Google to include chatbot AI in its search engine, CEO announces

Google released Bard to the public in February, its own AI chatbot that is similar to ChatGPT, hinting at possible plans to integrate the technology into its search engine. (Reuters/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 07 April 2023
Follow

Google to include chatbot AI in its search engine, CEO announces

  • Sundar Pichai says company is testing several new products
  • Opportunity will give more power and flexibility, insists chief

LONDON: Google plans to include conversational artificial intelligence features in its search engine as it seeks to respond to changes brought about by the rapidly changing industry, says Sundar Pichai.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, the Alphabet and Google CEO said AI will enhance user experience to give people more power and flexibility when searching online.

Pichai said: “Will people be able to ask questions to Google and engage with LLMs in the context of search? Absolutely.”

Google is a pioneer in the field of large language models, the term used to refer to AI models that can generate natural language texts from large amounts of data.

The technology is at the heart of services like ChatGPT, the AI chatbot sensation released to the public in the autumn of last year by OpenAI.

Microsoft recently launched an upgraded version of its Bing search engine, which is now powered by ChatGPT. The company said that the new search engine helped it exceed 100 million daily active users last month.

Along with adding it to Bing, the firm spearheaded by Satya Nadella is also integrating the chatbot technology into its Edge browser as well as other Microsoft 365 applications and services.

Google has long been the dominant player in the field of search engine technology, offering a fast and simple way to access information online.

The algorithm that powers its search engine has been the driving force of the business, accounting for more than half of the revenue at parent Alphabet.

Pichai dismissed the potential threat posed by chatbots and added that “the opportunity space, if anything, is bigger than before.”

Google released Bard to the public in February, its own AI chatbot that is similar to ChatGPT, hinting at possible plans to integrate the technology into its search engine.

Pichai added: “It has been incredible to see user excitement around adoption of these technologies, and some of that is a pleasant surprise as well.”

Although Google insists on saying that Bard is an “experiment” and a “powerful technology” that should be used in a “responsible way,” Pichai confirmed that the tech giant is “thoughtfully integrating LLMs into search in a deeper way.”

However, Google has not yet released any specific information about when or how it plans to integrate the technology.

Pichai said that Google is testing several new AI-powered search products, including ones that would allow people to ask follow-up questions to their original query.

Google announced in March that it was working on testing AI features for its Workspace tools, including Gmail and Docs.

Although the AI race has injected fresh energy and optimism into the tech industry, the sector is in the midst of a transition that includes cost-cutting and layoffs due to economic uncertainty.

Google earlier this week announced cuts of some employee perks, ranging from dining facilities to the company’s computing infrastructure.


Gabon cuts off Facebook, TikTok after protests

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Gabon cuts off Facebook, TikTok after protests

Libreville, Gabon: Facebook and TikTok were no longer available in Gabon on Wednesday, AFP journalists said, after regulators said they were suspending social media over national security concerns amid anti-government protests.
Gabon’s media regulator on Tuesday announced the suspension of social media platforms until further notice, saying that online posts were stoking conflict.
The High Authority for Communication imposed “the immediate suspension of social media platforms in Gabon,” its spokesman Jean-Claude Mendome said in a televised statement.
He said “inappropriate, defamatory, hateful, and insulting content” was undermining “human dignity, public morality, the honor of citizens, social cohesion, the stability of the Republic’s institutions, and national security.”
The communications body spokesman also cited the “spread of false information,” “cyberbullying” and “unauthorized disclosure of personal data” as reasons for the decision.
“These actions are likely, in the case of Gabon, to generate social conflict, destabilize the institutions of the Republic, and seriously jeopardize national unity, democratic progress, and achievements,” he added.
The regulator did not specify any social media platforms that would be included in the ban.
But it said “freedom of expression, including freedom of comment and criticism,” remained “a fundamental right enshrined in Gabon.”

‘Climate of fear’

Less than a year after being elected, Gabonese President Brice Oligui Nguema has faced his first wave of social unrest, with teachers on strike and other civil servants threatening to do the same.
School teachers began striking over pay and conditions in December and protests over similar demands have since spread to other public sectors — health, higher education and broadcasting.
Opposition leader Alain-Claude Billie-By-Nze said the social media crackdown imposed “a climate of fear and repression” in the central African state.
In an overnight post on Facebook, he called on civil groups “and all Gabonese people dedicated to freedom to mobilize and block this liberty-destroying excess.”
The last action by teachers took place in 2022 under then president Ali Bongo, whose family ruled the small central African country for 55 years.
Oligui overthrew Bongo in a military coup a few months later and acted on some of the teachers’ concerns, buying calm during the two-year transition period that led up to the presidential election in April 2025.
He won that election with a huge majority, generating high expectations with promises that he would turn the country around and improve living standards.
A wage freeze decided a decade ago by the Bongo government has left teachers struggling to cope with the rising cost of living.
Authorities last month arrested two prominent figures from the teachers’ protest movement, leaving teachers and parents afraid to discuss the strike in public.