Frankly Speaking: Iranian opposition group NCRI urges Biden, EU to ‘stand with Iranian people, support their demands for change’

Short Url
Updated 17 October 2022
Follow

Frankly Speaking: Iranian opposition group NCRI urges Biden, EU to ‘stand with Iranian people, support their demands for change’

  • Dowlat Nowrouzi, NCRI’s UK representative, accuses the Tehran regime of stealing national revenue. spending it on exporting terror and destruction
  • She says European nations can side with the people by taking such steps as recalling their ambassadors and shutting down Iran’s embassies

DUBAI: As an unprecedented wave of civil unrest sweeps Iran, it is crucial that the world community, particularly Europe and the US, lends its support to the Iranian people and imposes greater sanctions on the regime in Tehran, according to the UK representative of an Iranian political opposition group.

“No matter what the mistakes, strategic mistakes, made by the United States, it is now time for the administration (of American President Joe Biden) to correct them and change its policy.

“It should stand with the Iranian people and support the demands of Iranian people for change,” Dowlat Nowrouzi, UK representative of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, told Katie Jensen, host of “Frankly Speaking,” the Arab News talk show which engages with leading policymakers and business leaders.




Dowlat Nowrouzi, shown on screen, being interviewed by Katie Jensen on Frankly Speaking. (AN photo)

The NCRI, founded in 1981, is a political coalition made up of various groups that aim to overthrow the Iranian regime. Most of its members have been forced into exile due to political persecution and operate out of Europe and other Western countries.

Nowrouzi’s plea for support for the Iranian people comes as the Islamic Republic continues to be rattled by protests triggered by the death of 22-year-old Kurdish woman Mahsa Amini in the morality police’s custody on Sept. 16.

Amini was detained for allegedly improperly wearing her headscarf, which is mandatory in Iran, and was pronounced dead at Tehran’s Kasra hospital two days later. While the authorities claimed she died of pre-existing medical conditions, her family, fellow detainees, and leaked medical records indicated that she was severely beaten.

What started as isolated protests during her funeral in her native Kurdistan province spread rapidly across Iran, snowballing into a nationwide uprising which has the potential to topple the Iranian regime.

 

 

According to Nowrouzi, more than 400 protesters have been killed by Iranian security forces, and the 20,000 people, including children, who have been arrested by the regime face horrific conditions amounting to torture and extrajudicial execution in prisons and detention centers.

Amid the state-orchestrated campaign of intimidation, Nowrouzi claimed that protesters remained resolute and committed to their goals.

She said: “Just a few days ago, we received information that 2,000 of them, especially youngsters and university students, were taken to a very notorious detention center called B Gate No. 6. In that detention center, they do all sorts of deadly torture against political prisoners as well as protesters.

“So, despite all that, they know what they are (engaged in) and they know that they’re going to have to sacrifice all that it takes in order to win back their country.

 

“I can assure you what is happening now is not going to stop. Iranians are on their way for a new democratic revolution in their country soon.”

Nowrouzi pointed out that although there had been other instances of nationwide civil unrest, most notably the protests of November 2019 and January 2020, which saw Iranian security forces kill thousands of protesters and arrest tens of thousands, “this one is absolutely different.”

She added: “It is a nationwide uprising movement. It has been able, it is mobilized. Some 178 major cities are engulfed in the protests and uprising. And I have to say, it covers almost all the 31 provinces throughout Iran. And this time you are seeing different sectors of Iranian society involved (in the uprising).”

 

 

Nowrouzi noted that the policy of appeasement that the US and other Western nations had adopted toward Iran had to change in order to ensure the success of the ongoing peaceful resistance.

“Unfortunately, this policy of appeasement has affected the ruling government. They have to realize it is now time for a very sharp change. As far as the US Congress is concerned, I can tell you it’s a different case because, particularly in the recent resolution 118, 260 members of Congress strongly supported Iranian people’s protests,” she said.

 

 

Resolution 118, which was introduced in Congress in February 2021, condemns what it calls Iran’s state-sponsored assassinations and terror attacks against US officials and Iranian dissidents, and expresses support for popular protests against the regime in Tehran.

Though such measures are certainly a step in the right direction, Nowrouzi added: “As far as the government is concerned, they have to do much more, (including meeting) some of the demands of the Iranian community and the opposition.”

She noted that depriving the Iranian regime of financial sources was crucial.

“They’re exporters of terrorism (and) they’re acquiring nuclear weapons, all of it by stealing the money and the national revenue of the Iranian people’s oil and gas, which are being spent by the mullahs on destruction rather than construction,” she said.

 

 

Protests and worker-led strikes have shut down major petrochemical facilities in Iran’s oil- and gas-rich southern provinces, which Nowrouzi sees as a significant development.

“It plays a very important role because it can (shut down) the mullahs’ economic (lifeline), particularly as far as money and trade is concerned,” she added.




This image grab from a UGC video made available on Oct.15, 2022, shows Iranian students protesting at Tehran University over the death of Mahsa Amini. (AFP)

Such actions, she said, took away the regime’s ability to finance their brutal acts against protesters. She noted that the mullahs acknowledged that 80 percent of the population lived below the poverty line, even though the country was enormously wealthy in terms of reserves of oil and gas.

