Rocket attack kills 10 Syria soldiers

A picture shows workers at the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra on May 9, 2022. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 14 May 2022
Follow

Rocket attack kills 10 Syria soldiers

  • Assailants fire an anti-tank guided missile at a bus carrying pro-regime fighters back to their home villages

BEIRUT: Syrian militants killed 10 soldiers in northern Syria on Friday, in the deadliest such attack since a truce deal reached over two years ago, a war monitor and pro-regime media said.

Nine soldiers were also wounded in the attack, Syria’s official news agency SANA reported, quoting a military source.
“Around 9:30 this morning terrorists targeted an army bus” in the west of Aleppo province, SANA said, quoting the source.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights had reported earlier on Friday that “pro-regime fighters” died in the assault.
It was not immediately clear whether it was carried out by the area’s dominant extremist group, Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham, or other rebel forces, the monitor said.
The attackers fired an anti-tank guided missile at a bus carrying pro-regime fighters back to their home villages, said Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman.

BACKGROUND

Friday’s death toll was the heaviest reported in pro-regime ranks from an opposition attack since a truce agreement brokered by Russia and Turkey in March 2020.

He said six rebel fighters were killed this month in similar attacks conducted by regime soldiers or allied militia.
Friday’s death toll was the heaviest reported in pro-regime ranks from an opposition attack since a truce agreement brokered by Russia and Turkey in March 2020.
Before Russia intervened in the Syrian conflict, the regime of President Bashar Assad controlled barely a fifth of the national territory.
With Russian and Iranian support, Damascus clawed back much of the ground lost in the early stages of the conflict, which erupted in 2011 when the government brutally repressed pro-democracy protests.
The last pocket of armed opposition to the regime includes large swathes of Idlib province and parts of the neighboring Aleppo, Hama and Latakia provinces.
HTS, headed by ex-members of Syria’s former Al-Qaeda franchise, is the dominant group in the area but other rebel groups are also active, with varying degrees of Turkish backing.
The 2020 truce deal has held despite sporadic attacks by both sides, including continued Russian air strikes.
Turkey was keen to cement its influence in northern Syria and avert a new phase of fighting in the conflict that could have caused an unprecedented wave of refugees to flood its border.
Turkey is home to more than 3.6 million Syrian refugees and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, facing rising public anger over the issue, has suggested that his government would encourage a million of them to return.


First Ramadan after truce brings flicker of joy in devastated Gaza

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

First Ramadan after truce brings flicker of joy in devastated Gaza

  • Ramadan lanterns and string lights appear on streets lined with collapsed buildings and piles of rubble in Gaza City
  • The first holy month since the October ceasefire brings mixed feelings for the many still living in tents
GAZA CITY: Little Ramadan lanterns and string lights appeared on streets lined with collapsed buildings and piles of rubble in Gaza City, bringing joy and respite as Islam’s holiest month began — the first since October’s ceasefire.
In the Omari mosque, dozens of worshippers performed the first Ramadan morning prayer, fajr, bare feet on the carpet but donning heavy jackets to stave off the winter cold.
“Despite the occupation, the destruction of mosques and schools, and the demolition of our homes... we came in spite of these harsh conditions,” Abu Adam, a resident of Gaza City who came to pray, told AFP.
“Even last night, when the area was targeted, we remained determined to head to the mosque to worship God,” he said.
A security source in Gaza told AFP Wednesday that artillery shelling targeted the eastern parts of Gaza City that morning.
The source added that artillery shelling also targeted a refugee camp in central Gaza.
Israel does not allow international journalists to enter the Gaza Strip, preventing AFP and other news organizations from independently verifying casualty figures.

‘Stifled joy’

In Gaza’s south, tens of thousands of people still live in tents and makeshift shelters as they wait for the territory’s reconstruction after a US-brokered ceasefire took hold in October.
Nivin Ahmed, who lives in a tent in the area known as Al-Mawasi, told AFP this first Ramadan without war brought “mixed and varied feelings.”
“The joy is stifled. We miss people who were martyred, are still missing, detained, or even traveled,” she said.
“The Ramadan table used to be full of the most delicious dishes and bring together all our loved ones,” the 50-year-old said.
“Today, I can barely prepare a main dish and a side dish. Everything is expensive. I can’t invite anyone for Iftar or suhoor,” she said, referring to the meals eaten before and after the daily fast of Ramadan.
Despite the ceasefire, shortages remain in Gaza, whose battered economy and material damage have rendered most residents at least partly dependent on humanitarian aid for their basic needs.
But with all entries into the tiny territory under Israeli control, not enough goods are able to enter to bring prices down, according to the United Nations and aid groups.

‘Still special’

Maha Fathi, 37, was displaced from Gaza City and lives in a tent west of the city.
“Despite all the destruction and suffering in Gaza, Ramadan is still special,” she told AFP.
“People have begun to empathize with each other’s suffering again after everyone was preoccupied with themselves during the war.”
She said that her family and neighbors were able to share moments of joy as they prepared food for suhoor and set up Ramadan decorations.
“Everyone longs for the atmosphere of Ramadan. Seeing the decorations and the activity in the markets fills us with hope for a return to stability,” she added.
On the beach at central Gaza’s Deir el-Balah, Palestinian artist Yazeed Abu Jarad contributed to the holiday spirit with his art.
In the sand near the Mediterranean Sea, he sculpted “Welcome Ramadan” in ornate Arabic calligraphy, under the curious eye of children from a nearby tent camp.
Nearly all of Gaza’s 2.2 million residents were displaced at least once during the more than two years of war between Israel and Hamas, sparked by the latter’s unprecedented October 7 attack on Israel.
Mohammed Al-Madhoun, 43, also lives in a tent west of Gaza City, and hoped for brighter days ahead.
“I hope this is the last Ramadan we spend in tents. I feel helpless in front of my children when they ask me to buy lanterns and dream of an Iftar table with all their favorite foods.”
“We try to find joy despite everything,” he said, describing his first Ramadan night out with the neighbors, eating the pre-fast meal and praying.
“The children were as if they were on a picnic,” he said.