Howe targets Newcastle signing that will ‘make a difference’ with time running out in transfer window

Eddie Howe has revealed he is keen to add at least one more player to his Newcastle United ranks before the close of the transfer window. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 August 2022
Follow

Howe targets Newcastle signing that will ‘make a difference’ with time running out in transfer window

  • Club have had challenges getting deals over the line but the coach remains satisfied with his three signings and quality of squad

NEWCASTLE: Eddie Howe has revealed he is keen to add at least one more player to his Newcastle United ranks before the close of the transfer window.

However, the head coach has reiterated his stance that if no one signs between now and Sept. 1, he is happy with his current crop.

Newcastle’s hierarchy, driven largely by Howe, sporting director Dan Ashworth and head of recruitment Steve Nickson, have worked tirelessly throughout the summer to strengthen the first-team squad, particularly in the forward areas. But, to date, the club have only managed to sign three recruits in the defensive third — Nick Pope, Sven Botman and Matt Targett.

And while Howe is keen to bring at least one more through the door at St. James’ Park, he will not be disappointed to run with the players he already has.

“I’m hoping we can add a player that can make a difference to us, and that’s what we’ve been trying to do for the whole of the window,” Howe said.

“Time is running out, so hopefully it will drop for us.

“We’re still working hard behind the scenes to try and make something move in the market for us. (There is) No news imminent.”

While only three players have arrived at St. James’ Park, the squad does look to have a stronger feel to it, even from the back end of last season, particularly with top-scorer Callum Wilson fit and firing.

When asked if he’s happy with his current group, Howe said: “Absolutely. I believe in the group, I said that from the minute I signed.

“We’ve made changes to the group since then but my belief in the players is very strong.

“There is no way of knowing what will happen in the next couple of weeks, so absolutely I’d go forward with the group.”

The summer window has not been without its struggles for Howe and Newcastle, with a number of key targets and their clubs refusing to move.

That hasn’t stopped Newcastle trying, though, and their persistence has paid off in the past, particularly when it came to the protracted deal for Netherlands youth international Botman.

“I’m trying to be positive and look at the business we have done,” Howe said.

“We haven’t added huge numbers of players but I think we have added quality — that’s the key thing.

“It’s very easy to recruit players and different names that everyone gets excited about but the reality is the outcome and what you’re left with, how strong the team and squad is.

“The three players we’ve added have definitely added to the team and added to the group off the pitch as well in terms of team spirit and mentality of the group.

“(I am) Very positive on the business we’ve been able to do and, of course, we’re still looking to add the other way.”

Howe’s faith in his squad is underlined by the quality of players the club have looked to recruit this summer.

The head coach continued: “It’s a small pool but not through us not widening the search. It’s because there’s not a huge amount of players who will make our group better, and that is a compliment to the players we have.

“We’ve got a really good squad.

“Certainly, I’d love to add someone that can make us better but that is very difficult.

“Our search has been high and wide and far reaching but I don’t expect the pool of players we have to pick from changing from now to the end of the window.”

In January, the first window since the majority takeover by the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, Newcastle left it late to add two of their five deals — could it be the same again at the start of next month?

Howe said: “Certainly, there is an element of managers up and down the country waiting to see if they can add to the group before letting players go but I think that’s a natural thing at this stage of the window.”

One player grabbing the headlines when it comes to transfers at the moment is Brazilian forward Joao Pedro.

The Watford man has been subject to two rejected bids by United in the past few days and the club continue to weigh up whether to go back in with another.

Speaking about the bids, Howe was coy.

He said: “Nothing. No intel, unfortunately.”


T20 World Cup: England rout Sri Lanka for 95 to win Super Eights opener

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

T20 World Cup: England rout Sri Lanka for 95 to win Super Eights opener

  • England were asked to bat first, scored what looked like below-par 146-9
  • Archer, Will Jacks took five wickets to leave Sri Lanka top order in tatters

KANDY: England routed Sri Lanka for 95 to give captain Harry Brook a perfect birthday present as they opened the T20 World Cup Super Eights phase with a resounding 51-run win in Kandy on Sunday.

After England were asked to bat first and scored what looked like a below-par 146-9, Jofra Archer and Will Jacks took five wickets during the six-over power play to leave Sri Lanka’s top order in tatters at 34-5.

“That’s a beautiful birthday present,” said Brook, who turned 27 on Sunday.

“I thought we played exceptionally there. To get over the line and bowl them out for less than 100 is an awesome effort.

“I didn’t think there were really any demons on the pitch. I think the spinners on both sides used the pace really well, and that’s what brought a lot of wickets.”

It was England’s 12th win in a row against Sri Lanka and on a pitch that was sticky and slow after rain all week in Kandy.

The margin of victory gives them a healthy net run rate advantage in a Super Eights group that could be further affected by weather, after the New Zealand-Pakistan match was washed out on Saturday in Colombo.

“We’re buzzing with that,” said Jacks who was named player of the match for the third time in five matches in the tournament.

“At the halfway stage, we were pleased to get up to 146, but obviously we knew we were going to have to bowl well and work hard.”

The searing pace of Jofra Archer accounted for both openers, including the in-form Pathum Nissanka (9), who had scored a century and 62 in his last two knocks but failed to clear Jamie Overton at deep mid-wicket.

Archer finished with 2-20 and Jacks 3-22, the latter accounting for Kusal Mendis (4) and Pavan Rathnayake (0) in consecutive balls.

Dunith Wellalage staved off the hat-trick but lasted only 10 balls before also falling to Jacks, for 10.

LONE BATTLE

Dasun Shanaka fought a lone battle scoring 30 off 24 balls before falling to Adil Rashid.

The Sri Lanka captain took on the leg-spinner but Jacks took the catch and tossed the ball to Tom Banton before stepping over the boundary.

“It’s one bad game which is not affordable in a World Cup,” said Shanaka.

“But we need to bounce back in the next couple of games.”

Sri Lanka earlier restricted England to 146-9 with left-arm spinner Wellalage taking 3-26.

Phil Salt scored 62 at the top of the order but Sri Lanka, who are missing three of their frontline bowlers, contained the rest of the England batting line-up with regular wickets.

Wellalage was introduced during the power play and trapped the out-of-form Jos Buttler (7) and Brook (14), both lbw, as England limped to 68-4 at the halfway mark.

Salt was caught in the deep off Wellalage after facing 40 deliveries with six fours and two sixes.

Jacks, with 21, was the only other England batsman to score more than 20.

“Jacksie was pretty annoyed with the way he got out,” said Brook, who then explained why the new ball was tossed to the off-spinner.

“He said to me he always bowls better when he’s angry, and thankfully he got off to a cracking start.”

Left-arm seamer Dilshan Madushanka took 2-25 while Maheesh Theekshana took 2-21 with his offspin.