CNN’s Caroline Faraj awarded honorary doctorate from City, University of London

Short Url
Updated 02 February 2022
Follow

CNN’s Caroline Faraj awarded honorary doctorate from City, University of London

  • Degree given in recognition of her achievements in journalism, business for CNN

DUBAI: Journalist and vice president of Arabic services for CNN, Caroline Faraj, has been awarded an honorary Doctor of Science degree from the prestigious City, University of London.

She was presented with the doctorate, given in recognition of her achievements in journalism and business for the US-based media company, during a ceremony held in London on Monday.

As an alumnus of City, University of London, she was also commended for her role as founding vice president of the university’s Middle East and North Africa board and for championing and speaking at Bayes Business School’s Global Women’s Leadership Program conferences.

Faraj dedicated the award to her late father. Speaking at the ceremony, she said: “He believed in me and taught me not only that education is power, but also that nothing is impossible.”

Addressing the students graduating on Monday, she added: “With your degree today, you will not only be holding a diploma but rather a key. With that key, you have limitless opportunities in front of you to unlock.

“However, I would like to encourage you not to let your learning end today. Instead, let today be a foundation for being a lifelong learner.

“Whether formally or informally, whether in your field of study or in another area, whether through experiences you go through or situations you encounter, or the people you meet, in whatever situation, continue to be a learner.”

Faraj’s degree honor came in the wake of her being named in the Arab Woman Awards 2021 and coincided with CNN celebrating its 20th anniversary under her leadership. CNN Arabic experienced its most successful year yet during 2021, with daily audience numbers growing by more than 150 percent in the past six years, according to Adobe Analytics.

The brand also emerged as highly trusted, scoring more than three times the average trust rating compared to other industry names.

In a separate interview, Faraj told Arab News: “Our focus will always be on credible, authentic, and factual reporting. Our commitment to the Arabic-speaking world is that we will continue to innovate in the way that we provide people with news and information wherever they need it.”


Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation

Updated 31 sec ago
Follow

Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation

  • The regulator says Grok has created and shared sexualized images of real people, including children. Researchers say some examples appear to involve minors
  • X also faces other probes in Europe over illegal content and user safety
LONDON: Elon Musk’s social media platform X faces a European Union privacy investigation after its Grok AI chatbot started spitting out nonconsensual deepfake images, Ireland’s data privacy regulator said Tuesday.
Ireland’s Data Protection Commission said it notified X on Monday that it was opening the inquiry under the 27-nation EU’s strict data privacy regulations, adding to the scrutiny X is facing in Europe and other parts of the world over Grok’s behavior.
Grok sparked a global backlash last month after it started granting requests from X users to undress people with its AI image generation and editing capabilities, including putting females in transparent bikinis or revealing clothing. Researchers said some images appeared to include children. The company later introduced some restrictions on Grok, though authorities in Europe weren’t satisfied.
The Irish watchdog said its investigation focuses on the apparent creation and posting on X of “potentially harmful” nonconsensual intimate or sexualized images containing or involving personal data from Europeans, including children.
X did not respond to a request for comment.
Grok was built by Musk’s artificial intelligence company xAI and is available through X, where its responses to user requests are publicly visible.
The watchdog said the investigation will seek to determine whether X complied with the EU data privacy rules known as GDPR, or the General Data Protection Regulation. Under the rules, the Irish regulator takes the lead on enforcing the bloc’s privacy rules because X’s European headquarters is in Dublin. Violations can result in hefty fines.
The regulator “has been engaging” with X since media reports started circulating weeks earlier about “the alleged ability of X users to prompt the @Grok account on X to generate sexualized images of real people, including children,” Deputy Commissioner Graham Doyle said in a press statement.
Spain’s government has ordered prosecutors to investigate X, Meta and TikTok for alleged crimes related to the creation and proliferation of AI-generated child sex abuse material on their platforms, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said on Tuesday.
“These platforms are attacking the mental health, dignity and rights of our sons and daughters,” Sánchez wrote on X.
Spain announced earlier this month that it was pursuing a ban on access to social media platforms for under-16s.
Earlier this month, French prosecutors raided X’s Paris offices and summoned Musk for questioning. Meanwhile, the data privacy and media regulators in Britain, which has left the EU, have opened their own investigations into X.
The platform is already facing a separate EU investigation from Brussels over whether it has been complying with the bloc’s digital rulebook for protecting social media users that requires platforms to curb the spread of illegal content such as child sexual abuse material.