Newcastle complete signing of Matt Targett on loan from Aston Villa

Newcastle United completed the signing of Aston Villa defender Matt Targett on Monday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 February 2022
Follow

Newcastle complete signing of Matt Targett on loan from Aston Villa

  • The player almost joined the Magpies in 2018 when Rafa Benitez was in charge at St James’ Park
  • Confirmation of the capture of Dan Burn was also expected during the final hours of the transfer window on Monday

NEWCASTLE: Newcastle United completed the signing of Aston Villa defender Matt Targett on Monday and confirmation of the capture of Dan Burn was believed to be imminent.

Targett joins United on an initial loan deal until the end of the season. He is the club’s fourth signing during this first transfer window since the majority takeover by the Saudi Public Investment Fund in October. He follows Kieran Trippier, Chris Wood and Bruno Guimaraes through the door at St James’ Park.

The signing of Brighton and Hove Albion defender Burn was expected to be confirmed on Monday evening, as the clock counted down to the close of the transfer window.

However, a move for Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard has faltered, with the Red Devils unwilling to allow the player to leave during this window. A similar deal for under-20 France international Hugo Ekitike also failed on deadline day.

Targett spoke of his excitement at signing for the Magpies.

“It all happened so quickly,” he said. “I got a call last night saying the loan with Villa had been agreed; now I can’t wait to get started to get my teeth stuck in.

“When you look at it from afar, with all the players linked and the new players, the project — it is all exciting, exciting times to be here. Everyone is keeping an eye on how Newcastle do.

“I had a conversation with the manager last night and I am looking forward to working with him.”

This is not the first time the Magpies have shown an interest in Targett. In 2018, during Rafa Benitez’s time on Tyneside, United came within a whisker of signing the player from Southampton. However, a lack of finances under previous owner Mike Ashley scuppered the deal and the player ended up at Fulham. Targett recalled just how close Newcastle came to obtaining his services.

“It was about three or four years ago and I was about to get on the plane to go to Newcastle,” he said.

“Even at the time then, I don’t think I was ready. Now, having that experience with Villa and Southampton, I feel like I am in a good place with my career. At the time I was still young; it would have been a massive shock to me, coming here. Now I am ready.”

Last season’s players’ player of the campaign at Villa, Targett is under no illusions about the priority for the remainder of the season and his immediate aim at United: To help avoid relegation.

“The main thing is keeping Newcastle in the Premier League and we will see where that takes us after that,” he said.

“Every time I have come here it has been a tough place to come. The fans are very passionate, they give the team good backing and I am looking forward to meeting them. I enjoy playing at St James’ Park. To be playing for them instead of getting abuse, it will be great.

“This team has quality and I am sure this team has enough to stay in the league.”

Newcastle co-owner Mehrdad Ghodoussi welcomed Targett to the club in message posted on Twittrer. He wrote: “Welcome Matt. Super excited to have you on board.”

Co-owner Jamie Reuben wrote: “Welcome @Mattytargett. We’re happy to have you.”


Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

  • Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time

GIRONA, Spain: Spanish champions Barcelona fell to a damaging 2-1 defeat at Girona on Monday to leave them trailing Real Madrid by two points at the top of La Liga.
Los Blancos beat Real Sociedad on Saturday to overtake the Catalans and Hansi Flick’s side could not defeat Girona in an gripping derby clash to reclaim the lead.
Teenage star Lamine Yamal missed a penalty for Barcelona, who took the lead through defender Pau Cubarsi just before the hour mark.
However goals from Thomas Lemar and Fran Beltran helped Girona, 12th, mount an impressive comeback.
“We have to improve because they can’t score these two goals against us,” Cubarsi told DAZN.
“We have to be self-critical, we didn’t play a great game, we have to improve, but now we have to rest and charge our batteries.”
Both sides were attacking with abandon in the first half and it was remarkable they went in goalless at the break.
Raphinha whipped a shot narrowly wide and Yamal fired straight at Girona goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga when through on goal.
At the other end Ukrainian striker Vladyslav Vanat missed a slew of presentable opportunities.
Ferran Torres fired a good chance wide for Barca and Raphinha drove against the upright as Flick’s side pushed for the opener.
They should have got it when Dani Olmo was clumsily felled in the box by Daley Blind, but Yamal hit the post from the spot.
Barcelona eventually took the lead through Pau Cubarsi’s header from Jules Kounde’s cross after 59 minutes, but Girona swiftly pulled level.
Thomas Lemar slipped away from Eric Garcia and turned home Vanat’s pass from close range.
It shifted the momentum in Girona’s favor and Barca were left relying on some stunning saves from goalkeeper Joan Garcia to keep them afloat.
The stopper denied Ivan Martin and Vanat with a remarkable double save, and then thwarted Joel Roca with his leg.
Barca could not stem the tide and Girona forced their way in front after 87 minutes, with Fran Beltran stroking home from the edge of the area.
The visitors, who last week made an official complaint to the Spanish football federation over perceived refereeing inconsistencies, were left fuming after Kounde was fouled by Claudio Echeverri in the build-up and it went unpunished.
Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time.
It did the job and the hosts celebrated wildly at the end with their jubilant fans at Montilivi, as Flick demanded explanations from the referee.
“It seemed like a foul (on Kounde) to me, but we shouldn’t focus on decisions we can’t control,” said Barca defender Gerard Martin.