Brazil football star Pele to spend Christmas in hospital as cancer advances

Brazil’s Neymar carries a banner of former Brazil player Pele after their World Cup Round of 16 match against South Korea on December 5, 2022. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 26 December 2022
Follow

Brazil football star Pele to spend Christmas in hospital as cancer advances

  • The 82-year-old has been hospitalized in the Albert Einstein hospital since late November as doctors reevaluate his treatment
  • "Our Christmas at home has been suspended," his daughter Kely Nascimento said on Instagram

DUBAI: Brazilian football legend Pele’s cancer has advanced and he requires care related to renal and cardiac dysfunction, according to a medical report, and his family said he would remain in a Sao Paulo hospital over Christmas.

Widely considered one of the greatest footballers of all time, the 82-year-old has been hospitalized in the Albert Einstein hospital since late November as doctors reevaluate his treatment and tend to a respiratory infection.

Pele has received regular medical treatment since a tumor was removed from his colon in September last year.

“Our Christmas at home has been suspended,” his daughter Kely Nascimento said on Instagram, thanking people for their support.

“We decided with the doctors that, for various reasons, it would be better for us to stay here with all the care that this new family at Einstein gives us,” she said in the post.

Following Argentina’s win in Sunday’s World Cup final, Pele posted a picture on social media of their team lifting the trophy, and hailed performances from squad leader Lionel Messi, France’s rising star Kylian Mbappe, and surprise semifinalists Morocco.

“Today, football continues to tell its story, as always, in an enthralling way,” he said. “What a gift it was to watch this spectacle of the future of our sport.”

Brazilian players had during a quarter-final in Qatar unfurled a massive banner on the pitch with an image of the football great during his 1970 World Cup win. It simply read: “Pele!”


Ons Jabeur, Aryna Sabalenka join Berlin injury list

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Ons Jabeur, Aryna Sabalenka join Berlin injury list

  • Injured stars lose their delayed quarterfinals in the Wimbledon warm-up event
BERLIN: Aryna Sabalenka and Ons Jabeur joined the procession of injured stars limping off the Berlin grass as they retired Saturday while losing their delayed quarterfinals in the Wimbledon warm-up event.
Second-seeded Belarusian Sabalenka retired against unseeded Russian Anna Kalinskaya trailing 5-1 in the first set, in one of the quarterfinals pushed back to Saturday morning by rain on Friday.
Eighth-seeded Jabeur had gone toe-to-toe with top seed Coco Gauff before losing a one-hour 14 minute first set tiebreak 11/9 before packing her rackets in her bag and walking off.
“It doesn’t feel like a win,” said Gauff on court. “Especially as we had such a great first set.”
“It’s not the way you want to finish a match, especially with someone who is so nice on and off the court.”
Gauff said the Tunisian had indicated she was not seriously injured.
“I know she’s going to feel better tomorrow and should be fine for Wimbledon.”
Trailing 4-1, Sabalenka called a medical timeout to have her shoulder and neck treated. She played on for one game before stopping. It was the first time the Belarusian had retired injured in a WTA tournament, said the women’s tennis body.
“I played really good. I had a good start. I’m happy to be in the semifinals,” Kalinskaya said. “I’m happy to have three matches (here), fourth one on grass. That gives me confidence.”
On Thursday, reigning Wimbledon champion Marketa Vondrousova retired with a right hip injury from her second-round match, also against Kalinskaya.
On Friday, former Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina pulled out while trailing Victoria Azarenka in the quarter-finals.
Azarenka will play Kalinskaya in one semifinal later on Saturday.
Gauff will face compatriot Jessica Pegula who beat Czech Katerina Siniakova 7-6 (7/2), 3-6, 6-3 on Saturday. The fourth-seeded American had led 4-2 in the third set when rain halted play on Friday.
Gauff said her training regime prepared her to play twice in one day.
“I’ll be ready for later today,” said Gauff.

