British Council employees in Khartoum trapped in office as conflict rages

This video grab taken from AFPTV video footage on April 19, 2023, shows an aerial view of black smoke covering the sky above the capital Khartoum. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 April 2023
Follow

British Council employees in Khartoum trapped in office as conflict rages

  • ‘We are terrified — the fighting is all around us,’ worker tells The Guardian
  • Group of 9 staff low on food after canteen supplies run out

LONDON: British Council employees in the Sudanese capital Khartoum have been trapped in their office for five days as fighting continues between the country’s army and Rapid Support Forces paramilitary, The Guardian reported.

The group of nine workers, including a security guard, English teacher, driver, and administrators, are all Sudanese, except for one British Ugandan dual citizen.

Almost 300 people have been killed in clashes around Khartoum since fighting broke out last week between the Sudan Armed Forces and the paramilitary led by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.

The British Council building is located near the capital’s military headquarters and presidential palace, with the most intense clashes having taken place nearby.

One of the trapped employees, Mohamad Berer, told The Guardian: “We are terrified — the fighting is all around us. We have been patient, but now, honestly, we are starting to (be) feeling anxious.

“We have been given promises by our manager since the beginning that they will evacuate us, but nothing has happened, so now we are calling for people on the outside to help get us out.”

Power to the building has been cut but water is still available through taps.

However, the nine employees are running low on food supplies after having exhausted the building’s canteen stockpile.

Another employee told The Guardian: “I am very angry and scared of what’s been going on, there are some false promises to get us out, but nothing is happening — we are waiting, and the situation is increasingly hard for us.

Other foreigners, including Egyptian, Syrian, and US citizens, are also believed to be stranded in the Sudanese capital as a result of the conflict.

A British Council spokesperson said: “The safety and security of our colleagues is our highest priority. We are doing everything in our power to help our colleagues find safe passage to an alternative location.”


Syria welcomes Canada’s decision to amend sanctions

Syria’s Central Bank governor, Abdulkader Husarieh. (SANA)
Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Syria welcomes Canada’s decision to amend sanctions

  • Husarieh said the decision could pave the way for Canadian participation in Syria’s reconstruction and infrastructure development

DAMSCUS: Syria’s Central Bank governor, Abdulkader Husarieh, commended the Canadian government’s decision to amend the sanctions imposed on Damascus under the Special Economic Measures Regulations, including the lifting of the comprehensive economic embargo in place since May 2011.
In a post published on his personal Facebook page, Husarieh described the move as an important milestone that reinforces the implementation of understandings reached during his recent visit to Canada.
He added that the amendment provides an opportunity to boost economic relations and activate cooperation between Canadian and Syrian banks and financial institutions.
Husarieh said the decision could pave the way for Canadian participation in Syria’s reconstruction and infrastructure development.
Meanwhile, the Syrian Arab Red Crescent and the Turkish Red Crescent signed cooperation agreements on Friday to strengthen humanitarian efforts in Syria amid ongoing crises and economic hardship.
Syrian Arab Red Crescent President Hazem Bakleh met in Damascus with Alper Kucuk, the Turkish Red Crescent’s director general for international affairs and migration services, to discuss rising humanitarian needs and ways to enhance coordination in support of vulnerable communities.
According to a statement released by the Syrian organization, the agreement provides for expanding relief and service activities.
It includes support for the construction of a new Red Crescent branch headquarters in Idlib province and the launch of a project to distribute hot meals and bread in Damascus and Aleppo during the holy month of Ramadan.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent has sought to broaden partnerships with regional and international organizations in recent years to strengthen its operational capacity across multiple provinces, as the country continues to face economic strain and humanitarian challenges affecting large segments of the population.