Saudi Arabia’s flag will be raised tomorrow as the only GCC member participating in 2022 Beijing Olympics

1 / 2
Saudi professional skier Fayik Abdi, center, reached the Chinese capital on Thursday in preparation for his historic participation at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics, starting Feb. 4. (Supplied)
2 / 2
Saudi professional skier Fayik Abdi, right, reached the Chinese capital on Thursday in preparation for his historic participation at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics, starting Feb. 4. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 04 February 2022
Follow

Saudi Arabia’s flag will be raised tomorrow as the only GCC member participating in 2022 Beijing Olympics

  • Launched in 2021 with the backing of the Ministry of Sports, the newly-established SWSF were able to get three athletes to qualify for the winter olympics

RIYADH: In a huge milestone for Saudi Arabia the country’s flag will be raised high on Friday at the opening ceremony of the 2022 Beijing Olympics, the only Gulf nation to compete at the winter games.

“We are very happy and proud to be able to participate. We are the only GCC country that has ever qualified for the Winter Olympics,” said Rabab Mahassen, vice president of the Saudi Winter Sport Federation, which was launched in 2021 with the backing of the Ministry of Sports. “Saudi Arabia’s flag will be marching at the opening of the Beijing Olympics tomorrow, and that in itself is a huge win for the Kingdom.

 

“We selected the most promising and skilled athletes and then created the perfect program for them,” Mahassen told Arab News.

Last October, Fayik Abdi managed to score the most points during the Federation Internationale Switzerland qualifiers in Geneva and was selected by the SWSF as the athlete to advance to the games.




Saudi professional skier Fayik Abdi. (Supplied)

Abdi will be the only Saudi Winter Olympian to go and will be competing in the alpine skiing Giant Slalom category. The Saudi skier arrived in the Chinese capital on Thursday in preparation for his historic participation on Feb. 13.

Two other Saudis — skiers Salman Al-Howaish and Rakan Alireza — earned enough qualifying points to be eligible to compete in Beijing but Saudi Arabia was only allocated one place at the games.

In May 2021, the SWSF launched a nationwide campaign seeking serious Saudi skiers and snowboarders who could represent their nation at the games and were deluged with responses, according to Mahassen.

Impressed with the level of proficiency Saudis possessed in different alpine disciplines, the federation narrowed their search by focusing on those who had already been training with a club or coach and possessed athletic ability, talent, speed, power and a desire to push their boundaries.

Mahassen, herself a lifelong skier, worked closely with Ahmad Al-Tabbaa, the SWSF president, on strategy, development and communication to develop the program for the Saudi athletes.

“We created a special training program for our athletes in Europe with the help of an international company called International Racers, and our advisory board,” she said. “We are very proud of our athletes, and this is only the beginning, we plan to reach 20 to 30 athletes racing in world circuits by 2026.”

One of the main challenges the federation faced was providing natural or man-landscaped terrain. As a non-traditional winter sport nation, the SWSF sent its athletes to Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France for training camps to reach peak condition for the Olympics.

“We followed the snow,” Mahassen said.

The SWSF has 17 sports under its umbrella. For this year, Mahassen told Arab News, focusing on snow sports such as skiing made more sense for the programs they could organize quickly.

The federation also established a scholarship program for winter athletes to train in France to develop their skills in their respective sports.

According to the vice president, the federation plans to launch more programs in the future that will encourage young Saudi athletes who wish to reach new heights in their sport, while a PIF-backed company called Seven plans to open large indoor ski resorts in Jeddah, Dammam and Riyadh. 


Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

  • Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time

GIRONA, Spain: Spanish champions Barcelona fell to a damaging 2-1 defeat at Girona on Monday to leave them trailing Real Madrid by two points at the top of La Liga.
Los Blancos beat Real Sociedad on Saturday to overtake the Catalans and Hansi Flick’s side could not defeat Girona in an gripping derby clash to reclaim the lead.
Teenage star Lamine Yamal missed a penalty for Barcelona, who took the lead through defender Pau Cubarsi just before the hour mark.
However goals from Thomas Lemar and Fran Beltran helped Girona, 12th, mount an impressive comeback.
“We have to improve because they can’t score these two goals against us,” Cubarsi told DAZN.
“We have to be self-critical, we didn’t play a great game, we have to improve, but now we have to rest and charge our batteries.”
Both sides were attacking with abandon in the first half and it was remarkable they went in goalless at the break.
Raphinha whipped a shot narrowly wide and Yamal fired straight at Girona goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga when through on goal.
At the other end Ukrainian striker Vladyslav Vanat missed a slew of presentable opportunities.
Ferran Torres fired a good chance wide for Barca and Raphinha drove against the upright as Flick’s side pushed for the opener.
They should have got it when Dani Olmo was clumsily felled in the box by Daley Blind, but Yamal hit the post from the spot.
Barcelona eventually took the lead through Pau Cubarsi’s header from Jules Kounde’s cross after 59 minutes, but Girona swiftly pulled level.
Thomas Lemar slipped away from Eric Garcia and turned home Vanat’s pass from close range.
It shifted the momentum in Girona’s favor and Barca were left relying on some stunning saves from goalkeeper Joan Garcia to keep them afloat.
The stopper denied Ivan Martin and Vanat with a remarkable double save, and then thwarted Joel Roca with his leg.
Barca could not stem the tide and Girona forced their way in front after 87 minutes, with Fran Beltran stroking home from the edge of the area.
The visitors, who last week made an official complaint to the Spanish football federation over perceived refereeing inconsistencies, were left fuming after Kounde was fouled by Claudio Echeverri in the build-up and it went unpunished.
Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time.
It did the job and the hosts celebrated wildly at the end with their jubilant fans at Montilivi, as Flick demanded explanations from the referee.
“It seemed like a foul (on Kounde) to me, but we shouldn’t focus on decisions we can’t control,” said Barca defender Gerard Martin.