China rolled over $2 billion loan to Pakistan on March 23 — finance minister

This handout picture, released by Finance Ministry on January 17, 2023, shows Pakistan's finance minister Ishaq Dar chairing the Economic Coordination Committee in Islamabad. (Photo courtesy: Twitter/FinMinistryPak)
Short Url
Updated 31 March 2023
Follow

China rolled over $2 billion loan to Pakistan on March 23 — finance minister

  • Finance minister Ishaq Dar says Chinese loan no more in the pipeline
  • Rollover critical for Pakistan as it faces a balance of payment crisis

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said on Friday China had rolled over a $2 billion loan to the cash-strapped country on March 23, dismissing what he called “speculative” media reports that the loan was still in the pipeline.

The rollover of the loan is critical for Pakistan as it faces a balance of payment crisis, soaring inflation, and dwindling foreign exchange reserves, barely enough to cover a month of controlled imports.

Islamabad has been negotiating with the IMF since early February for the release of $1.1 billion from a $6.5 billion bailout package agreed in 2019.

One of the IMF's conditions for the release of the tranche is assurance of external financing to fund Pakistan's balance of payments. Longtime ally Beijing is the only help Islamabad has got so far, with refinancing of $1.8 billion credited last month to Pakistan's central bank.

“I am happy to confirm that this [loan] had been rolled over on March 23,” the finance minister told parliament on Friday, responding to a Reuters report this week that quoted an anonymous source as saying China was still working on a request by Pakistan to roll over a $2-billion loan that matured last week.

“The documentation [related to the loan] for 2023 and 2024 has been completed, this loan stands rollover and is no longer in the pipeline.”

Dar's comments were the first official announcement of the rollover after the loan matured. Dar did not give the new maturity date or other terms of the arrangement.


Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

  • Unexploded mortar shell in Bajaur home kills one, injures nine including children
  • Motorcycle bomb near Bannu police station kills two, wounds 12 civilians

PESHAWAR: At least three people were killed and more than 20 others injured in two separate explosions in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, officials said on Monday.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border. 

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

In the first incident, a senior police officer Anwar Zeb told Arab News a suspected mortar shell exploded in Salarzai, a remote town in Bajaur district, killing one person and injuring nine others.

“Initial reports indicated that children had found an unexploded mortar shell and brought it home, where it later detonated late Sunday evening,” he added.

Riaz Khan, media officer at Bajaur Rescue1122, said those injured in the blast included men, women and children.

“A rescue team was swiftly dispatched to the area to evacuate those dead and injured to the nearest medical facility,” he added.

In a separate incident, a remote-controlled bomb planted in a motorcycle exploded near Miryan Police Station in southern Bannu district, according to Aamir Khan, spokesman to Regional Police Officer.

“The explosive device had been installed in a motorcycle parked near shops in front of the police facility, killing two civilians while 12 others sustained injuries,” he added.

Security forces cordoned off the area immediately after the explosion and launched a search operation.

Investigations into both incidents are ongoing.