Miami International Autodrome nears completion ahead of debut F1 Grand Prix

1 / 5
Construction of Miami’s International Autodrome, which will host the city’s Grand Prix next month, is now “95 percent complete.” (Supplied)
2 / 5
Construction of Miami’s International Autodrome, which will host the city’s Grand Prix next month, is now “95 percent complete.” (Supplied)
3 / 5
Construction of Miami’s International Autodrome, which will host the city’s Grand Prix next month, is now “95 percent complete.” (Supplied)
4 / 5
Construction of Miami’s International Autodrome, which will host the city’s Grand Prix next month, is now “95 percent complete.” (Supplied)
5 / 5
Construction of Miami’s International Autodrome, which will host the city’s Grand Prix next month, is now “95 percent complete.” (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 18 April 2022
Follow

Miami International Autodrome nears completion ahead of debut F1 Grand Prix

  • ‘We have tried to create a track that drivers love to race on,’ event’s CEO says

LONDON: Construction of Miami’s International Autodrome, which will host the city’s Grand Prix next month, is now “95 percent complete,” the event’s organizers said on Monday.

Work on the 5.4 km circuit began in April last year and all of its permanent structures, including the pit building, garages and race control tower, are almost finished, with the final lift of asphalt laying being completed in March.

The focus in the run-up to the race will now shift to the final fit of the temporary structures around the Miami Campus and minor works, such as painting curbs and installing temporary safety barriers, the organizers said.

“We’re in the final stages of this incredible circuit that will host the first-ever Formula 1 race in Miami,” said Richard Cregan, CEO of the Miami Grand Prix.

“We are delighted with the progress we have made and it’s a huge credit to the hard work of the team here in Miami, in consultation with both Formula 1 and the FIA to get this circuit finished in a tight timeline.”

He continued: “We have tried to create a track that drivers love to race on and a campus that offers unique, best-in-class fan experiences. And we can’t wait for the first weekend in May to be here.”

The 19-turn circuit is the latest to host a round of the Formula 1 World Championship, and features three straights — the longest being 1.28 km — three DRS zones, and simulations predict drivers will be on full throttle for 58 percent of the lap, with an estimated top speed of 320 kph.

“There has been no compromise on any aspect of the circuit design or quality of construction,” Cregan said.

“In my experience of working with new venues over the years, I’ve never seen as much effort on perfecting the surface of the track as we have done in Miami. Everything was exactly per the design, and everyone involved in construction has done an incredible job.”


PSG rally from early deficit to beat Monaco 3-2 away in Champions League playoff

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

PSG rally from early deficit to beat Monaco 3-2 away in Champions League playoff

  • PSG are now in an advantageous position for the return leg in Paris next Wednesday as they look to progress to next month’s last 16

MONACO: Champions League holders Paris St. Germain overcame a horror start and a two-goal deficit to beat 10-man Monaco 3-2 away in the first leg ​of their knockout round playoff tie on Tuesday.
Desire Doue came off the bench to engineer an impressive turnaround for PSG, who conceded a goal in the opening minute and were 2-0 down after 18 minutes as Folarin Balogun grabbed a double for the hosts.
The 20-year-old Doue replaced Ballon d’Or winner Ousmane Dembele, who went off injured after 27 minutes, and proved decisive for the visitors as he struck two superb goals plus set up one for Achraf Hakimi.
Monaco spent most of the second half down to 10 men after Aleksandr Golovin was shown a red card for a studs-up tackle that raked ‌down the shin ‌of Vitinha with the referee upgrading his original caution to a ​sending ‌off ⁠after ​consulting ⁠the touchline VAR screen.
PSG are now in an advantageous position for the return leg in Paris next Wednesday as they look to progress to next month’s last 16.
However, the European champions were in all sorts of trouble after 56 seconds when their fullback Nuno Mendes had a stray cross-field pass cut out in midfield, handing Monaco a first attack with Golovin chipping for Balogun to head home from close range.
Monaco looked to be in the driving seat as Balogun netted a second goal after Maghnes Akliouche’s cleverly weighted pass allowed ⁠the American striker to outsprint PSG captain Marquinhos and score.

PSG WASTE PENALTY OPPORTUNITY ‌BUT STILL WIN
Their fortunes were still looking good despite a ‌defensive slip by Wout Faes, which led to the defender pulling ​back on Khvicha Kvaratskhelia and giving away a ‌22nd-minute penalty, but Vitinha’s effort was saved by Philipp Kohn.
But the tie swung as Doue came ‌on for Dembele and scored with his first touch in the 29th minute with a left-footed effort after being teed up by Bradley Barcola. The goal was confirmed after a VAR check denied Monaco’s claims for a foul on defender Vanderson in the buildup.
Doue’s rifling shot in the 41st minute was parried away by Kohn, but Hakimi ‌reacted quickly to pounce on the rebound and make it 2-2 before the break.
Golovin’s dismissal in the 48th minute left Monaco on the back ⁠foot as the visitors then ⁠dominated proceedings and should have had more than just the 67th-minute winner from Doue – another superbly struck shot that flew into the goal from the edge of the penalty area.
“I didn’t feel I had to show something starting on the bench, I tried to play as usual. Tonight it paid off. I was able to score, to help the team. That’s my job,” Doue said.
“The coach makes his choices, he thinks about putting the best players in the team. Tonight he fielded this starting eleven, which is very good. Whether it’s a defeat or a victory, it’s always a team effort.”
PSG midfielder Warren Zaire-Emery missed a couple of good chances and Hakimi came close to a late fourth goal when his 86th-minute angled effort went close across the face of the goal.
“Disappointment is the overriding feeling,” ​said Monaco captain Denis Zakaria. “We went into this ​match with the aim of winning, but we didn’t manage to do it today. We still have our chances. We’re going to Paris and trying to win there.”