TUNIS: The death toll from several migrant shipwrecks off the Tunisian coast has risen to 17 people, a judicial official said on Sunday.
On Saturday the Tunisian coast guard said four boats carrying 120 African migrants headed for Italy had sunk off the coast near the city of Sfax.
Another 5 bodies were recovered on Sunday, adding to 12 found by the coast guard overnight, said Mourad Turki, spokesperson for Sfax Courts. The coast guard said 98 people had been rescued.
The coastline of Sfax has become a major departure point for people fleeing conflict and poverty in Africa and the Middle East and seeking a better life in Europe.
In recent months, dozens of people have drowned off the Tunisian coast, with an increase in the frequency of attempted crossings from Tunisia and Libya toward Italy.
Hundreds of thousands of people have made the perilous Mediterranean crossing in recent years.
Death toll from migrant shipwrecks off Tunisia rises to 17
Short Url
https://arab.news/2u45m
Death toll from migrant shipwrecks off Tunisia rises to 17
Restoring economic growth in Lebanon will require comprehensive reforms, IMF says
- Kozack said the IMF remained in discussions with Lebanese authorities
WASHINGTON: Lebanon’s economy has shown resilience despite conflicts in the region, with tourism fueling a bit of a rebound, but restoring growth will require comprehensive reforms, the International Monetary Fund said on Thursday.
IMF spokeswoman Julie Kozack said the IMF remained in discussions with Lebanese authorities, following their request for an IMF-supported program in March 2025, including a staff mission to Beirut in early February.
Discussions were focused on two big issues, she said, citing the need for banking sector restructuring and a medium-term fiscal strategy.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