Laporte takes aim at critics after strong Spain Euros start

Updated 24 min 55 sec ago
Follow

Laporte takes aim at critics after strong Spain Euros start

  • “They said everything, there was a lot of speculation and not enough information to come out with so many opinions,” Laporte told a news conference
  • “There’s a lot of bad information out there that generates more headlines... I prepared myself (to play at the Euros)“

DONAUESCHINGEN, Germany: Spain defender Aymeric Laporte fired a shot at his critics on Saturday after his fine display against Italy at Euro 2024.
The 30-year-old center-back, now playing for Al-Nassr in Saudi Arabia, started as Spain defeated the reigning champions 1-0 on Thursday to qualify for the last 16 top from Group B.
Laporte missed the opening 3-0 win against Croatia with a muscular problem and some Spanish media speculated over whether he was at the right level to play for La Roja after a year in the Saudi league.
“They said everything, there was a lot of speculation and not enough information to come out with so many opinions,” Laporte told a news conference ahead of the third group match against Albania on Monday.
“There’s a lot of bad information out there that generates more headlines... I prepared myself (to play at the Euros).”
Laporte arrived in Germany after his team-mates, and coach Luis de la Fuente said although the former Manchester City player could have featured against Croatia, it was better not to take risks.
“I played 90 minutes against Italy and I feel good,” added Laporte.
“I spoke with the (Spain) coach before taking the decision to go to Saudi Arabia.
“For me the national team is very important, it’s one of the most important things in my career.
“I’m proud of representing Spain, each time I wear the shirt I feel very proud and like I identify.”
Laporte, born in the French Basque region, became a naturalized Spaniard in 2021.
The defender played alongside Robin Le Normand, another French-born player, against Italy.
“I speak (to him) a lot on the pitch, we have fluid communication,” said Laporte.
“On and off the pitch we’re constantly talking, we played well against Italy.”
In January Laporte said many new players in the Saudi league coming from Europe were not happy, but defended the competition on Friday.
“I think people are prejudiced about it,” he explained.
“It’s also true that it’s a young league, in terms of marketing it’s evolving bit by bit and maybe in the future it will be seen as a more competitive league.
“But I also have to say that the player of the match in both of France’s games was (Al-Ittihad player N’Golo) Kante, and that shows something.”


UAE jiu-jitsu national team passes weigh-in for Grand Prix Thailand Open 2024 

Updated 22 June 2024
Follow

UAE jiu-jitsu national team passes weigh-in for Grand Prix Thailand Open 2024 

  • 19 Emirati male and female fighters are among more than 300 athletes from 31 nations taking part in the tournament

ABU DHABI: The UAE jiu-jitsu national team completed the official weigh-in on Friday night for the Grand Prix Thailand Open 2024, which run until May 23 in Bangkok.

The Emirati fighters are aiming to build on their strong performance from May in Abu Dhabi, where they won the Jiu-Jitsu Asian Championship title for the fourth consecutive year.

This championship is crucial for the team, which consists of 19 male and female athletes as it provides an opportunity to test their skills before big events, particularly the Jiu-Jitsu World Championship in Greece this October and Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in Thailand in November. More than 300 athletes from 31 nations are participating in the Grand Prix Thailand Open 2024.

Mohamed Salem Al-Dhaheri, vice chairman of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation, expressed confidence in the athletes’ skills and their readiness to compete at the highest level.

“The successful weigh-in reflects the exceptional efforts during training camps and the athletes’ professionalism and commitment to following the technical staff’s directives. The team is all prepared to compete strongly against some of the best athletes in the world,” he said.

“The team aims to maintain their excellence in continental and international competitions and build on their successes in 2024, starting with the recent Jiu-Jitsu Asian Championship win.”

Al-Dhaheri highlighted the importance of grand prix tournaments in improving the team’s standing in the Jiu-Jitsu International Federation’s ranking. This ranking provides advantages in terms of the draw and brackets for the Jiu-Jitsu World Championship. 

Sultan Hassan, of the national team, competing in the 69 kg weight category, said: “We aim to represent the nation well and add another title to our country’s record of achievements. We have prepared intensively over the past weeks and are eager to continue performing well on the international stage.

“We worked hard with the technical staff and underwent an intensive training program, both physically and mentally. Our training included advanced techniques and various strategies, enhancing our preparation to compete at the highest level. We are confident that we can perform well and fly the UAE’s flag high.”

The men’s team delegation includes Rashid Al-Shehhi, Omar Al-Suwaidi and Mohammed Al-Ketbi who will compete in the 56 kg weight division; Mayed Al-Shehhi and Khaled Al-Baloushi in the 62 kg weight division; Muhammad Al-Suwaidi and Sultan Hassan in the 69 kg weight division; Mahdi Al-Awlaki and Sultan Al-Hosani in the 77 kg weight division; Saeed Al-Kubaisi in the 85 kg weight division; and Hazza Farhan in the 94 kg weight division.

