‘Serious’ talks only with PM Sharif, interior minister tells former Pakistani premier Khan

Pakistan Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah addresses a press conference in Islamabad on July 28, 2022. (Photo courtesy: APP/File)
Short Url
Updated 02 June 2023
Follow

‘Serious’ talks only with PM Sharif, interior minister tells former Pakistani premier Khan

  • Khan last week said he was ready to form a commission to hold talks with “powerful people,” widely seen as reference to army
  • PM Sharif has rejected Khan’s offer, saying “anarchists and arsonists” who attacked symbols of the state did not qualify for dialogue

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani interior minister Rana Sanaullah said on Friday “serious negotiations” to end a lingering political crisis in the country could only be held with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, a week after ex-premier Imran Khan appealed for talks with state officials.

Pressure has increased on the popular opposition leader amid a crackdown on his top aides and supporters that has seen thousands arrested as well as many leaving his party. The takedown, which Khan has called a “systematic dismantling” of his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, comes after his supporters stormed and set ablaze a number of military installations across the country last month following Khan’s detention in a land fraud case. Though Khan was released on bail just days later, the government and military announced that those behind the violence would be punished, including through military court trials. The Sharif administration has also threatened to ban the PTI for instigating the violence.

The embattled politician last week said he was ready to form a commission to hold talks with “powerful people,” widely seen as a reference to the military. He has repeatedly said the Sharif government is “irrelevant.”

Khan has been embroiled in a tussle with the military since he was removed from power last year in a parliamentary vote that he says was orchestrated by the country’s top generals. The military denies this.

“If serious negotiations are desired, they can only be done with Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif,” Sanaullah wrote in a Twitter post.

Before Sanaullah’s tweet, Sharif turned down the offer of talks by Khan, saying “anarchists and arsonists” who attacked symbols of the state did not qualify for dialogue.

Sharif’s rejection of the talks’ offer dashed hopes of the lowering of political tensions amid stalled talks between the International Monetary Fund and cash-strapped Pakistan, which is currently trying to avoid a default.

The former international cricket star became prime minister in 2018 with the tacit support of the military, though both sides denied it at the time. He later fell out with generals and was ousted as prime minister after losing a parliamentary confidence vote in 2022.

Khan has since then been campaigning for a snap election, with rallies with his supporters across the country, but Sharif, who replaced him, has rejected the call for an early election.

Under the constitution, the next vote is due in October when the parliament completes its term.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”