Man suffering from Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever passes away in Karachi

In this file photo, taken on February 3, 2020, a Pakistani doctor walks out of an isolation ward at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center in Karachi. (Photo courtesy: AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 07 May 2023
Follow

Man suffering from Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever passes away in Karachi

  • Humans can catch the disease through contact with infected animals and transmit it to people around them
  • Sindh health authorities say the 28-year-old patient worked as a butcher and handled slaughtered animals

ISLAMABAD: Health authorities in Pakistan’s southern Sindh province confirmed on Sunday a man lost his life at a local hospital in Karachi earlier this week due to Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF) after verification of his test results.

CCHF is a viral hemorrhagic disease that is transmitted to humans through contact with infected animals, mainly through the handling of livestock or their blood, tissue, or excrement. It can also be transmitted from human to human through direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of an infected person.

The disease has a high fatality rate, and there is currently no vaccine or specific treatment for it.

According to the details provided by the health authorities, the patient, Muhammad Adil, was 28 years old and worked as a butcher. He developed a high-grade fever and headache toward the end of April and was admitted to a local hospital on May 2.

“The patient had episodes of bleeding from nose and mucous membranes,” said a document shared by the provincial health authorities. “His initial investigations for Dengue and Malaria came out to be negative.”

As his condition deteriorated, he was given critical care treatment at the Ziauddin Hospital in North Nazimabad Karachi.

“Despite intensive care, the patient expired [on May 5],” the document added.

Health authorities across the world urge the public, especially those who work in close contact with animals, to take precautionary measures, follow strict hygiene practices, wear protective gear, and seek immediate medical attention if any symptoms of the disease are observed.

According to the provincial health officials in Sindh, the 28-year-old had no travel history which suggested that he recently left Karachi. However, he handled slaughtered animals since he worked at a local meat shop in the city.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”