COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia continue to drop

Saudi Arabia announced one death from COVID-19 and 677 new infections on Thursday. (File/SPA)
Short Url
Updated 24 February 2022
Follow

COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia continue to drop

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 718,979
  • A total of 8,991 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

JEDDAH: The number of new COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia is continuing to decline as the Ministry of Health, on Thursday, reported 677 confirmed cases, 1,585 recoveries and a single virus-related death. 

On Wednesday, over 620 cases were reported, while 1,880 recoveries were recorded. Cases have been decreasing since Jan. 19, when over 5,920 cases were recorded. The new numbers bring the total recoveries to 718,979. However, nearly 700 critical cases are still receiving treatment in the intensive care units. 

According to the Health Ministry, more than 60.6 million COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in the Kingdom since the nationwide vaccination campaign began in December 2020. 

Meanwhile, over 40,449,725 PCR tests have been performed and 8,991 deaths have been reported since the pandemic started. 

The Health Ministry sent Arab News a list of updated statistics about the vaccination campaign. It said that 25,912,022 people in Saudi Arabia of both citizens and residents have received the first dose of the vaccine, while 24,131,237 people received their second doses. 

It added that 10,556,752 people have received a booster. The ministry also said that 1,945,248 doses of the vaccine have been taken by elderly people. It added that most of the elderly people have received the two doses in addition to the booster vaccine.

Last November, the Saudi Food and Drug Authority approved the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children aged between 5 and 11. After the vaccine was proved safe and effective, Saudi health authorities began administering the inoculation to the children in December. In January, the Saudi Ministry of Education announced that elementary and kindergarten students could return to their schools.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Interior announced that more than 22,900 people have been arrested in the past week for violating COVID-19 precautionary measures and health protocols. The ministry reminded the public that anyone who violates the instructions related to isolation or quarantine would be punished with a fine of up to SR200,000 or imprisonment for a period not exceeding two years. It added that the two penalties could also be applied.


Cabinet reviews Founding Day celebrations, rejects Israeli land laws

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Cabinet reviews Founding Day celebrations, rejects Israeli land laws

  • The meeting also acknowledged the start of the holy month of Ramadan

RIYADH: King Salman chaired a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday to review plans for this year’s Saudi Founding Day celebrations in Riyadh on Sunday, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

The annual event, which falls on Feb. 22, commemorates the history of the Saudi state and its values of justice, cohesion and development established over nearly three centuries.

The meeting also acknowledged the start of the holy month of Ramadan, on Tuesday evening, and the continued success of the Hajj and Umrah seasons, which saw 19.5 million foreign pilgrims visiting the Kingdom last year, reflecting the progress toward the goals of Saudi Vision 2030.

Minister of Information Salman Al-Dossari said after the meeting that the Cabinet was also briefed on the recent discussions between Saudi Arabia and other countries aimed at strengthening cooperation and enhancing security, stability, development and prosperity at both the regional and international level.

The ministers also condemned Israel’s decision to convert West Bank land into what it calls “state property” and reiterated their rejection of these illegal measures.

The meeting reviewed developments in the economic, cultural and social sectors and  expressed the nation’s continued support for the National Campaign for Charitable Work, the sixth edition of which will be held on Friday.

The ministers praised the success of the latest World Defense Show held in Riyadh last week, at which several agreements and strategic partnerships were reached to localize technologies, develop military industries and strengthen local supply chains in line with Vision 2030.

The Cabinet approved a memorandum of understanding between the General Directorate of Financial Investigations and the Anti-Money Laundering Monitoring and Analysis Center of the People’s Bank of China to enhance cooperation on financial investigations related to money laundering, terrorist financing and related crimes.

It also approved the National Strategy for Biosafety and Security, endorsed regulations governing the continued presence of vehicles registered in Gulf Cooperation Council states within Saudi Arabia and approved amendments to the basic statute of the World Esports Cup Foundation, which will be renamed the Esports Foundation.