Pakistan ruling coalition seeks full court bench in Punjab, KP election delay case

Policemen sit beside the Pakistan's Supreme Court building during a hearing in Islamabad on April 6, 2022. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 26 February 2023
Follow

Pakistan ruling coalition seeks full court bench in Punjab, KP election delay case

  • Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial earlier formed a nine-member bench to consider questions related to matter
  • The controversy emerged after acting governors of both provinces refused to give a date for the elections

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani ruling coalition on Saturday petitioned the Supreme Court for the formation of a full court bench, except Justice Ijazul Ahsan and Justice Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi, to conduct suo motu proceedings on a delay in the announcement of dates for elections in the Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa assemblies. 

In an attempt to force the government to hold early elections, former prime minister Imran Khan's PTI party dissolved the two provincial legislatures in January. Both regions account for more than half of the country's 220 million population. 

Under Pakistani law, fresh polls for the two provincial assemblies should be held within 90 days, and Khan's PTI has been gambling on the national government being unable to afford to hold the provincial elections separately from a national election, which is otherwise due by October. 

As the Election Commission of Pakistan’s (ECP) consultations with the attorney general and legal experts to decide on the election date ended inconclusively on Wednesday, Chief Justice of Pakistan Umar Ata Bandial took notice of the delay and announced the formation of a nine-member bench to consider who has the constitutional authority and responsibility to determine the election date.  

However, the PML-N, PPP and JUI-F parties, which are part of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif-led ruling coalition in the center, filed a petition seeking the formation of a full court bench in the case, excluding Justice Ahsan and Justice Naqvi, who the parties said had a "definite opinion" in the case. 

"It is therefore most respectfully prayed that the Honorable Court be graciously pleased to constitute a bench comprising of all judges of the Honorable Supreme Court of Pakistan (excluding Honorable Mr Justice Ijazul Ahsan and Honorable Mr Justice Sayyed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi) to hear the titled petitions," it read. 

"The prayer has been made in the best interest of justice and to strengthen the confidence of the public in the Supreme Court of Pakistan." 

A two-member bench comprising Justice Ahsan and Justice Naqvi last week referred the matter to Chief Justice Bandial for suo motu proceedings. The election issue cropped up during the hearing of a case regarding the transfer of Lahore police chief Ghulam Mehmood Dogar. 

The controversy over the provincial assembly election dates emerged after the respective acting governors of the two provinces refused to give a date for the polls. The matter is also pending in the Lahore and Peshawar High Court for adjudication. 

President Arif Alvi, earlier this week, announced April 9 as the date for elections in KP and Punjab. He accused the governors of both provinces of delaying the elections, adding that it was his constitutional duty to announce polls in such an instance. The government, however, said Alvi did not have the right to take such a call. 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”