ROME: Greenpeace Italy is suing Italian energy giant ENI for its contribution to global warming, it said Tuesday, in the latest in a raft of climate lawsuits around the world.
The environmental organization and fellow green campaigner ReCommon filed the suit along with 12 citizens from areas of Italy severely affected by extreme weather events, Greenpeace said in a statement.
The suit was “for past and potential future damages resulting from its contribution to climate change, of which ENI was well aware but chose to ignore for decades,” it said.
The lawsuit also includes ENI’s two main shareholders, the economy ministry and Italy’s state lender Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (CDP), both of which “strongly influence the company’s policies.”
Greenpeace said ENI’s policies were “in blatant violation of the Paris Agreement” signed by Italy, which it said had direct implications for the climate commitments of companies like ENI.
“ENI scored record profits in 2022, yet it continues to invest in expanding its fossil fuels business, dismissing climate impacts and ignoring local communities,” said Chiara Campione from Greenpeace.
The plaintiffs have asked the court in Rome to rule on whether or not ENI has caused damages through “violations of their human rights to life, health, and private and family life.”
The suit is the first of its kind against a private company in Italy.
In recent years, a growing number of organizations and citizens have turned to the courts to criticize what they say is government inaction on the climate.
Greenpeace sues Italian energy giant ENI
Short Url
https://arab.news/w5tkc
Greenpeace sues Italian energy giant ENI
- The environmental organisation and fellow green campaigner ReCommon filed the suit along with 12 citizens from areas of Italy
- Greenpeace said ENI's policies were "in blatant violation of the Paris Agreement" signed by Italy
Azerbaijan jails ex-Karabakh leader for 20 years on war crimes charge
BAKU: Azerbaijan on Tuesday sentenced the former Karabakh separatist leader Ruben Vardanyan to 20 years in prison, the latest ruling against Armenian secessionists detained after Baku’s takeover of the region.
Azerbaijan’s seizure of its breakaway enclave of Karabakh in 2023 ended nearly three decades of control by Armenian separatists, prompting the mountainous territory’s entire ethnic Armenian population — more than 100,000 people — to flee.
After regaining control of the region, Baku arrested several separatist leaders on war crimes charges. Armenia has demanded their release.
The Baku Military Court sentenced Vardanyan to 20 years behind bars “under articles of the criminal code relating to crimes against peace and humanity, war crimes, as well as articles connected with terrorism, and financing of terrorism.”
Vardanyan has rejected the charges and declared himself a political prisoner.
A former Russian banker who made his vast fortune as co-founder of the Moscow investment bank Troika Dialog, Vardanyan headed Karabakh’s self-declared Armenian administration between November 2022 and February 2023 after renouncing his Russian nationality.
Forbes magazine estimates his family’s wealth at $1.1 billion.
His trial opened in January 2025, separately from proceedings against 15 other former separatist officials, who were sentenced this month to terms of up to life imprisonment in a war crimes trial.
Armenia has demanded the release of the detainees and said it would pursue “all possible steps,” including international legal action, to protect their rights.
Last year, Amnesty International raised concerns about Vardanyan’s detention conditions and fair trial guarantees, citing allegations that he was held in solitary confinement and pressured to sign documents in a language he does not understand.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan signed a peace agreement last year, mediated by US President Donald Trump.
Azerbaijan’s seizure of its breakaway enclave of Karabakh in 2023 ended nearly three decades of control by Armenian separatists, prompting the mountainous territory’s entire ethnic Armenian population — more than 100,000 people — to flee.
After regaining control of the region, Baku arrested several separatist leaders on war crimes charges. Armenia has demanded their release.
The Baku Military Court sentenced Vardanyan to 20 years behind bars “under articles of the criminal code relating to crimes against peace and humanity, war crimes, as well as articles connected with terrorism, and financing of terrorism.”
Vardanyan has rejected the charges and declared himself a political prisoner.
A former Russian banker who made his vast fortune as co-founder of the Moscow investment bank Troika Dialog, Vardanyan headed Karabakh’s self-declared Armenian administration between November 2022 and February 2023 after renouncing his Russian nationality.
Forbes magazine estimates his family’s wealth at $1.1 billion.
His trial opened in January 2025, separately from proceedings against 15 other former separatist officials, who were sentenced this month to terms of up to life imprisonment in a war crimes trial.
Armenia has demanded the release of the detainees and said it would pursue “all possible steps,” including international legal action, to protect their rights.
Last year, Amnesty International raised concerns about Vardanyan’s detention conditions and fair trial guarantees, citing allegations that he was held in solitary confinement and pressured to sign documents in a language he does not understand.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev and Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan signed a peace agreement last year, mediated by US President Donald Trump.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.









