Japan, India start first joint fighter jet drill

This picture taken on January 10, 2023, shows a ceremony upon an arrival of Indian Air Force fighter aircrafts at the Japan's Air Self-Defense Force Hyakuri Air Base for the Japan-India joint exercise in Omitama, Ibaraki prefecture, northeast of Tokyo. (Photo courtesy: AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 January 2023
Follow

Japan, India start first joint fighter jet drill

  • The two countries agreed to conduct the drill in 2019, though it was delayed by the pandemic
  • Japan and India are part of ‘Quad’ that seeks to contain China’s military and economic influence

TOKYO: Japan and India began their first joint fighter jet exercise on Monday near Tokyo as the countries upgrade defense and security ties with an eye on China’s growing military might.

The 11-day joint exercise will involve eight Japanese fighter jets, with India sending four fighters, two transport aircraft and an aerial refueling tanker, Japan’s defense ministry said.

Around 150 Indian Air Force personnel are taking part in the exercise at the Hyakuri Air Base in Ibaraki prefecture, northeast of Tokyo.

The drill was agreed by the two countries during talks between Japanese and Indian defense and foreign ministers in 2019, but was delayed by the pandemic.

Japan and India – along with Australia and the United States – are part of the “Quad” alliance, a grouping of regional powers that is increasingly concerned about China’s military and economic influence.

Tokyo has held a string of joint military exercises in recent months, as well as overhauling its defense and security strategy and explicitly airing its concerns about China.

In December, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s government committed to doubling defense spending to two percent of GDP by 2027, and dubbed China the “greatest strategic challenge ever” to Japan’s security.

Last week, Japan inked a new defense deal with Britain and agreed to expand its mutual defense treaty with Washington to attacks in space.


Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed

JOHANNESBURG: A conservative media critic picked by President Donald Trump to be US ambassador to South Africa has arrived to take up his post, the US embassy said Tuesday, as relations between the countries remain fraught.
Brent Bozell’s arrival has been keenly awaited with ties between South Africa and the United States becoming increasingly strained after Trump returned to office in January 2025.
“I’m confirming that he’s in country,” a US embassy official told AFP. Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa to frayed relations
Trump announced that he had chosen Bozell for the job in March, soon after expelling South Africa’s ambassador on accusations that he was critical of Washington. Pretoria has yet to announce a successor.
Trump said at the time that Bozell “brings fearless tenacity, extraordinary experience, and vast knowledge to a nation that desperately needs it.”
The ambassador-designate still needs to present his credentials to President Cyril Ramaphosa before officially taking up his post.
The embassy and South Africa’s foreign ministry could not say when this would happen.
Bozell, 70, is founder of the Media Research Center, a non-profit that says it works to “expose and counter the leftist bias of the national news media.”
One of the several sticking points between Washington and Pretoria is South Africa’s genocide case against Israel at the International Court of Justice.
Bozell is reported to be a strong defender of Israel. Pretoria expelled Israel’s top diplomat last month, citing a “series of violations.”
The Trump administration boycotted South Africa’s G20 in Johannesburg last year and has not invited the nation to its own hosting of the group of leading economies this year.
The United States is South Africa’s second-biggest trading partner by country after China.
The previous ambassador, Reuben Brigety, resigned in November 2024, just before Trump took office.