Valencia slam ‘disproportionate’ punishment after racial abuse against Vinícius Júnior

Real Madrid’s Brazilian forward Vinicius Junior confronts a Valencia’s official as he leaves after being sent off the pitch by the referee during their Spanish league match at the Mestalla stadium in Valencia on May 21, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 24 May 2023
Follow

Valencia slam ‘disproportionate’ punishment after racial abuse against Vinícius Júnior

  • Spanish soccer’s competition committee late Tuesday fined Valencia in 45,000 euros and closed one of the sections of Mestalla Stadium for five games
  • Vinícius, who is Black, has been subjected to repeated racial insults since he arrived to play in Spain five years ago

MADRID: Valencia will appeal the partial closure of their stadium following the racial abuse directed at Real Madrid forward Vinícius Júnior in a Spanish league match, saying the punishment is “unfair and disproportionate.”
Spanish soccer’s competition committee late Tuesday fined Valencia in 45,000 euros ($48,500) and closed one of the sections of Mestalla Stadium for five games in what is the strongest ever punishment for a club in a case of racism in Spain.
The punishment was part of a strong response by soccer officials and Spanish authorities following an outpouring of support for Vinícius after he was targeted by Valencia fans on Sunday.
Vinícius, who is Black, has been subjected to repeated racial insults since he arrived to play in Spain five years ago. The 22-year-old Brazil forward heavily criticized Spain and its lack of action against racism after the latest incident against him.
“Valencia wants to express their complete disagreement and indignation over the unfair and disproportionate penalty imposed by the competition committee,” the club said in a statement early Wednesday. “Valencia want to publicly denounce that the evidence shown by the committee contradicts what the police and La Liga say. This sanction is based on evidence that the club have not been able to see.”
Valencia also complained that they were not given a chance to defend themselves before the ruling was made. The club said they have been cooperating with police from the start and have acted strongly to condemn what happened at their stadium.
Valencia said not long after the game they would work with authorities to identify those responsible for the abuse, and a day later they banned one person for life for being involved in the incident against Vinícius.
With the club’s cooperation, police arrested three people on suspicion of a hate crime for their allege abuse against the Brazilian on Sunday, with all being banned for life from the stadium. The club said that was the maximum punishment they could impose.
“To punish fans who were not involved in these lamentable incidents is a measure completely disproportionate, unfair and unprecedented,” Valencia said. “We will fight against it until the end.”
The three people spoke to police and were set free as the investigation against them continues. Four other people were detained in Madrid after being accused of hanging an effigy of Vinícius off a highway bridge in January.
Fans have been fined and banned before for attacks on Vinícius, but so far no one in Spain has ever gone to trial on criminal charges for racially abusing a player.
Spain created a specific law against violence, racism, xenophobia and intolerance in sports in 2007, and since then an anti-violence commission composed of several entities has been in charge of monitoring and denouncing cases that may break the law.
But the current legislation stipulates that not all cases of racism can be punished criminally, only those in which there is an extra element affecting the victim. Most cases, including many similar to the ones involving the fans in Valencia, end up falling into a category in which punishment only includes fines and bans from stadiums.
Valencia, which are still fighting against relegation to the second division, have one home game left in the league this season, against Espanyol on Sunday. Espanyol are also trying to avoid demotion. Valencia are in 13th place, five points from the relegation zone.
The section of Mestalla that will be closed is where the insults against Vinícius came from, behind one of the goals. It’s also where the club’s more hardcore fans usually are located.
The committee late Tuesday also rescinded the red card shown to Vinícius after an altercation with Valencia players late in the game, saying video review did not show the referee images of the full altercation, including the part in which the Brazilian was grabbed from behind by an opponent.
The highly unusual decision drew surprise by many.
“Acts of racism and insults must be censored, but what happens on the field is different,” Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez said. “It’s clear that there was an aggression (by Vinícius) and I am surprised that they took away the red card. One thing has nothing to do with the other.”
Late Tuesday, about 100 Brazilian protesters gathered outside the Spanish consulate in Sao Paulo to condemn the racist abuse against Vinícius. The protesters chanted “La Liga is racist” and “end with racism in Spain and in Brazil” for about an hour.


Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

  • Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time

GIRONA, Spain: Spanish champions Barcelona fell to a damaging 2-1 defeat at Girona on Monday to leave them trailing Real Madrid by two points at the top of La Liga.
Los Blancos beat Real Sociedad on Saturday to overtake the Catalans and Hansi Flick’s side could not defeat Girona in an gripping derby clash to reclaim the lead.
Teenage star Lamine Yamal missed a penalty for Barcelona, who took the lead through defender Pau Cubarsi just before the hour mark.
However goals from Thomas Lemar and Fran Beltran helped Girona, 12th, mount an impressive comeback.
“We have to improve because they can’t score these two goals against us,” Cubarsi told DAZN.
“We have to be self-critical, we didn’t play a great game, we have to improve, but now we have to rest and charge our batteries.”
Both sides were attacking with abandon in the first half and it was remarkable they went in goalless at the break.
Raphinha whipped a shot narrowly wide and Yamal fired straight at Girona goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga when through on goal.
At the other end Ukrainian striker Vladyslav Vanat missed a slew of presentable opportunities.
Ferran Torres fired a good chance wide for Barca and Raphinha drove against the upright as Flick’s side pushed for the opener.
They should have got it when Dani Olmo was clumsily felled in the box by Daley Blind, but Yamal hit the post from the spot.
Barcelona eventually took the lead through Pau Cubarsi’s header from Jules Kounde’s cross after 59 minutes, but Girona swiftly pulled level.
Thomas Lemar slipped away from Eric Garcia and turned home Vanat’s pass from close range.
It shifted the momentum in Girona’s favor and Barca were left relying on some stunning saves from goalkeeper Joan Garcia to keep them afloat.
The stopper denied Ivan Martin and Vanat with a remarkable double save, and then thwarted Joel Roca with his leg.
Barca could not stem the tide and Girona forced their way in front after 87 minutes, with Fran Beltran stroking home from the edge of the area.
The visitors, who last week made an official complaint to the Spanish football federation over perceived refereeing inconsistencies, were left fuming after Kounde was fouled by Claudio Echeverri in the build-up and it went unpunished.
Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time.
It did the job and the hosts celebrated wildly at the end with their jubilant fans at Montilivi, as Flick demanded explanations from the referee.
“It seemed like a foul (on Kounde) to me, but we shouldn’t focus on decisions we can’t control,” said Barca defender Gerard Martin.