Flyweight prospect Muhammad Mokaev joins strong line-up at UFC 280 in Abu Dhabi

Mokaev was also unbeaten as an amateur with a 22-0 record, and will be looking to cement his billing as one-to-watch in the 125 lbs division. (@muhammadmokaev)
Short Url
Updated 23 September 2022
Follow

Flyweight prospect Muhammad Mokaev joins strong line-up at UFC 280 in Abu Dhabi

  • Event will take place at Etihad Arena on Oct. 22

ABU DHABi: Flyweight prospect Muhammad Mokaev has been officially added to the UFC 280: Oliveira vs Makhachev card in Abu Dhabi, where he will take on Canada’s Malcolm Gordon on Oct. 22.
The 22-year-old Mokaev has been making headlines in the mixed martial arts world and boasts a perfect 8-0 record, including two wins in the Ultimate Fighting Championship since making his debut with the organisation in March.

The Muslim fighter was born in Dagestan, but arrived in the UK aged 12 as a refugee unable to speak any English. In the years since, he has become one of Britain’s top MMA prospects and received phenomenal home-crowd support fighting twice in London earlier this year.

Mokaev was also unbeaten as an amateur with a 22-0 record, and will be looking to cement his billing as one-to-watch in the 125 lbs division.

His opponent, Malcolm Gordon (14-5) will be stepping into the octagon for the fifth time, and brings with him a two-fight win streak. He made his UFC debut in Abu Dhabi in 2020.

UFC 280 will be the latest event held in the UAE capital as part of the partnership between the UFC, and the Department of Culture and Tourism - Abu Dhabi which began in 2019.  

Oct. 17-23 will also see the return of Abu Dhabi Showdown Week, anchored by UFC 280 and consisting of other sports and entertainment ancillary events, powered by Flash Entertainment.


Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

  • Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
  • “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou

LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”