Arab embassies in Japan check on citizens’ safety after massive earthquake

Earthquake-affected residents shelter in an omnisport venue in Soma, Fukushima Prefecture on March 17, 2022, after a 7.3-magnitude quake jolted east Japan the night before. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 March 2022
Follow

Arab embassies in Japan check on citizens’ safety after massive earthquake

  • The intense quake left many areas in the country without electricity and is so far known to have claimed the lives of four people, with 97 injured, according to Japan’s Prime Minister Fumio Kishida

DUBAI: Several embassies from the Arab world in Japan are calling for the safety of their citizens and providing helplines in case of emergencies after an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.4 hit parts of northeastern Japan. 

The intense quake left many areas in the country without electricity and is so far known to have claimed the lives of one person, with 97 injured, according to Japan’s Prime Minister Fumio Kishida.

The government set up a quake response task force at the crisis management center of the prime minister’s office after the quake. Arab embassies are following developments diligently and keeping its citizens updated.

The Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Japan tweeted that they were following up on the effects of the earthquake and stressing the safety of its citizens. 

 

 

Similarly, the UAE’s embassy in Tokyo provided a helpline telephone number to ensure its citizens are safely sheltered. 

 

 

The Embassy of Kuwait in Tokyo tweeted it was following thoroughly the developments of the aftermath of the powerful earthquake. It also called on citizens to abide by the instructions of local Japanese authorities.

 

 

The Embassy of Bahrain in Japan tweeted calling on its citizens to follow all instructions, especially considering the tsunami warning.

 

 

The Jordanian Embassy in Japan also tweeted asking Jordanian citizens to follow the utmost precaution and abide by local authorities’ instructions.

 

 

This article originally published in Japanese on Arab News Japan


Australian warship transits Taiwan Strait, tracked by China’s navy

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Australian warship transits Taiwan Strait, tracked by China’s navy

  • The Toowoomba ‘conducted a routine transit through the Taiwan Strait’
  • ‘All interactions with ‌foreign ships and ‌aircraft were safe and professional’
SYDNEY: An Australian ‌warship sailed through the Taiwan Strait, a government source said on Sunday in the latest transit of the sensitive waterway by a US ally, which Chinese state-backed media said was tracked and monitored by the nation’s military.
In addition to claiming sovereignty over democratically governed Taiwan, Beijing views the narrow, highly strategic strait as Chinese ‌territorial waters ‌and has responded aggressively on ‌occasion ⁠to foreign navies ⁠sailing there.
The Toowoomba, an Anzac-class frigate of the Royal Australian Navy, “conducted a routine transit through the Taiwan Strait” on Friday and Saturday as part of a “Regional Presence Deployment in the Indo-Pacific region,” ⁠the source said.
“All interactions with ‌foreign ships and ‌aircraft were safe and professional,” the source said.
China’s ‌state-backed Global Times newspaper, citing an unnamed ‌Chinese military source, reported late on Saturday that “the Chinese People’s Liberation Army carried out full-process tracking, monitoring, and alert operations throughout ‌the transit.”
US warships traverse the strait every few months, enraging Beijing, and ⁠some ⁠US allies, such as France, Australia, Britain and Canada, have also made occasional transits.
China has ramped up its military presence around Taiwan and staged its latest war games around the island in late December.
Taiwan’s government rejects Beijing’s sovereignty claims, saying only the island’s people can decide their future.