Western countries, particularly the EU, could also play a critical role in shutting down the regime’s ability to crush any form of resistance, Nowrouzi said.

 

 

“I think they can play a very important role in order to actually side with the Iranian people and their major demands for freedom and democracy.

“In order to do that, in our view, Europeans have to do a lot more than just issue verbal condemnations of the atrocities of the mullahs, both in terms of the executions as well as the arbitrary arrests that they have been involved (in) during the past several weeks in this recent protest. We think they can, and they should, (recall) their ambassadors,” she added, referring to EU members.

 

 

“They have to close down the Iranian embassy in their countries, because as far as we know, in reality, they are used by the mullahs for all sorts of espionage, as well as for exporting terrorism and providing logistics, money, financial aid, and even military weapons, to their terrorist networks in Europe.”

Nowrouzi highlighted a terror plot in which Asadollah Asadi, the third diplomat of the Iranian embassy in Austria, brought a highly sophisticated bomb in his own personal suitcase through several European countries in order to target a rally held by the National Council of Resistance of Iran, in Paris.




Demonstrators rally in Paris on Oct. 9, 2022, in support of Iranian protests against he death of Iranian woman Mahsa Amini in Iran. (AFP)

“Thousands of government officials from over 70 countries were in attendance, and luckily, the plot was foiled, and Asadi and his co-conspirators arrested.”

Since the 1979 Islamic Revolution in Iran, the country has carried out more than 50 attacks, assassinations, and bombings on four different continents, killing hundreds of foreign officials, Iranian diplomats, and ordinary civilians. Intervention and concrete measures on the part of the US and EU, Nowrouzi said, could help to put an end to the state-sponsored terrorism. 

 

 

“We are asking them to impose all sorts of comprehensive sanctions against the mullahs, especially the officials and the (Islamic) Revolutionary Guard Corps that are very much responsible for the executions and torture of our youngsters and women.

“We are also asking them to recognize the legitimate right of Iranian people to defend themselves and actually to continue their support, and to stay on the side of millions of Iranians demanding change and hope,” she added.

Nowrouzi pointed out the determination and resolve of the Iranian people to bring about change in their country.

“What I can assure you is that the Iranian people will continue to (protest) because they know what happened to Mahsa. It was not only Mahsa; the same thing could have happened to anybody else’s sister, wife, mother, or any other close brother.

 

 

“They know that the regime has been involved in all sorts of crimes against Iranian people. So, I can tell you that the vast majority of Iranian people are determined, and this determination will persist until we see the downfall of the regime,” she said.

She added that the protests had shown the world community that “the Iranian people, particularly women, who are the prime victim of this misogynist, brutal regime, are very much determined to bring about the change.

“They are fed up. They want democracy, a democratic republic with separation of religion from the state. And so, there is no way that any longer they would tolerate the inhumanity, barbarism, depression, and aggression of the mullahs.”

 


UN Security Council urged to put pressure on UAE to stop arming Sudanese paramilitary

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

UN Security Council urged to put pressure on UAE to stop arming Sudanese paramilitary

  • Activist accuses Rapid Support Forces and its allies of widespread conflict-related sexual violence during war, calls for action against faction’s powerful international backers
  • Plea comes amid growing warnings of genocide in Sudan, ‘unchecked external interference’ that is allowing atrocities to continue, and the risk of further regional destabilization

NEW YORK CITY: The UN Security Council faced calls on Thursday to put pressure on the UAE to stop arming the Rapid Support Forces, one of the warring military factions in Sudan, amid warnings that atrocities bearing “the hallmarks of genocide” were spreading and the situation in the country risks causing further regional destabilization.

Sudanese activist Hala Alkarib said that “unchecked external interference” was allowing atrocities to continue. She cited the documentation by a UN panel of experts and international nongovernmental organizations of weapons and military equipment being shipped into Darfur, “including by the United Arab Emirates, in violation of this Council’s arms embargo.”

She told council members: “You can stop the violence by pressuring the RSF’s powerful backers with economic, political and criminal consequences.”

The council also heard warnings from Alkarib and senior UN officials that after more than 1,000 days of war, civilians face renewed risks of mass atrocities in Darfur and Kordofan.

Earlier on Thursday, the International Independent Fact-Finding Mission for Sudan issued a report that described atrocities committed by the RSF in and around El-Fasher in late October last year as “indicators of a genocidal path.”

Alkarib, regional director of the Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa, told the Security Council that she had lost family members and her home in the conflict between the RSF and the Sudanese Armed Forces, which began in April 2023.

“To be here a third time, only to report that the situation is even worse, is an indictment not just of the warring parties but of this council’s inability to stop the bloodshed,” she said.

“Over 1,000 days since the start of the war, despite repeated warnings, this council has failed to act. Every red line — siege, forced displacement, man-made famine, genocide, mass rape — has been crossed.”

She warned that the kinds of atrocities seen in El-Geneina and El-Fasher now risk being repeated in Greater Kordofan and Blue Nile, where drone attacks by all sides are killing civilians and destroying hospitals, schools and markets.

