Spotify jumps on Wordle wagon with Heardle buyout

Spotify hopes the new acquisition will facilitate users’ discovery of new music. (Spotify)
Short Url
Updated 13 July 2022
Follow

Spotify jumps on Wordle wagon with Heardle buyout

  • Some fans of the music guessing game vent over location bans, win streak losses

LONDON: Spotify announced on Tuesday that it had acquired Heardle, the popular music guessing game inspired by the five-letter word guessing game Wordle.

“We are always looking for innovative and playful ways to enhance music discovery, and help artists reach new fans,” said Jeremy Erlich, global head of music at Spotify. 

“Heardle has proven to be a really fun way to connect millions of fans with songs they know and love, and with new songs and a way to compete with their friends as to who has the best musical knowledge.”

Heardle players are tasked with guessing a song based on its opening notes. They get six guesses, with each hint giving a few more seconds of music to inform their next answer. 

Ultimately, players get a chance to discover the song in its entirety, whether or not they guessed it correctly. 

Spotify hopes the new acquisition will facilitate users’ discovery of new music. 

The music giant revealed that the look and feel of the new Heardle app will not change. However, the acquisition was met with mixed reactions from Heardle fans. 

Some players took to social media to express outrage at the buyout, with some claiming that the app had been blocked in their country following the Spotify takeover.

 

 

Others complained that their scores had failed to transfer to the new app, resulting in losses of long winning streaks in the game.

 

 

 

 

Spotify responded to the complaints, suggesting that users head over to the Heardle app to transfer their stats.

“We know that stats aren’t carrying over for everyone. We are actively working on the issue so that you can keep your winning streak alive,” Spotify claimed.

Although Heardle might be a small purchase compared to some of Spotify’s other acquisitions, it adds to the music giant’s expanding offerings beyond music streaming.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.