In the women’s category, Balqees Alhashmi and Aysha Al-Shamsi will compete in the 45 kg weight division; Maitha Shraim in the 48 kg weight division; Asma Al-Hosani in the 52 kg weight class; Alanood Alhosani in the 57 kg weight class; Shamma Al-Kalbani and Bashayer Al-Matroushi in the 63 kg weight division; and Muhrah Mahfoudh in the 70 kg weight division.


DP World ILT20 franchises retain leading cricket stars for Season 3

Updated 22 June 2024
Follow

DP World ILT20 franchises retain leading cricket stars for Season 3

  • Franchises had option of retaining maximum of two UAE players, with no limit on retention of international players.
  • DP World ILT20 Season 3 to begin from Saturday, Jan. 11, 2025, with final to be played on Sunday, Feb. 9

DUBAI: The six DP World International League T20 franchises have retained a total of 69 players for the tournament’s third season, which will be played from Jan. 11 to Feb. 9, 2025 in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah.

The window for retaining players was opened on June 1 with the teams given two weeks to submit the list of the retained players.

Among the 69 players, 26 players were parts of various ICC men’s T20 World Cup 2024 squads.

The retained players include T20 heavyweights such as Andre Russell, David Willey, Sunil Narine (Abu Dhabi Knight Riders), Alex Hales, Azam Khan, Muhammad Amir, Sherfane Rutherford, Wanindu Hasaranga (Desert Vipers), Dasun Shanaka, David Warner, Rovman Powell, Sam Billings, Sikandar Raza (Dubai Capitals), Chris Jordan, James Vince, Shimron Hetmyer (Gulf Giants), Akeal Hosein, Dwayne Bravo, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Kieron Pollard, Nicholas Pooran, (MI Emirates), Johnson Charles and Tom Kohler-Cadmore (Sharjah Warriors).

Each of the six franchises have retained two UAE players each.

The UAE players retained for Season 3 include Aditya Shetty and Alishan Sharafu (Abu Dhabi Knight Riders), Ali Naseer and Tanish Suri (Desert Vipers), Haider Ali and Raja Akif (Dubai Capitals), Aayan Afzal Khan and Mohammad Zohaib Zubair (Gulf Giants), Muhammad Rohid Khan and Muhammad Waseem (MI Emirates), Junaid Siddique and Muhammad Jawadullah (Sharjah Warriors).

Following the completion of the players' retention window, the teams can now sign new players in the player acquisition window, which will stay open till Sept. 15.

Each franchise can sign a minimum two additional UAE players to complete their quota of four UAE signings after the completion of the ILT20 development tournament, which will be held in October.

 
Retained players for DP World ILT20 Season 3:

Abu Dhabi Knight Riders: Aditya Shetty, Ali Khan, Alishan Sharafu, Andre Russell, Andries Ghous, Charith Asalanka, David Willey, Joe Clarke, Laurie Evans, Michael Pepper and Sunil Narine.

Desert Vipers: Adam Hose, Alex Hales, Ali Naseer, Azam Khan, Bas de Leede, Luke Wood, Michael Jones, Muhammad Amir, Nathan Sowter, Sherfane Rutherford, Tanish Suri and Wanindu Hasaranga.

Dubai Capitals: Dasun Shanaka, David Warner, Dushmantha Chameera, Haider Ali, Raja Akif, Rovman Powell, Sam Billings, Sikandar Raza, Zahir Khan, Jake Fraser McGurk and Oliver Stone.

Gulf Giants: Aayan Afzal Khan, Blessing Muzarabani, Chris Jordan, Dipendra Singh Airee, Gerhard Erasmus, Jamie Overton, James Vince, Jamie Smith, Jordan Cox, Mohammad Zohaib Zubair, Rehan Ahmed, Richard Gleeson and Shimron Hetmyer.

MI Emirates: Akeal Hosein, Andre Fletcher, Daniel Mousley, Dwayne Bravo, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Jordan Thompson, Kieron Pollard, Kusal Perera, Muhammad Rohid Khan, Muhammad Waseem, Nicholas Pooran, Nosthush Kenjige, Vijayakanth Viyaskanth and Waqar Salamkheil.

Sharjah Warriors: Dilshan Madushanka, Johnson Charles, Junaid Siddique, Muhamad Jawadullah, Kusal Mendis, Luke Wells, Peter Hatzoglou and Tom Kohler-Cadmore.


