Tunisia’s Saied reappears in public, dismisses ‘mad’ speculations

The lack of statements or videos has sparked rumors over the state of Saied’s health. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 04 April 2023
Follow

Tunisia’s Saied reappears in public, dismisses ‘mad’ speculations

TUNIS: Tunisian President Kais Saied appeared in a video posted Monday on his official Facebook page, dismissing “mad” reports over his health following almost two weeks with no public engagements.
The North African country’s main opposition coalition had pressed the government earlier to explain Saied’s public “absence,” saying it had information that he was sick.
“These people deserve nothing but contempt,” Saied said in the video, referring to his political rivals.
“The president is absent for two or three days, he gets a cold and that becomes a problem, a power vacuum?“
Saied, 65, had not appeared in public or held any meetings since March 22, according to posts on Facebook — the presidency’s only official channel of communication.
The lack of statements or videos has sparked rumors over the state of Saied’s health.
Speaking alongside Prime Minister Najla Bouden, the president said the reports reflected “a level of madness never seen before in Tunisia.

Earlier on Monday, Ahmed Nejib Chebbi of the National Salvation Front opposition coalition told journalists: “We ask the government to address the Tunisian people and say if the president has health problems that have forced him to be absent.”
Chebbi said Bouden would run Tunisia in the event of a temporary power vacuum, but that a permanent vacancy would present the country with a “great catastrophe” due to a legislative void.
In his video, Saied accused unnamed people of “trying to create crises” by talking of a power vacuum.
“These people have lost the plot, they’re obsessed with power,” he said.
Saied, who staged a dramatic power grab in July 2021 and has since ruled by decree, last year rammed through a constitution giving his office unlimited powers and neutering parliament.
Since February, security forces have arrested over 20 public figures, including top members of the opposition.
Those targeted include members of the once-powerful Islamist-inspired Ennahdha party and political activists, as well as lawyers, businessmen and the head of a popular radio station known for giving a platform to criticism of the president.
Saied has publicly alleged they were plotting against the state and labelled them “terrorists.”

 


US will prevent Iranian nuclear bomb ‘one way or the other’

Updated 16 sec ago
Follow

US will prevent Iranian nuclear bomb ‘one way or the other’

  • Implicit threat of miitary action but Tehran remains optimistic of deal

TEHRAN, PARIS: The US will prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons “one way or the other,” US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.
US President Donald Trump “believes firmly we cannot have a nuclear-armed Iran,” Wright said as the International Energy Agency met in Paris. “They’ve been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It’s entirely unacceptable.
“So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran’s march toward a nuclear weapon.”

Despite the implicit threat of military action, which Trump has said is not off the table amid a massive increase in US military forces in the region, Iranian officials remain optimistic that an agreement can be reached after talks in Geneva on Tuesday that Tehran described as “constructive.”

In a call with Rafael Grossi, head of the UN nuclear watchdog the International Atomic Energy Agency, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran said was drafting a framework for future talks with Washington. Iran’s focus was on drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance talks with the US, he said. However, US Vice President J.D. Vance said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington’s red lines.

Earlier on Wednesday Reza Najafi, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN nuclear agency in Vienna, met Grossi and the ambassadors of China and Russia “to exchange views” on the forthcoming session of the agency's board of governors and “developments related to Iran’s nuclear program,” Iran’s mission in Vienna said.

Tehran has suspended some cooperation with the agency and restricted the watchdog's inspectors from accessing sites bombed by Israel and the US during a 12-day war in June. It accuses the UN body of bias and of failing to condemn the strikes.