Zelensky to address sports ministers over IOC’s Russia plan

Volodymyr Zelensky in Paris on Wednesday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 February 2023
Follow

Zelensky to address sports ministers over IOC’s Russia plan

LONDON: Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky was expected Friday to denounce the potential participation of Russian athletes at next year’s Paris Olympics, during a virtual summit of sports ministers chaired from London.
Zelensky, who visited London on Wednesday, will make an opening address via video link, where he is set to repeat his opposition to the participation of the athletes in the wake of Russia’s invasion of his country, Britain’s Press Association reported.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is looking at ways to allow Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete as neutrals.
Ukraine has threatened to boycott the Games if that happens, with Zelensky calling the plans an attempt “to tell the whole world that terror is somehow acceptable.”
UK sports minister Lucy Frazer, who will chair Friday’s attempt to coordinate an international response, has urged the IOC to reconsider.
“President Zelensky told the UK in parliament this week of the suffering still being felt by many Ukrainians,” she said in a statement, according to the PA agency.
“As he did so the IOC was continuing to ignore the international allies stepping up their efforts for peace and disregard how the Olympics will give (Russian President Vladimir) Putin the perfect platform to promote Russia and legitimize his illegal war.
“We cannot allow Russian athletes to line up alongside Team GB and everyone else on the world stage,” Frazer added.
The Czech Republic, Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Poland and Sweden are among other countries opposed to the idea of Russian and Belarusian athletes competing under a neutral flag.


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”