European film festival underway at Riyadh’s Sahara Mall 

The festival will run until June 14. (@eusimonpa)
Short Url
Updated 09 June 2023
Follow

European film festival underway at Riyadh’s Sahara Mall 

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s second European Film Festival is being held at VOX Cinemas Sahara Mall in Riyadh, with the screening of 16 films from different countries.

The festival, running until June 14, includes Oscar-nominee “Quiet Girl,” “I am Zlatan” by Jens Sjogren, telling the story of Swedish football star Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and “Sugar and Stars” by Riadh Belaiche, which will be screened for the first time in the Arab world at the festival. 

The event is held in cooperation with the embassies of the EU member states and Arabia Pictures Entertainment.

Patrick Simonnet, EU Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, said: “We are keen to be part of the growing cultural scene of Saudi Arabia through various events that foster cultural exchange and engage Europeans and Saudis on aspects of mutual interest such as film in this instance. 

“People-to-people engagement is an important pillar of the EU’s strategic partnership with the Gulf.”

Abdulelah Al-Ahmary, founder of Arabia Pictures Entertainment, said it was keen to make the festival “a special cinematic experience for all the film buffs in Saudi Arabia.”

The festival will also give European and Saudi filmmakers the chance to swap ideas and knowledge at dedicated side events.

Guests will include directors Nuno Beato, Sebastien Tulard and Isabel Fernandez from Portugal, France and Spain respectively, who will meet the audiences and run an open conversation with filmmakers and film enthusiasts.

All screenings and side events will take place at VOX Cinemas Sahara Mall.  The full festival list has films from Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
 


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.