Ronaldo vs. Messi just the start for Saudis

Chairman of Saudi General Entertainment Authority Turki Alalshikh, left, escorts Qatari president of Paris Saint-Germain Nasser Al-Khelaifi on Thursday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 October 2023
Follow

Ronaldo vs. Messi just the start for Saudis

  • ‘This is a big match but ... this is nothing (compared to) what will happen with Vision 2030,’ says Alalshikh

RIYADH: A showdown between two of the world’s greatest footballers provided an entertaining spectacle in Riyadh but Saudi Arabia will not stop there.

Deafening fireworks closed Thursday’s exhibition between Lionel Messi’s Paris Saint-Germain and a composite team led by Saudi Pro League new arrival Cristiano Ronaldo, won 5-4 by the visitors.

The friendly had all the trimmings of a major fixture, complete with VAR, flame-throwers, tickertape and a medal presentation in front of more than 60,000 fans at the venerable King Fahd Stadium.

But the Kingdom is already promising more with a World Cup and Summer Olympics, perhaps even a Winter Olympics, already in its sights, together with a swathe of other major events.

“This is a big match but ... this is nothing (compared to) what will happen with Vision 2030,” said Turki Alalshikh, head of the General Entertainment Authority, referring to Saudi Arabia’s ambitious development plan.

Just five years after allowing its first non-Muslim tourists and letting women drive, Saudi Arabia is attempting to open up its conservative, long-cloistered society to the world.

The world’s biggest oil exporter has thrown hundreds of millions at sports deals including Ronaldo’s capture, F1 in Jeddah and the lucrative LIV Golf tour.

In coming years the Saudis, who watched as neighbors Qatar hosted the World Cup in November and December, will hold the men’s and women’s Asian Cup, the Olympic-sized Asian Games and even the Asian Winter Games on artificial snow.

FASTFACT

Just five years after allowing its first non-Muslim tourists and letting women drive, Saudi Arabia is attempting to open up its conservative, long-cloistered society to the world.

It is all part of grand plans by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to modernize the Saudi economy and remove its reliance on oil before the world moves on to other fuels.

“My leader will surprise Saudis with much more things,” Alalshikh told AFP, referring to the crown prince.

“We are ready to fulfill his demands at any time. But what’s coming is much greater.”

Saudi Arabia is discussing a joint bid for the 2030 World Cup with Egypt and Greece, while last year its sports minister told AFP that hosting the Olympics was the “ultimate goal.”

Its biggest coup so far was Ronaldo’s signing by Al-Nassr for more than €200 million, plus a separate 200 million deal to promote the World Cup bid, according to a source close to the club.

The shock transfer of the 37-year-old Portuguese has triggered speculation that Messi, who plays for Qatar-owned PSG but is a paid Saudi tourism ambassador, could join him in the Pro League.

“Ronaldo’s transfer is just the beginning,” said Danyel Reiche, a visiting associate professor at Georgetown University Qatar.

“Regardless of whether Messi will go to Saudi, we will see more superstars moving to Saudi Arabia.”

“In Saudi Arabia, it’s part of a wider approach of opening up society rather than distracting from human rights violations,” Reiche said.

“They recognize they can’t rely on military and political power, they have to have soft power,” he added, saying Thursday’s game sent a “very strong message.”

“This is something that is noticed in the entire world. By having such a game, it’s also like ‘look how we’re changing.’ “


T20 World Cup: England rout Sri Lanka for 95 to win Super Eights opener

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

T20 World Cup: England rout Sri Lanka for 95 to win Super Eights opener

  • England were asked to bat first, scored what looked like below-par 146-9
  • Archer, Will Jacks took five wickets to leave Sri Lanka top order in tatters

KANDY: England routed Sri Lanka for 95 to give captain Harry Brook a perfect birthday present as they opened the T20 World Cup Super Eights phase with a resounding 51-run win in Kandy on Sunday.

After England were asked to bat first and scored what looked like a below-par 146-9, Jofra Archer and Will Jacks took five wickets during the six-over power play to leave Sri Lanka’s top order in tatters at 34-5.

“That’s a beautiful birthday present,” said Brook, who turned 27 on Sunday.

“I thought we played exceptionally there. To get over the line and bowl them out for less than 100 is an awesome effort.

“I didn’t think there were really any demons on the pitch. I think the spinners on both sides used the pace really well, and that’s what brought a lot of wickets.”

It was England’s 12th win in a row against Sri Lanka and on a pitch that was sticky and slow after rain all week in Kandy.

The margin of victory gives them a healthy net run rate advantage in a Super Eights group that could be further affected by weather, after the New Zealand-Pakistan match was washed out on Saturday in Colombo.

“We’re buzzing with that,” said Jacks who was named player of the match for the third time in five matches in the tournament.

“At the halfway stage, we were pleased to get up to 146, but obviously we knew we were going to have to bowl well and work hard.”

The searing pace of Jofra Archer accounted for both openers, including the in-form Pathum Nissanka (9), who had scored a century and 62 in his last two knocks but failed to clear Jamie Overton at deep mid-wicket.

Archer finished with 2-20 and Jacks 3-22, the latter accounting for Kusal Mendis (4) and Pavan Rathnayake (0) in consecutive balls.

Dunith Wellalage staved off the hat-trick but lasted only 10 balls before also falling to Jacks, for 10.

LONE BATTLE

Dasun Shanaka fought a lone battle scoring 30 off 24 balls before falling to Adil Rashid.

The Sri Lanka captain took on the leg-spinner but Jacks took the catch and tossed the ball to Tom Banton before stepping over the boundary.

“It’s one bad game which is not affordable in a World Cup,” said Shanaka.

“But we need to bounce back in the next couple of games.”

Sri Lanka earlier restricted England to 146-9 with left-arm spinner Wellalage taking 3-26.

Phil Salt scored 62 at the top of the order but Sri Lanka, who are missing three of their frontline bowlers, contained the rest of the England batting line-up with regular wickets.

Wellalage was introduced during the power play and trapped the out-of-form Jos Buttler (7) and Brook (14), both lbw, as England limped to 68-4 at the halfway mark.

Salt was caught in the deep off Wellalage after facing 40 deliveries with six fours and two sixes.

Jacks, with 21, was the only other England batsman to score more than 20.

“Jacksie was pretty annoyed with the way he got out,” said Brook, who then explained why the new ball was tossed to the off-spinner.

“He said to me he always bowls better when he’s angry, and thankfully he got off to a cracking start.”

Left-arm seamer Dilshan Madushanka took 2-25 while Maheesh Theekshana took 2-21 with his offspin.