Jordan, UAE to boost collaboration in renewable energy

Jordanian Minister of Energy and UAE Minister of Industry and Advanced Technology signed a MoU. (Petra)
Short Url
Updated 16 November 2022
Follow

Jordan, UAE to boost collaboration in renewable energy

  • MoU supports Jordanian efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 31 percent

AMMAN: Jordanian Minister of Energy Saleh Kharabsheh and UAE Minister of Industry and Advanced Technology Sultan Al-Jaber signed a memorandum of understanding on Wednesday to collaborate in renewable energy.

The agreement was signed on the sidelines of COP27 held in Sharm El-Sheikh, Jordan News Agency reported.

It outlines research cooperation for investment opportunities in wind energy projects, an exchange of experiences and technology in green energy, the launch of qualification and training programs for Jordanian experts and engineers, and the establishment of green energy scholarships between Jordanian and UAE universities.

Kharabsheh said that Jordan’s partnership with the UAE and Masdar, the UAE’s government-owned renewable energy company, supports its efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 31 percent. 

Al-Jaber stated that the agreement highlights Jordanian-Emirati ties and that Masdar is making every effort to assist neighboring countries in their energy transition journeys. 

Masdar CEO Mohammed Al-Ramahi stated that the company has been a significant partner of Jordan for nearly 10 years and expressed hope that this agreement will deepen Jordan’s cooperation in renewable energy. 

Jordan’s energy generated from total installed renewable energy capacity topped 5.5 terawatts/hour by the end of 2021, placing Jordan first in the region on the installed capacity of renewable energy sources rate, excluding hydropower. 

Furthermore, by July 2022, approximately 29 percent of electricity generated was from renewable energy sources, and total installed capacity of renewable energy generation projects reached approximately 2,526 megawatts. 

Kharabsheh emphasized the ministry’s commitment to increasing the rate to 50 percent by 2030 and making Jordan a regional hub for green energy by “leveraging the abundant sustainable sources and the central location of Jordan in the Middle East and North Africa.”

 


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 57 min 38 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.