Iran’s Fars news hit by cyberattack

Iran has been targeted by several anonymous hacker groups in recent years. (LinkedIn/File)
Short Url
Updated 26 November 2022
Follow

Iran’s Fars news hit by cyberattack

  • Hacker group appears to have obtained staff personal information and government data

LONDON: Iran’s state media outlet Fars was hit by a cyberattack, the agency reported on Saturday.

The incident seems to be part of a larger operation aimed at discrediting the outlet, which is managed by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, and exposing sensitive government information.

Fars said that its website had been disrupted late on Friday by a “complex hacking and cyberattack operation.”

“Removing possible bugs may cause problems for some agency services for a few days,” it said in a statement posted on its Telegram channel.

“Cyberattacks against Fars news agency are carried out almost daily from different countries, including the occupied territories (Israel),” it added.

Fars has been heavily criticized for what critics say is its distorted reporting of recent protests that have swept Iran since the death of Mahsa Amini in mid-September.

The 22-year-old was arrested for an alleged breach of the country’s dress code for women and died while in the custody of the country’s morality police.

Hackers appear to have targeted the Twitter account of one of Fars’ managers and published a video on his profile.

The hacker group Black Reward on Friday claimed to have breached the agency’s database, and said it had obtained confidential bulletins and directives sent by the news agency to the office of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

Iran has been targeted by several anonymous hacker groups in recent years.

In October, Black Reward published documents from Iran’s nuclear program after the government ignored hackers’ demands to release all political prisoners and protesters arrested during recent demonstrations.

In past weeks, the group has also hacked the emails of state-affiliated press and TV managers and employees, obtaining personal information.


New initiative to train 900 Saudis in media sector

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

New initiative to train 900 Saudis in media sector

  • The agreement caters for specialized media career days, English language programs tailored for the media and communications sector, and professional certification across various media fields

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Human Resources Development Fund has announced a strategic partnership with the SPA (Saudi Press Agency) Academy for News Training to train 900 job seekers for technical and specialized media careers.

The agreement caters for specialized media career days, English language programs tailored for the media and communications sector, and professional certification across various media fields.

These initiatives aim to enhance professional skills and improve the quality of media performance, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Tuesday.

Each program will run for 12 months, equipping participants with the technical and creative skills to meet the demands of the evolving media sector.

The initiative is expected to boost employment opportunities, support private sector growth by providing qualified personnel, and promote digital and media innovation.