Evening Standard records losses for fifth consecutive year

Image: Shutterstock
Short Url
Updated 12 July 2022
Follow

Evening Standard records losses for fifth consecutive year

  • Owned by the Russian-British businessman Evgeny Lebedev, the free London-based newspaper has undergone major internal restructuring in the last two years

LONDON: London’s Evening Standard on Tuesday reported a loss of £14 million ($16.61 million) for the last year, taking its total tally of losses to nearly £70 million within the past five years.

Despite major cost-cutting, the daily newspaper, which relies on advertising for 90 percent of its revenue, is still reeling from the pandemic as commuter numbers remain well below pre-2020 levels.

“The coronavirus pandemic continued to cause an industry-wide reduction in advertising revenue which, when combined with fewer people traveling by public transport in Greater London and a lack of future visibility, resulted in a number of challenges across the sector,” the company said. “Challenges on print revenues required the company to be diligent on costs.”

Owned by the Russian-British businessman Evgeny Lebedev, the free London-based newspaper has undergone major internal restructuring in the last two years, with the former editor Emily Sheffield resigning after just 15 months.

Sheffield, the sister-in-law of former UK Prime Minister David Cameron, took over from the former UK Chancellor George Osborne in June 2020.

The company also reduced staff numbers by more than a quarter, bringing down its annual loss from the £17 million recorded in 2020.

In 2017-18, Lebedev, who also owns stakes in The Independent newspaper, sold a third of the Evening Standard to an unknown Cayman Islands company.

The newspaper industry suffered huge losses because of the pandemic, given the decrease in ad revenues, furloughed employees, and economic slowdowns.

In November 2020, the UK reported that national print newspaper sales had fallen by over 30 percent since a government-ordered lockdown started in March that year.

In other parts of the world, readership of newspapers fell by 60 percent,  and revenue dropped by as much as 80 percent.


‘Tehran’ producer Dana Eden found dead in Athens hotel room

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

‘Tehran’ producer Dana Eden found dead in Athens hotel room

  • Greek police say death being treated as suicide

DUBAI: Dana Eden, a producer of the Israeli thriller series “Tehran,” was found dead in her hotel room in Athens on Sunday, according to Israel’s public broadcaster Kan.

The 52-year-old was reportedly in Greece for the filming of the show’s fourth season, which stars Niv Sultan, Shaun Toub, and Hugh Laurie.

Greek police said that the cause of death had not been officially confirmed but that the case was being treated as a suicide based on available evidence and witness testimony, according to media reports. 

Eden co-led the production company Donna and Shula Productions with showrunner Shula Spiegel.

In a statement issued Monday, the company said that “the rumors about criminal death or about a national background are not true and are not grounded,” and urged the media and public to “behave responsibly and sensibly” and “refrain from publishing unverified assumptions.

“It’s a moment of great pain for the family, friends and colleagues. We ask to preserve Dana’s dignity and the privacy of her dears,” the statement added.