“Unless you act now, you will have more blood on your hands,” Alkarib said.

Her organization has documented more than 1,294 cases of conflict-related sexual violence against women and girls since the war began, she said, “perpetrated primarily by the RSF and their allies.”

She accused RSF forces in Darfur of deliberately targeting women and girls from the Fur, Masalit, Berti, Zaghawa and Tunjur communities on the basis of ethnicity.

“As the UN Fact-Finding Mission confirmed in a report today, this is part of a strategy of genocide aimed at eradicating native African communities,” Alkarib said.

Sexual violence, arbitrary detention and enforced disappearances in RSF-controlled areas remain severely underdocumented due to access restrictions, communications blackouts and retaliation, she added.

Thousands of women and children have been detained in villages including Garny, Tura and Tabit in North Darfur, she said, and hospitals and schools have been turned into detention centers. Forced marriages, including child marriages, to RSF soldiers are frequently linked to abductions and enforced disappearances.

Alkarib called for an immediate end to hostilities, the release of civilians held by the warring parties, “particularly women held by the RSF in conditions amounting to sexual slavery,” and the deployment of a mission with a clear mandate to protect civilians across Sudan in collaboration with the African Union.

She also urged the Security Council to expand the arms embargo to the whole of Sudan; impose targeted sanctions on violators; demand safe and sustained humanitarian access; condemn attacks on aid convoys, including a recent strike on a World Food Programme convoy in North Kordofan; support Sudanese women-led organizations; and back efforts to ensure accountability, including the work of the International Criminal Court.

“None of this will stop without immediate action from you, the international community,” Alkarib added.

The UN’s political affairs chief, Rosemary DiCarlo, said: “Sudan reached a horrific milestone: 1,000 days of a brutal war that has nearly destroyed the third-largest country in Africa. 1,000 days of total impunity for the perpetrators of a long list of atrocities and war crimes.”

She warned that “the risk of regionalization of the conflict is a matter of urgent concern,” citing in particular the movement of armed groups across the border between Sudan and South Sudan “in both directions,” and reports that weapons continue to transit through neighboring states.

“The horrific events in El-Fasher in October 2025 were preventable,” DiCarlo said. During the time the city was under siege, more than a year, the UN’s Human Rights Office “repeatedly sounded the alarm about the risk of mass atrocities. But the warnings were not heeded.”

The UN high commissioner for human rights, Volker Turk, had also alerted the international community to the possibility of similar crimes in Kordofan, where civilians are once again at risk of “summary executions, sexual violence, arbitrary detention and family separation,” she added.

“During the final offensive of the RSF on El-Fasher, reports indicate that sexual violence against women and girls was widespread,” DiCarlo said. “The time to act to prevent a repeat of atrocities elsewhere in the country is now.”

She welcomed progress in an initiative to secure a humanitarian truce, led by Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and the US.

“These efforts offer a critical opportunity for immediate and much-needed deescalation and could pave the way for a sustainable cessation of hostilities,” she said. “We call on both parties to the conflict to engage with this initiative in good faith and without preconditions.”

But she stressed that unity among Sudan’s partners was essential.

“This entails ensuring that the flow of weapons to the warring parties is cut off,” DiCarlo said. “The war has gone on this long and been this deadly in large part because of the support the parties have received from abroad.”

Speaking on behalf of UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher, Edem Wosornu, the director of the crisis response division at the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, said violence continues to spread “relentlessly.”

“Nearly three years have passed since this war began — humanitarian needs have deepened and countless civilian lives have been shattered,” she added.

Since the start of this year, she said, conditions in much of Kordofan and Darfur have deteriorated and drone attacks across the three states in Kordofan have escalated, resulting in civilian casualties and displacement. More than 1 million people are now displaced in the region.

In North Kordofan, fighting around the state capital, El-Obeid, was restricting the delivery of humanitarian and commercial supplies, Wosornu said. In South Kordofan, there has been intensified fighting and aerial attacks in and around Kadugli and Dilling, where an assessment by the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification indicates famine conditions may be prevalent.

Despite recent announcements that sieges had been broken and convoys could move between El-Obeid to Kadugli and Dilling, “humanitarian access along these key supply lines remains unpredictable,” Wosornu added.

In December, rates of acute malnutrition in Um Baru and Kernoi in North Darfur exceeded the threshold for famine, she said, and more than 1,000 newly displaced people recently arrived in Tawila, joining 600,000 who were already living there “in dire conditions.”

She continued: “For over 12 million women and girls, this is a crisis within a crisis. Violence against women and girls in Sudan has reached catastrophic levels. Sexual violence against women and girls has reached horrific levels. Documented cases have nearly tripled – yet this is but a fraction of the real scale.”

Wosornu also warned that 4.2 million children and pregnant and breastfeeding women face acute malnutrition.

She urged the council to work together “in pursuit of an immediate stop to the fighting, to stem the flow of weapons into Sudan, and to press for the lasting, inclusive peace that is so desperately needed.”

The UK is chairing the Security Council this month, with British Foreign Minister Yvette Cooper serving as president of the council for February.