Benzema looking forward after France disappointment

Real Madrid's Karim Benzema during the press conference on January 14, 2023. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 14 January 2023
Follow

Benzema looking forward after France disappointment

RIYADH: Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema says he has put his World Cup disappointment behind him and is focused on the future, starting with Sunday’s Spanish Super Cup final.

The 35-year-old forward dropped out of the France squad injured shortly before their first match, and retired from international duty in December.

Ballon d’Or winner Benzema had been excited to feature after missing France’s victory in 2018 because of his involvement in a blackmail scandal over a sex-tape involving his former teammate Mathieu Valbuena.

The forward returned from his thigh problem for Madrid at the end of December and has been finding his best form ahead of the final against rivals Barcelona.

“What happened is over now, the important thing is tomorrow’s game,” Benzema told a news conference on Saturday.

“I am feeling well in my head and my body, the rest is in the past. It was complicated but it’s over.”

Some accused Benzema of reserving himself for the World Cup as he missed several games for Madrid in the run up to the tournament in Qatar.

“I know what I’m doing and what Madrid means to me,” he added.

“I wanted to play in every match, but I was injured.”

The forward was asked if he would renew his Madrid contract, which expires at the end of the season, but he did not reveal his plans.

“I’m enjoying every match and training session with Real Madrid,” he said. “I go year by year.”


FIFA and Board of Peace to support Gaza reconstruction through football

Updated 58 min 35 sec ago
Follow

FIFA and Board of Peace to support Gaza reconstruction through football

  • The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms

FIFA and the ‌Board of Peace signed a partnership agreement on Thursday to attract investment from global leaders and ​institutions for sustainable development in conflict-affected regions through football.
The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms.
The disarmament of ‌Hamas militants ‌and accompanying withdrawal of ​Israeli ‌troops, ⁠the ​size of ⁠the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-torn population are expected to pose significant challenges to the board’s effectiveness in the coming months.
The FIFA collaboration plan includes building 50 mini-pitches ⁠near schools and residential areas ‌in Gaza, five ‌full-size pitches across multiple districts, ​a state-of-the-art FIFA ‌academy and a new 20,000-seat national ‌stadium, FIFA said.
Trump said FIFA will raise $75 million for football-related projects in Gaza.
“Today, FIFA and the Board of Peace have signed a landmark ‌partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose ⁠of ⁠helping the recovery process in post conflict areas,” FIFA President Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
“Together with the support of the Board of Peace, FIFA will drive this partnership which is built to deliver impact at every stage.”
The program will also emphasize job creation, youth participation, organized leagues for boys and girls, ​community engagement and ​the stimulation of local commercial activities, FIFA said.