Pakistan sets up relief fund for Turkiye-Syria earthquake as death toll crosses 11,000

Volunteers stand on rubble of a destroyed building in Kahramanmaras, southern Turkey, a day after a 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck the country's southeast, on February 7, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 08 February 2023
Follow

Pakistan sets up relief fund for Turkiye-Syria earthquake as death toll crosses 11,000

  • Pakistan’s finance minister says all cabinet members will donate a month’s salary to relief fund
  • Says Turkiye always stood by Pakistan’s side, its Pakistan’s turn to do the same for it as well

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s government announced on Wednesday it would set up a relief fund for victims of the devastating earthquake in Turkiye and Syria, urging people to “generously donate” as the combined death toll in the two countries crossed 11,000.

Rescue activities continue in Syria and Turkiye after the 7.8-magnitude earthquake jolted the two countries earlier this week. According to World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, time is running out for the thousands injured and those still feared trapped.

Reports emerging from the two countries say thousands have taken refuge from rains, snow, and aftershocks in mosques, schools, and bus shelters after losing their apartments and houses.




People rest in the historical Grand Mosque, where they found refuge, two days after a strong earthquake struck the region, in the southeastern Turkish city of Diyarbakir on February 8, 2023. (Photo courtesy: AFP)

Some estimates suggest that nearly 23 million people have been affected by the quake which will require significant relief and reconstruction activities in the coming days.

To help Turkiye speed up its reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts, Pakistan’s Finance Minister Ishaq Dar on Wednesday announced the premier’s move to establish a relief fund for the earthquake victims. He added that members of Pakistan’s federal cabinet have also decided to donate their one-month salaries to the fund.

“Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has established the Prime Minister’s Relief Fund for Turkiye Earthquake Victims,” Dar said during a presser on Wednesday. “Upon the proposal and suggestion of the premier, all members of the federal cabinet will donate one month’s salary to the relief fund,” he added.

He requested the nation to donate generously for the people of Turkiye and Syria suffering from the earthquake. Dar added that whenever Pakistan found itself in crisis, Turkiye always stood by the South Asian nation’s side and came to its help.

“When the devastating floods hit Pakistan last year, that incurred a loss of $30 billion according to estimates, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his wife visited Pakistan and donated wholeheartedly,” he said.

He said it was now time for Pakistanis to show the same generosity toward the people of Turkiye.

“The devastation in Turkiye and Syria is such that irrespective of how much we donate, it will still not be enough,” he said. “I, therefore, request you all to participate in this noble cause for the sake of [humanity] and to please God.”

The finance czar added that parliamentarians are also considering giving up a portion of their salaries and donating it to the fund. He added that tax relief would be provided to citizens if they decide to send the donations.

Earlier today, PM Sharif, who had announced that he would travel to Turkiye to express solidarity with its people and government, said that his trip had to be postponed due to theongoing relief activities in the country.

Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has already sent two planeloads of relief goods to Turkiye and Syria.




C-130 aircraft of Pakistan Air Force carrying 18634 pounds of humanitarian assistance relief goods from people of Pakistan reaches Turkiye on February 8, 2023. (Photo courtesy: Pakistan Airforce)

The goods were sent to the Syrian capital of Damascus by a specially chartered plane from Islamabad airport.

The NDMA said more relief materials would also be sent “for Syrian brothers and sisters affected by the earthquake.”

The Pakistan Air Force also said in a statement on Wednesday it had dispatched tents, blankets, and other essential items on two C-130s to Turkiye to help people.


Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

Updated 59 min 22 sec ago
Follow

Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

  • Multiple people were injured in the attack in Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province
  • It comes days after militants rammed explosive-laden vehicle into checkpost, killing 12 people

ISLAMABAD: Two security personnel, including an officer, were killed, while multiple others sustained injuries when a suicide blast targeted their vehicle in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, a police official said.

The suicide bomber hit his explosive-laden motorbike into an armored vehicle of security forces in Sara Darga area of KP’s Bannu district, according to a local police official who requested anonymity.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), have carried out similar assaults in the region in past.

“The attack had damaged the armored vehicle, causing deaths and injuries,” he told Arab News, adding that they suspected the Pakistani Taliban to be behind the attack.

Pakistan has struggled to contain a surge in militancy in KP, which borders Afghanistan, in recent years, with militant groups, particularly the TTP, frequently targeting security forces, law enforcers and government officials in the region.

Earlier this week, Pakistani Taliban militants rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a checkpost jointly manned by security forces and law enforcement agencies in KP’s Bajaur district, killing 11 security personnel among 12 people, the Pakistani military’s media wing said.

Islamabad accuses Afghanistan of allowing the use of its soil and India of backing militant groups for cross-border attacks against Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi deny this.