died or gone missing trying to cross the Mediterranean since 2014, according to UN figures.


Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’

  • Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message
ISTANBUL: Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message.
The message, posted by Erdogan’s team on X, said he had talked with Al Nahyan by phone.
“During the course of the call, President Erdogan expressed his sadness over the health problem experienced by (President) Al Nahyan and wished him a prompt recovery,” said the three-paragraph message.
Erdogan would travel to the United Arab Emirates at a later date, still to be determined, the message added.
Although the message — of which AFP has a screen grab — was quickly deleted from the account, it had already been picked up by official Turkish media.
Turkiye’s state broadcaster likewise took down its article on Erdogan that mentioned the Emirati leader’s health problem.
The official Emirati news agency, WAM, reported on the telephone conversation between the two leaders, but did not mention that Erdogan’s visit had been postponed.
Contacted by AFP, neither the Turkish presidency nor the Emirati authorities — who have themselves made no statement on their president’s health — have yet answered.
The Emirati leader’s team on Saturday evening released photos taken the same day showing Al Nahyan, known as MBZ, smiling and apparently in good health, with Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the emir of Qatar.