Iranian journalist Hadi Pourbeheshti seized in raid on family home

Pourbeheshti is a political opinion writer who contributes to several local publications in Kerman. (Shutterstock)
Short Url
Updated 03 September 2022
Follow

Iranian journalist Hadi Pourbeheshti seized in raid on family home

  • Political opinion writer held without charge for a week after criticizing local government officials, sources say

LONDON: Iranian journalist Hadi Pourbeheshti has been detained by state authorities since his arrest during a raid on his home in Iran’s southeastern Kerman province on Aug. 28, the Committee to Protect Journalists reported.

The property in the city of Kerman was ransacked by Iranian police, who arrested Pourbeheshti and rifled through his belongings while his family looked on, an Iranian rights group claimed.

Pourbeheshti’s arrest was confirmed by Human Rights in Iran, an exiled-based rights group, as well as by Iranian journalist Hassan Abbasi via Twitter, and a source familiar with the case, who spoke to the CPJ on condition of anonymity due to fears of state violence. 

The CPJ said that during the journalist’s arrest, “security forces ransacked the entire house, confiscating all electronic devices, including his cellphone and his wife’s cellphone.”

Pourbeheshti is a political opinion writer who contributes to several local publications in Kerman.

On Friday, the CPJ said that he was still detained without charge at an undisclosed location, adding that he has not been allowed to contact his family, a common punishment for journalists in Iran.

Authorities told Pourbeheshti’s family that he is facing “security and anti-state charges, including espionage,” according to the anonymous source.

The source added that police scared bystanders away during the raid, creating an atmosphere of fear and stopping people from capturing the incident on their mobile phones or reporting the arrest to local media.

“Iranian authorities must learn that arresting journalists without charge is not the answer to hiding the country’s problems,” said Carlos Martinez de la Serna, CPJ’s program director, in New York.

“The authorities must free journalist Hadi Pourbeheshti immediately, and unconditionally and cease the practice of arbitrarily locking up members of the press.” 

Pourbeheshti’s recent work has criticized government officials in Kerman, questioning the large number of embezzlement cases involving government departments in the city. 

Kerman province has strong ties to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

Several IRGC commanders are reported to have been given positions within local government, with Pourbeheshti’s journalism possibly being viewed as criticism of the corps, according to the CPJ.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.