‘Butcher of Karaj’ is jailed for life over executions in Iran

The proceedings marked the first time an Iranian official has gone on trial for the mass executions. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 July 2022
Follow

‘Butcher of Karaj’ is jailed for life over executions in Iran

  • Stockholm District Court said Hamid Noury took part in severe atrocities in July-August 1988
  • Noury denied wrongdoing during the trial proceedings that ended May 4

JEDDAH: A prosecutor dubbed the “butcher of Karaj” was jailed for life on Thursday for his role in the mass execution and torture of dissident political prisoners in Iran in 1988.

Stockholm District Court in Sweden said Hamid Noury, 61, had “jointly and in collusion with others been involved in the executions,” which were a “serious crime against international law.”

Noury was an assistant to the deputy prosecutor at the notorious Gohardasht Prison in Karaj, where thousands of Iranian political dissidents were tortured and executed. Amnesty International estimated the number killed on government orders at 5,000, and said in a 2018 report that “the real number could be higher.”

Noury was arrested at a Stockholm airport in 2019, and charged with war crimes. He is the only person to face trial over the purge that targeted members of the People’s Mujahideen and other political dissidents.

Under Swedish law, its courts can try people for crimes against international law committed abroad.

Hundreds of exiled Iranians who gathered at the court on Thursday greeted the verdict with jubilant cheers. Reza Fallahi, 65, who spent 10 years in jail in Iran for supporting the opposition, said he hoped Noury would provide information about the killings. “We are just looking for truth and for justice,” he said.

The National Council of Resistance of Iran said “justice will be served” when the highest officials were brought before the courts. Rights groups say Iran’s current President Ebrahim Raisi was one of four judges who oversaw the executions.


Landmine explosion in Sudan kills 9, including 3 children

The war between the regular army and the RSF which began in April 2023 has left Sudan strewn with mines and unexploded ordnance.
Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Landmine explosion in Sudan kills 9, including 3 children

  • “Nine people, three of them children, were killed by a mine explosion while they were in a tuk-tuk,” a medical source at Al-Abbasiya hospital said

KHARTOUM: A land mine explosion killed nine people in Sudan on Sunday, including three children, as they were riding in an auto-rickshaw along a road in the frontline region of Kordofan, a medical source told AFP.
The war between the regular army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which began in April 2023, has left Sudan strewn with mines and unexploded ordnance, though the explosive that caused Sunday’s deaths could also have dated back to previous rebellions that have shaken South Kordofan state since 2011.
“Nine people, three of them children, were killed by a mine explosion while they were in a tuk-tuk,” a medical source at Al-Abbasiya hospital said.
The vehicle was reduced to “a metal carcass,” witness Abdelbagi Issa told AFP by phone.
“We were walking behind the tuk-tuk along the road to the market when we heard the sound of an explosion,” he said. “People fell to the ground and the tuk-tuk was destroyed.”
Kordofan has become the center of fighting in the nearly three-year war ever since the RSF forced the army out of its last foothold in the neighboring Darfur region late last year.
Since it broke out, Sudan’s civil war has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 11 million to flee their homes, triggering a dire humanitarian crisis.
It has also effectively split the country in two, with the army holding the north, center and east while the RSF and its allies control the west and parts of the south.