Impa Kasanganay earns top seed after victory in PFL light heavyweight playoffs

Updated 22 June 2024
Follow

Impa Kasanganay earns top seed after victory in PFL light heavyweight playoffs

  • Kasanganay will face Josh Silveira in the 2024 PFL light heavyweight semifinals
  • The 2024 PFL Global Season action continues Friday, June 28 from Sioux Falls, South Dakota

SALT LAKE CITY: Impa Kasanganay emerged victorious on Friday night as the 2024 PFL Global Season resumed from the Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The 12-fight Professional Fighters League event card featured the lightweight and light heavyweight divisions.

The evening’s co-main event featured 2023 PFL light heavyweight champion Kasanganay squaring off with Jakob Nedoh. The two battled back and forth until Kasanganay landed a flurry of devastating punches leading to a doctor’s stoppage after the second round. Kasanganay continues his million-dollar journey with a berth in the 2024 PFL Global Season playoffs.

In the night’s other main event, Clay Collard and Mads Burnell went the three-round distance. Burnell took control of the action with a superior ground game, nullifying Collard’s striking advantage. Burnell earned a unanimous decision, playing the spoiler in Collard’s hometown return.

Former lightweight champion Patricky Pitbull faced Bruno Miranda in a lightweight global season bout with Miranda defeating Pitbull by split decision. Unfortunately for both fighters, Miranda and Pitbull were eliminated from the PFL playoffs due to points.

The 2022 PFL light heavyweight champion Rob Wilkinson met 2023 runner-up Josh Silveira in Global Season action. The two battled for three rounds, showcasing their technical acumen. In the end, it was Wilkinson taking the razor-thin, split-decision victory. Both competitors clinched 2024 PFL playoffs berths.

Turkmenistan’s Dovletdzhan Yagshimuradov squared off with Cameroon’s Simon Biyong in a light heavyweight PFL Global Season matchup. After three intense rounds, Yagshimuradov was judged as the superior fighter, winning by unanimous decision. As a result, Yagshimuradov clinched a spot in the 2024 PFL playoffs.

“The Professional Fighters League’s debut in Salt Lake City was an unforgettable event featuring the best athletes in MMA as they continued their million-dollar journey,” said PFL CEO Peter Murray. “The PFL season format makes every fight a must-win, giving us an unparalleled connection to the fans while providing unrivaled action with the highest stakes in the sport.”

“Salt Lake City saw eight athletes qualify for the 2024 PFL Global Season playoffs in a night of non-stop PFL action,” said Ray Sefo, president of fighter operations at PFL. “We look forward to next week’s 2024 PFL regular season finale in Sioux Falls.”

Antonio Carlos Jr. and Alex Polizzi met in Global Season light heavyweight action. Polizzi earned a hard-fought unanimous decision. The decision ended both fighters’ hopes of moving on to the 2024 PFL playoffs.

Brent Primus defeated Solomon Renfro by submission in the third round in a lightweight PFL Global Season matchup. Primus clinched a 2024 PFL playoff berth with the victory.

Sadibou Sy faced off against Andrew Sanchez in a light heavyweight Global Season bout. In an action-packed fight, both men traded strikes until Sy ended the affair in the third round by TKO.

In a lightweight Global Season matchup, it was win-or-go-home time for Gadzhi Rabadanov and Elvin Espinoza. The fight went the distance, with both fighters trading shots for three rounds. In the end it was Rabadanov who left the PFL smartcage victorious after a unanimous decision, earning a spot in the 2024 PFL playoffs.

In lightweight PFL Global Season action, Adam Piccolotti defeated Michael Dufort by split decision in a hard-fought matchup. The victory was not enough to put Piccolotti into the postseason, Dufort however, did eventually earn his first trip to the PFL playoffs.

In an exciting PFL Global Season lightweight alternate bout, Sergio Cossio defeated Anthony Romero by unanimous decision in his PFL debut. The win extends former lightweight champion Cossio’s winning streak to nine.

The first fight of the night, a featherweight showcase bout between undefeated fighters Brahyan Zurcher and Julian Ruiz, resulted in a second-round KO by Zurcher. Zurcher improves to 9-0 as a pro with seven stoppage wins.

The 2024 PFL Global Season continues on Friday, June 28 from Sioux Falls, South Dakota with featherweight and welterweight action.