Qatar says World Cup fans seeking rooms have ‘a lot of options’

General view of a room in Msheireb neighbourhood which will host fans for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 29 June 2022
Follow

Qatar says World Cup fans seeking rooms have ‘a lot of options’

  • Prices for accommodation range from 300 Qatari rials to several thousand dollars per night

DOHA: Qatar said on Tuesday that World Cup fans have “a lot of options” with more than 100,000 rooms currently available and tens of thousands more expected by the tournament’s kickoff.
Some football supporters have expressed concern that they have been unable to find accommodation in line with their budget for the World Cup, which runs from November 21 to December 18.
Prices range from 300 Qatari rials (just over $80) to several thousand dollars per night.
Qatar has so far taken more than 25,000 bookings, said Omar Al-Jaber, the official in charge of accommodation for the tournament’s organizing committee, specifying that he was taking about “bookings, not rooms or nights.”
“If you go through our website, you will find a lot of options,” he told reporters on a tour of an available apartment in Doha.
“And if you don’t find it today, you need to check tomorrow or after tomorrow... because... we add more inventory to this portal.
“More than 100,000 rooms (are) available as of today,” he said. “If we go to November, maybe we’ll reach more than 130,000 rooms or 140,000 rooms.”
Supporters normally find accommodation themselves for such tournaments.
But Qatar — set to host the most geographically concentrated World Cup in history and with limited hotel capacity — is seeking to channel supporters through an official platform that is reserved for ticket holders and managed by the tournament’s organizers.
Eighty-five percent of accommodation — whether permanent or temporary — is now complete and the remainder will be finished by a “deadline” of end-August, according to Jaber.
The country will be closed to visitors without match tickets during the course of the tournament, Jaber said.
As of Tuesday, the US, Mexico, United Kingdom, Argentina and India accounted for some of the biggest sources of reservations.


Dubai Basketball clinch ABA League playoff qualification

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Dubai Basketball clinch ABA League playoff qualification

  • The 100-82 victory over Bosna BH Telecom came in Round 1 of the ABA League Top 8

DUBAI: Dubai Basketball delivered a commanding 100-82 victory over Bosna BH Telecom in Round 1 of the ABA League Top 8, securing qualification to the playoffs and becoming the first team to confirm their place post the ABA League second phase.

Hosting Bosna for the first time in the city, Dubai entered the second phase of the competition at the top of the Top 8 standings and reinforced their position with one of their most complete performances of the season, combining offensive balance with sustained defensive control.

The opening quarter set the tone. Dubai established early control through assertive offensive execution and disciplined half-court defence, keeping the game largely in the visitors’ half. Dzanan Musa found rhythm midway through the period, while Mfiondu Kabengele imposed himself physically inside. Although Bosna managed to reduce the deficit to four points late in the quarter, Dubai’s structure ensured they closed the first 10 minutes with the advantage.

Head coach of Dubai, Jurica Golemac, commented on the teams’ performance, saying, “It was a very difficult game to play after these trips. Bosna is a very good team, and the result doesn’t show the real face of the game. They fought well, and we needed to play a really strong game to win. In the end, I’m happy that we made it.”

“It’s great that we are under pressure. That means we are standing well in February and that we achieved something. But we are looking game by game, putting pressure on ourselves because we know we can play with everybody if we are 100 percent focused and 100 percent together.”

Bosna responded in the second quarter, with Michael Lamor Young Jr. making a significant impact and helping the visitors find improved flow offensively. Despite occasional defensive breakdowns that allowed Bosna to penetrate, many of the visitors’ attempts fell short under pressure. A timely three-pointer from Aleksa Avramovic steadied Dubai, and improved ball movement exposed gaps in Bosna’s coverage. The hosts capitalized by stretching the margin to 10 points, taking a 45–35 lead as their cohesion began to separate the sides.

The third quarter presented Bosna’s strongest push. The visitors opened the half with renewed intensity, briefly narrowing the gap behind a productive spell from Young again. However, Dubai’s physicality and versatility proved decisive. Kabengele’s ability to stretch the floor, combined with continued interior control, prevented Bosna from sustaining momentum. By the end of the period, Dubai had rebuilt a 12-point cushion and regained full command of the contest.

Bosna entered the final quarter with resilience, but Dubai’s offensive consistency ensured the lead never fell to a threatening margin, ultimately winning over the Bosnian side with an 18-point difference.

Kabengele led the scoring charge with 21 points, anchoring Dubai’s offensive production. Bosnia’s own Dzanan Musa added 15, while McKinley Wright contributed 13. The result strengthens Dubai’s position at the top of the standings and confirms their progression into the playoff stage as the ABA League season moves toward its decisive phase.

Dubai’s next home game marks another EuroLeague night as the fight for the playoffs intensifies. Following an away win against Milan, the team now sits in 11th place — just one spot shy of a Play-In berth.