‘The Beatles’ Daesh cell member loses sanity assessment, moved to America’s toughest supermax prison

Sudan-born, El Shafee Elsheikh, a Deash cell famous for “The Beatles”, faces eight life sentences for hostage-taking, conspiracy to murder US citizens and supporting a terrorist organization. (Screengrab)
Short Url
Updated 18 March 2023
Follow

‘The Beatles’ Daesh cell member loses sanity assessment, moved to America’s toughest supermax prison

  • El Shafee Elsheikh claimed he suffered from poor mental health to avoid being jailed in ADX Florence in Colorado
  • Unnamed US prison official quoted as saying ‘Elsheikh will rot in the closest thing America has to hell on Earth’

DUBAI: A member of a Deash cell known as “The Beatles” faces dying alone in an American prison, described by an ex-warden as a “place not designed for humanity,” after his appeal for a sanity assessment was rejected.
Having been given in August eight life sentences for hostage-taking, conspiracy to murder US citizens and supporting a terrorist organization, El Shafee Elsheikh, 34, had claimed that he suffered from poor mental health to avoid being jailed in ADX Florence in Colorado, the Daily Mail reported on Saturday.
Elsheikh dodged being jailed for some time at the toughest supermax jail in the US, also labeled the “Alcatraz of the Rockies,” after submitting his claim.
Following his mental assessment, the 34-year-old, who was one of four terrorists in a Daesh cell in Iraq and Syria called “The Beatles” by their captors due to their British accents, was moved to ADX Florence earlier in March, reported the Mirror.
He is now said to be serving his eight life sentences in solitary confinement in a 7-by-12-foot cell.
An unnamed US prison official was quoted as saying that “Elsheikh will rot in the closest thing America has to hell on Earth.”
“The Beatles” comprised Elsheikh, Aine Davis, Alexanda Kotey and Mohammed Emwazi. The latter was nicknamed Jihadi John and was killed in a drone strike in Syria in 2015.
Media reports cited US officials as saying that “The Beatles,” whose members were brought up in west London, had decapitated 27 hostages. Other hostages have alleged that the Daesh cell tortured people using electric shocks and mock executions.
Elsheikh was found guilty in April 2022 and later sentenced in August to eight life sentences with no option for parole while his crimes were branded “brutal” and “horrific.”
Sudan-born, Elsheikh was convicted of conspiring to kill four American hostages: journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, and aid workers Peter Kassig and Kayla Mueller.
Two other Brits, shoe bomber Richard Reid, 49, and Abu Hamza, 64, are also serving life sentences in ADX Florence.
The 34-year-old was apprehended alongside Kotey in Syria in 2018 by the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces during the duo’s bid to escape to Turkiye.
After pleading guilty in 2021, Kotey was jailed in the US in April 2022 for his part in the killings.
Meanwhile, Davis was imprisoned in Turkiye before being repatriated to the UK in September 2022.
Elsheikh’s judgment came on the eight-year anniversary of the day that Daesh uploaded a video to YouTube showing the gruesome beheading of Foley.
The attorney representing the victims’ families said Elsheikh remained “defiantly remorseless and unrepentant” during his sentencing.
The charges against Elsheikh, whose British citizenship was withdrawn in 2018, carried a potential death sentence, but US prosecutors had agreed not to seek his execution in a deal with British officials to carry forward the case.
Commander Richard Smith, head of counterterrorism at London’s Metropolitan Police Service, told the Daily Mail: “This is one of the most significant international terrorism cases ever brought to trial…These were some of the most barbaric terrorist acts ever seen, carried out with chilling callousness and brutality.”
Elsheikh is the most notorious and highest-ranking member of Daesh to ever be convicted in a US court, prosecutors said.
 


Brazil’s Lula urges Trump to treat all countries equally

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Brazil’s Lula urges Trump to treat all countries equally

NEW DELHI: Brazil’s President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva urged Donald Trump on Sunday to treat all countries equally after the US leader imposed a 15 percent tariff on imports following an adverse Supreme Court ruling.
“I want to tell the US President Donald Trump that we don’t want a new Cold War. We don’t want interference in any other country, we want all countries to be treated equally,” Lula told reporters in New Delhi.
The conservative-majority Supreme Court ruled six to three on Friday that a 1977 law Trump has relied on to slap sudden levies on individual countries, upending global trade, “does not authorize the President to impose tariffs.”
Lula said he would not like to react to the Supreme Court decisions of another country, but hoped that Brazil’s relations with the United States “will go back to normalcy” soon.
The veteran leftist leader is expected to travel to Washington next month for a meeting with Trump.
“I am convinced that Brazil-US relation will go back to normalcy after our conversation,” Lula, 80, said, adding that Brazil only wanted to “live in peace, generate jobs, and improve the lives of our people.”
Lula and Trump, 79, stand on polar opposite sides when it comes to issues such as multilateralism, international trade and the fight against climate change.
However, ties between Brazil and the United States appear to be on the mend after months of animosity between Washington and Brasilia.
As a result, Trump’s administration has exempted key Brazilian exports from 40 percent tariffs that had been imposed on the South American country last year.

‘Affinity’ 

“The world doesn’t need more turbulence, it needs peace,” said Lula, who arrived in India on Wednesday for a summit on artificial intelligence and a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Ties between Washington and Brasilia soured in recent months, with Trump angered over the trial and conviction of his ally, the far-right former Brazil president Jair Bolsonaro.
Trump imposed sanctions against several top officials, including a Supreme Court judge, to punish Brazil for what he termed a “witch hunt” against Bolsonaro.
Bolsonaro was sentenced to 27 years in prison for his role in a botched coup bid after his 2022 election loss to Lula.
Lula said that, as the two largest democracies in the Americas, he looked forward to a positive relationship with the United States.
“We are two men of 80 years of age, so we cannot play around with democracy,” he said.
“We have to take this very seriously. We have to shake hands eye-to-eye, person-to-person, and to discuss what is best for the US and Brazil.”
Lula also praised Modi after India and Brazil agreed to boost cooperation on critical minerals and rare earths and signed a raft of other deals on Saturday.
“I have a lot of affinity with Prime Minister Modi,” he said.
Lula will travel to South Korea later on Sunday for meetings with President Lee Jae Myung and to attend a business forum.