UN Secretary-General delivers statement on International Day to Combat Islamophobia

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 March 2023
Follow

UN Secretary-General delivers statement on International Day to Combat Islamophobia

  • Antonio Guterres noted that Muslims, particularly women, are frequently subjected to bigotry because of their faith

NEW YORK: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres emphasized that Islam’s message of peace, compassion and grace has inspired people across the world for millennia, Emirates News Agency reported.  

Guterres called for action to counter anti-Muslim hatred in his statement on the International Day to Combat Islamophobia. He noted that nearly 2 billion Muslims worldwide are frequently subjected to bigotry due to their faith. 

The UN chief also emphasized the triple discrimination faced by Muslim women because of their gender, ethnicity and faith. He added that rising anti-Muslim sentiment is part of a resurgence of ethnonationalism, neo-Nazi white supremacist ideologies, and violence against vulnerable populations such as Muslims, Jews, minority Christian communities, and others. 

Discrimination diminishes everyone, he said, and it is thus the responsibility of all to fight it.

Guterres called for policies that fully respect human rights and protect religious and cultural identities to strengthen defenses against discrimination. He also advocated for greater investment in social cohesion and the recognition of diversity as a source of wealth in order to combat bigotry. 

The UN secretary-general stressed that all major faiths and traditions call for tolerance, respect and mutual understanding. He called on people to confront the forces of division by reaffirming their common humanity every day, not just on the International Day to Combat Islamophobia.


Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed

JOHANNESBURG: A conservative media critic picked by President Donald Trump to be US ambassador to South Africa has arrived to take up his post, the US embassy said Tuesday, as relations between the countries remain fraught.
Brent Bozell’s arrival has been keenly awaited with ties between South Africa and the United States becoming increasingly strained after Trump returned to office in January 2025.
“I’m confirming that he’s in country,” a US embassy official told AFP. Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa to frayed relations
Trump announced that he had chosen Bozell for the job in March, soon after expelling South Africa’s ambassador on accusations that he was critical of Washington. Pretoria has yet to announce a successor.
Trump said at the time that Bozell “brings fearless tenacity, extraordinary experience, and vast knowledge to a nation that desperately needs it.”
The ambassador-designate still needs to present his credentials to President Cyril Ramaphosa before officially taking up his post.
The embassy and South Africa’s foreign ministry could not say when this would happen.
Bozell, 70, is founder of the Media Research Center, a non-profit that says it works to “expose and counter the leftist bias of the national news media.”
One of the several sticking points between Washington and Pretoria is South Africa’s genocide case against Israel at the International Court of Justice.
Bozell is reported to be a strong defender of Israel. Pretoria expelled Israel’s top diplomat last month, citing a “series of violations.”
The Trump administration boycotted South Africa’s G20 in Johannesburg last year and has not invited the nation to its own hosting of the group of leading economies this year.
The United States is South Africa’s second-biggest trading partner by country after China.
The previous ambassador, Reuben Brigety, resigned in November 2024, just before Trump took office.