Sharif government announces grants for families of those killed during opposition protest march

A police officer stands guard in front of container truck used by the former Pakistani prime minister Imran Khan during his political rallies, hours after a gun attack in Wazirabad, Pakistan, on November 3, 2022. (FP)
Short Url
Updated 11 November 2022
Follow

Sharif government announces grants for families of those killed during opposition protest march

  • Ex-PM Khan on Thursday resumed his march on capital, a week after he was injured in a gun attack
  • So far four people, including a woman reporter, have been killed during the anti-government march

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani government has announced Rs5 million ($23,000) financial compensation for families of each of the four people killed during Imran Khan’s anti-government march on Islamabad, a government notification said Thursday, as the supporters of the former prime minister once again started moving toward the capital. 

Khan, who was ousted in a parliamentary no-trust vote in April, has been leading the march on Islamabad from Lahore since October 28, hoping to force the government into announcing early elections. 

Khan resumed his march on Thursday a week after he was injured in a gun attack on his container truck in Wazirabad city. The attack killed one person and injured another nine people. 

Three others, including a woman reporter working with a private news channel, previously died during the anti-government protest on different occasions. 

“The prime minister, while expressing his grief over the tragic deaths during the recent long march of a political party, has been pleased to announce financial assistance of Rupees five (05) million each in favor of legal heirs of the following deceased persons,” a notification issued from PM Shehbaz Sharif’s office said. 

The deceased persons included Moazzam Gondal, Sadaf Naeem, Samir Nawaz and Hassan Baloch. 

“The prime minister has further been pleased to direct that the cheque(s) of financial assistance shall be handed over to the families of the deceased persons immediately after completing the procedural requirements,” the notification read. 

Khan, who has been holding protest rallies against the government, says his ouster was part of a United States-backed “foreign conspiracy” for pursuing an independent foreign policy for Pakistan. 

Washington and Khan’s opponents deny the claim. 

Also on Thursday, PM Sharif’s government issued a summary of expenses it had been bearing to provide security to Khan. 

It said it was spending Rs21.9 million ($101,126) monthly and Rs263 million ($1.2 million) annually to ensure security of the former premier. 

Khan has not been physically leading the march since being injured. His supporters are expected to reach Rawalpindi within the next two weeks, from where he will lead them to Islamabad.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”