Industry insiders say Pakistan government’s proposed fund will ‘keep film culture alive’

In this file photo taken on June 9, 2015, a Pakistani camera crew adjusts a camera as they prepare to take part in the filming of a scene during the shooting of Pashto film in Murree, some 65kms north of Islamabad. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 16 June 2023
Follow

Industry insiders say Pakistan government’s proposed fund will ‘keep film culture alive’

  • Pakistan last week earmarked $7 million to finance films and $3.5 million for health insurance of artistes
  • Industry stake-holders say local cinema is currently going through ‘tough’ time, fund will improve situation

KARACHI: The Pakistani government’s $7 million fund to finance films would help the cinema grow in the South Asian country, industry insiders said on Thursday, hailing the initiative along with an another $3.5 million allocated for health insurance for artistes.

In a first last week, Pakistan earmarked Rs2 billion ($7 million) to finance films and Rs1 billion ($3.5 million) for health insurance of artistes in the federal budget for the fiscal year 2023-24.

Pakistan’s Information and Broadcasting Minister Marriyum Aurangzeb made the announcement and said the fund would play a “major role” in the growth of Pakistan’s film industry.

Industry stake-holders say the minister held separate meetings with them to discuss steps for the improvement of the Pakistani cinema and sought their feedback ahead of the announcement.

“It’s a huge incentive for filmmakers to come forward and make films. It is brilliant what the government has done. It will have great results, if implemented, and will benefit the industry in the long-run,” Nadeem Mandviwala, owner of Atrium Cinemas, told Arab News.

“At this moment, the government, particularly Marriyum [Aurangzeb], is trying their best to implement it in the essence and the spirit of the idea. She took personal interest in it.”

Initially, the idea to devise a policy to support the industry originated in 2018 during the tenure of former prime minister Imran Khan, but nothing concrete materialized at that point.

The situation of cinemas worsened with Pakistan imposing a ban on Indian films in 2019, followed by huge losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Similarly, Mandviwala said, they requested the government to create a portal to provide health insurance to all artistes, including technicians, instead of providing funds to those appealing for treatment.

“There is no money exchange here. The government will cover the health insurance. We suggested the government to create a portal where every artist can register themselves so they don’t have to beg for it,” he said.

“For film production, the government will pay the bills, pay the artists and take care of other expenses instead of giving money.”

Nadeem Beyg, a leading Pakistani director, said Pakistani cinema was going through a “tough” time right now.

“If the country takes the right turn, it will improve the condition of the film industry too. With better facilities, insurance of artists and import of films, the situation will get better,” Beyg told Arab News.

“At this point it’s more important to keep film culture alive. We need [to make] more films. There is no big Hollywood film coming out to keep local cinemas running after August 2023.”

Sheikh Amjad Rashid, chairman of the Distribution Club (Pvt) Ltd, said he met the information minister last week in Islamabad, where she shared future plans to “promote” the Pakistani film industry.

“A film council will be made once the fund is approved in the budget. It will be a big incentive and will have a big impact on the industry,” Rashid said.

“We aim to promote young filmmakers, particularly those who have studied film from abroad, if they want to make something.”

He said he had requested the minister to provide an incentive to cinema by easing duty and not charging electricity bill on commercial rates.

“Until cinemas grow, the industry won’t grow,” he said.

However, Yasir Hussain, an actor and scriptwriter, questioned how the fund would reach young filmmakers like him.

“Is there a committee or directors’ guild that will distribute the money or will this money go to Syed Noor or old directors,” Hussain asked.

“Or will young, emerging directors like myself will also get an opportunity to make films with this money?”


Director Kaouther Ben Hania rejects Berlin honor over Gaza

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Director Kaouther Ben Hania rejects Berlin honor over Gaza

DUBAI: Kaouther Ben Hania, the Tunisian filmmaker behind “The Voice of Hind Rajab,” refused to accept an award at a Berlin ceremony this week after an Israeli general was recognized at the same event.

The director was due to receive the Most Valuable Film award at the Cinema for Peace gala, held alongside the Berlinale, but chose to leave the prize behind.

On stage, Ben Hania said the moment carried a sense of responsibility rather than celebration. She used her remarks to demand justice and accountability for Hind Rajab, a five-year-old Palestinian girl killed by Israeli soldiers in Gaza in 2024, along with two paramedics who were shot while trying to reach her.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by @artists4ceasefire

“Justice means accountability. Without accountability, there is no peace,” Ben Hania said.

“The Israeli army killed Hind Rajab; killed her family; killed the two paramedics who came to save her, with the complicity of the world’s most powerful governments and institutions,” she said.

“I refuse to let their deaths become a backdrop for a polite speech about peace. Not while the structures that enabled them remain untouched.”

Ben Hania said she would accept the honor “with joy” only when peace is treated as a legal and moral duty, grounded in accountability for genocide.