EU plans to impose fresh sanctions on Iran on Monday

1 / 2
Activists of the Exile-Iranian Society stage a demonstration in Berlin, calling on Germany and the EU to blacklist Tehran’s Revolutionary Guards or IRGC as a terrorist group. (AFP)
2 / 2
Further sanctions targeting the Revolutionary Guard are expected from Europe on Monday. (FILE/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 21 January 2023
Follow

EU plans to impose fresh sanctions on Iran on Monday

  • We will adopt the fourth package of sanctions against Iran on Monday and we believe we should already start working on the fifth one to list IRGC as a terrorist organization
  • 37 new names to be blacklisted for human rights violations at meeting of bloc’s

BRUSSELS: The EU will add 37 individual entries to its sanctions against Iran on Monday, two European diplomats told Reuters, as the bloc works on listing Tehran’s Revolutionary Guards or IRGC as a terrorist organization.

“We will adopt the fourth package of sanctions against Iran on Monday and we believe we should already start working on the fifth one to list IRGC as a terrorist organization,” said one of the sources, an EU diplomat.
The IRGC was set up shortly after the 1979 revolution to protect the clerical ruling system and provide a counterweight to the regular armed forces.
It has an estimated 125,000-strong military with army, navy and air units.
It also commands the Basij religious militia, a volunteer paramilitary force loyal to the clerical establishment which is often used to crack down on anti-government protests.
Relations between EU member states and Tehran have deteriorated as efforts to revive nuclear talks have stalled. Tehran has also detained several European nationals and the bloc has become increasingly critical of its continuing violent crackdown on protesters and the transfer of Iranian drones to Russia.
Both sources said 37 new names would be blacklisted for human rights violations when the bloc’s foreign ministers meet on Monday.
The sanctions would mean the IRGC members would not be allowed to travel to the EU and any assets they hold in Europe would be frozen.
The two diplomats added, however, that the IRGC would not be sanctioned as an organisation — yet.
“If you do this, it has to be legally sound and that is being discussed right now. But it won’t be ready for Monday,” one of them said.
The EU’s chief executive, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, this week backed the listing of the IRGC as a terrorist organization in response to what she said was the trampling of fundamental human rights in the Islamic republic.
Iran warned on Thursday that the EU would “shoot itself in the foot” if it designated the guards as a terrorist entity, a day after the European Parliament called on the EU and its member states to do so.
The sources said there was still some debate among the 27-bloc members, but that France, which had previously held reservations, was now backing the move.
One of the diplomats said Paris’ stance had particular toughened with seven of its citizens being detained in the country.
On Tuesday, the Foreign Ministry demanded the immediate release of Bernard Phelan, a Franco-Irish national, whose health has significantly deteriorated.

 


5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

Updated 58 min 33 sec ago
Follow

5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

TRIPOLI: At least five ‌bodies of migrants including two women have been washed ashore in َQasr Al-Akhyar, a coastal town in the east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, ​a police officer told Reuters on Saturday.
Hassan Al-Ghawil, head of investigations at the Qasr Al-Akhyar police station, said that according to people in the area, a child’s body washed ashore and because of the waves’ height the body returned to the sea, and the coast guard was asked to search for ‌it.
Ghawil said the ‌bodies are all dark-skinned people. ​The bodies ‌were ⁠found ​on Emhamid ⁠Al-Sharif shore in the western part of the town by people who reported to the police station.
Libya has become a transit route for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty to Europe across the Mediterranean since the fall in 2011 of dictator Muammar Qaddafi to a ⁠NATO-backed uprising. Factional conflict has split the ‌country into western and eastern ‌factions since 2014.
Qasr Al-Akhyar is a ​coastal town some 73 ‌kilometers (45 miles) east of Tripoli.
Pictures were posted on the ‌Internet, and also seen by Reuters, showing the bodies of the migrants lying on the shore, where some were still within black inflatable lifebuoys.
“We reported to the Red Crescent ‌to recover the bodies,” said Ghawil. “The bodies we found are still intact and we ⁠think there ⁠are more bodies to wash ashore.”
Earlier this month, fifty-three migrants, including two babies, were dead or missing after a rubber boat carrying 55 people capsized off the coast of Zuwara town in western Tripoli, the International Organization for Migration said.
Last week, a UN report said migrants in Libya, including young girls, are at risk of being killed, tortured, raped or put into domestic slavery, calling for a moratorium on ​the return of migrant boats ​to the country until human rights are ensured.