Willian leaves Corinthians following death threats

Corinthians' Willian (R) and Flamengo's Rodinei (L) vie for the ball during their Copa Libertadores football tournament quarterfinals all-Brazilian second leg match, at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 August 2022
Follow

Willian leaves Corinthians following death threats

  • "Willian asked us for his (contract) termination," said club president Duilio Monteiro Alves
  • "Whenever Corinthians lost and I didn't play well, my family received threats and insults on social media," Willian told the Globo Esporte website

SAO PAULO: Former Chelsea and Arsenal midfielder Willian quit Corinthians on Friday following the Brazilians’ Copa Libertadores elimination against domestic rivals Flamengo, after claiming he and his family received death threats on social media.
“Willian asked us for his (contract) termination. We are sad not to have him anymore and also because it didn’t go the way we expected. But we have to keep those here that are happy,” said club president Duilio Monteiro Alves.
It was only a year ago that the 34-year-old only rejoined the club where he made his professional debut in 2006. Local media have linked him with a move to promoted English Premier League side Fulham.
The return to Corinthians in Sao Paulo quickly turned sour for Willian both on the pitch where he scored one goal in 45 matches, and off it.
“Whenever Corinthians lost and I didn’t play well, my family received threats and insults on social media. My wife, my children, recently they also started attacking my father, my sister,” Willian told the Globo Esporte website.
“I didn’t play as well as I expected but I was never a player who scored 20 or 30 goals a season,” he told ESPN Brasil on Wednesday.
Willian, who also played for Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine and Russians Anzhi Makhachkala, leaves the club three days after they were eliminated from the Copa Libertadores quarter-finals by Flamengo, 3-0 on aggregate.


Flick tells Barca stars to feel ‘responsibility’ for dip

Updated 10 sec ago
Follow

Flick tells Barca stars to feel ‘responsibility’ for dip

  • “I think everyone is convinced about what we are doing, of course in these moments it’s not easy,” Flick said
  • “We were very honest and also very open, it’s not only me telling them what to do, I want to ask them”

BARCELONA: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick told his team they must feel responsibility after two damaging defeats ahead of Sunday’s clash against Levante in La Liga.
The Catalan giants are bolstered by the return of Pedri Gonzalez and Marcus Rashford after injury as they aim to overhaul Real Madrid in the Spanish title race.
After a 4-0 thrashing by Atletico Madrid last week in the Copa del Rey semifinal first leg, Barca fell to a 2-1 league defeat against Girona on Monday, giving Los Blancos a two-point advantage at the summit.
“I think everyone is convinced about what we are doing, of course in these moments it’s not easy,” Flick told reporters Saturday.
“For me, communication is always important. We were very honest and also very open, it’s not only me telling them what to do, I want to ask them. This is how I manage the team.
“It is important because we need leaders on the pitch, they should (be able) to say something. That’s how communication is, on the same eye-level.
“At the end, I have to decide things, that is my job, but I want the players to feel the responsibility about this situation, and I think they do.”
Rashford returns after a fortnight out with a knee problem, while key playmaker Pedri has missed a month with a hamstring injury.
“The positive thing is Rashford is back, Pedri is back,” said Flick.
“Maybe (Pedri) can play some minutes, the important thing is he’s training, with his quality.
“He’s an important player for us, he’s a different kind of leader because of his quality.
“He can also be one of these leaders for the future for this club.”
Flick also confirmed 21-year-old midfielder Gavi is back in training after undergoing knee surgery in September 2025.
Real Madrid visit Osasuna on Saturday aiming to stretch their lead on Barca before Levante visit Camp Nou.