Saudi Arabia, UN, China, US extend assistance as Pakistan reels from rain floods

Villagers search for their belongings after their huts were destroyed in flood waters in Jaffarabad district of Balochistan province on August 22, 2022. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 25 September 2022
Follow

Saudi Arabia, UN, China, US extend assistance as Pakistan reels from rain floods

  • Pakistan struggling to cope with aftermath of torrential rains that have triggered massive floods, killing over 900 people
  • Provinces worst-hit by rains are Balochistan province and Sindh, where 230 and 293 people have died respectively

ISLAMABAD: The international community has stepped up flood relief assistance to Pakistan as it struggles to cope with the aftermath of torrential rains that have triggered massive floods, killing more than 900 people, according to government data.

July’s national rainfall was almost 200 percent above average, Sardar Sarfaraz, a senior official at the metrological office told media on Wednesday, making it the wettest July since 1961. According to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), 326 children and 191 women are among the 903 people killed since the onset of the monsoon season in mid-June.

Much of the devastation has taken place in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province and Sindh, where 230 and 293 people have died respectively.

Climate minister Sherry Rehman on Wednesday urged the international partner to mobilize assistance to help Pakistan cope with rains and flash floods.

The UN team in Pakistan said it was boosting support to Pakistani authorities in the most flood-affected provinces of Balochistan and Sindh.

“To date, the UN team has mobilized $7 million to respond to the floods and has provided 1,100 metric tons of food rations, therapeutic feed and nutritional supplements,” a spokeswoman for the UN said at a briefing on Wednesday. “It also provided medicine, water purification tablets, tents, mosquito nets, blankets, soaps, hygiene and dignity kits, new-born baby kits, tarpaulins and other goods.”

Following a rapid assessment, a response plan was being finalized, the spokeswoman said, to coordinate the joint response and call for further resources, including from the Central Emergency Response Fund.

Earlier this week, Saudi Arabia’s KSRelief sent 100 emergency relief trucks, carrying 950 tons of food items to 17 flood-ravaged districts of Pakistan. The consignment, the third from the aid agency since the monsoons began, included 10,000 food packages.

“More than 70,000 people will benefit from this emergency relief,” Saudi Ambassador Nawaf bin Said Al-Malki said at a ceremony in Islamabad, early this before the goods were dispatched.

China has also said it will dispatch emergency humanitarian supplies.

“China has noted the severe floods raging across Pakistan and the heavy casualties and loss of property ensued. We express sincere condolences to the victims, and our hearts go out to the bereaved families, the injured and those in the stricken areas,” a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said.

The European Union has granted €350,000 (Rs76 million) to provide crucial humanitarian assistance to families affected by severe flooding, it said on Monday, saying it would address the urgent needs of those most affected in some of the hardest-hit districts of Jhal Magsi and Lasbella in Balochistan.

“The devastating floods have left a trail of destruction in Pakistan, causing many to suffer the loss of their homes, livelihoods, and belongings,” said Taheeni Thammannagoda, who oversees the EU’s humanitarian programs in Pakistan. “The EU funding will help get vital assistance to the most vulnerable people to support them during this hard time.”

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken also last week announced the US was providing $100,000 to Pakistan.


Rain delays Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash in Colombo

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Rain delays Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash in Colombo

  • Pakistan won the toss and opted to bat before showers halted play
  • Fakhar Zaman returns as both teams seek early advantage in Group 2

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Super Eights clash against New Zealand at the Twenty20 World Cup was delayed by rain in Colombo on Saturday after captain Salman Ali Agha won the toss and elected to bat first.

The Group 2 encounter at the R. Premadasa Stadium marks the start of the tournament’s second phase for both sides, with Sri Lanka and England also in the group. The match was scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. Pakistan time, but persistent showers prevented the start of play.

“Rain delays the start of the match,” the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said in a post on X.

Pakistan made one change from their final group-stage fixture, recalling Fakhar Zaman in place of Khawaja Nafay. New Zealand brought back regular captain Mitchell Santner along with Ish Sodhi and Lockie Ferguson.

Earlier in the week, Pakistan sealed their place in the Super Eights with a 102-run win over Namibia after posting 199-3, while New Zealand also advanced after finishing second in their group.

The second phase of the tournament began without former champions Australia, who failed to qualify, while Zimbabwe topped Group B with an unbeaten campaign.

With rain continuing in Colombo, officials were monitoring conditions to determine whether a shortened contest would be possible.

A washout would see both teams share points, potentially affecting semifinal calculations in the tightly contested group.

With input from AP