LONDON: British tabloid The Sun on Friday said it regretted publishing a column by former Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson about Prince Harry’s wife Meghan after a huge backlash.
In the article for The Sun last week, Clarkson wrote that he “hated” Meghan and dreamed of the day “when she is made to parade naked through the streets of every town in Britain while the crowds chant, ‘Shame!’ and throw lumps of excrement at her.”
A record number of complaints against the column — more than 20,000 — was made to the UK Independent Press Standards Organization (Ipso) and many high-profile figures criticized the piece, including author Philip Pullman and London Mayor Sadiq Khan.
The article had been written in response to the couple’s recent Netflix docuseries “Harry & Meghan” but has since been removed from the newspaper’s website.
“We at The Sun regret the publication of this article and we are sincerely sorry,” The Sun said in a statement on its website.
It added the article would also be removed from its archives.
The Sun had already removed the article on Monday from its website at the request of Clarkson who said on Twitter he made “a clumsy reference to a scene in Game of Thrones and this has gone down badly with a great many people.”
He added: “I’m horrified to have caused so much hurt and I shall be more careful in future.”
In one of the most famous scenes in Game of Thrones, a female character makes a “walk of shame” where she is forced to walk down the streets naked as people throw rubbish at her.
“Columnists’ opinions are their own, but as a publisher, we realize that with free expression comes responsibility,” The Sun said.
In the Netflix documentary, Harry and Meghan accuse the voracious UK tabloid press of racism, of trying to “destroy” her and of contributing to her miscarriage through a targeted campaign fueled by palace briefings.
British tabloid The Sun ‘regrets’ publishing Meghan ‘hate’ article
https://arab.news/4nrty
British tabloid The Sun ‘regrets’ publishing Meghan ‘hate’ article
- In the article for The Sun last week, Clarkson wrote that he "hated" Meghan
- A record number of complaints against the column -- more than 20,000 -- was made to the UK Independent Press Standards Organisation
‘Tehran’ producer Dana Eden found dead in Athens hotel room
- Greek police say death being treated as suicide
DUBAI: Dana Eden, a producer of the Israeli thriller series “Tehran,” was found dead in her hotel room in Athens on Sunday, according to Israel’s public broadcaster Kan.
The 52-year-old was reportedly in Greece for the filming of the show’s fourth season, which stars Niv Sultan, Shaun Toub, and Hugh Laurie.
Greek police said that the cause of death had not been officially confirmed but that the case was being treated as a suicide based on available evidence and witness testimony, according to media reports.
Eden co-led the production company Donna and Shula Productions with showrunner Shula Spiegel.
In a statement issued Monday, the company said that “the rumors about criminal death or about a national background are not true and are not grounded,” and urged the media and public to “behave responsibly and sensibly” and “refrain from publishing unverified assumptions.
“It’s a moment of great pain for the family, friends and colleagues. We ask to preserve Dana’s dignity and the privacy of her dears,” the statement added.










