Saudi Arabia records further drop in daily COVID-19 infections

Saudi police check pilgrims for vaccination details on their smartphone, after Saudi authorities announced the easing of coronavirus restrictions, at the Grand Mosque in Makkah. (Reuters/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 22 January 2022
Follow

Saudi Arabia records further drop in daily COVID-19 infections

  • A total of 8,918 people have now died from the virus in the Kingdom so far

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia announced another two deaths from COVID-19 and 4,608 new infections on Saturday.

Numbers of confirmed cases have started to drop over the past week, after a sharp increase earlier in January, and it was the second consecutive day with a decrease in cases; with 276 fewer recorded than on Friday.

The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 594,762 after 4,622 more patients recovered from the virus.

A total of 8,918 people have now died from the virus in the Kingdom so far.

The Saudi health ministry is continuing with the Kingdom's vaccination plan, and more than 55 million doses of a coronavirus vaccine have been administered in the Kingdom to date.

Saudi Arabia recently updated its COVID-19 restrictions, announcing new fines of SR1,000 ($266) for those who flout social distancing rules, and SR100,000 ($266,000) for repeat offenders.

Social distancing is required at Makkah’s Grand Mosque and other public places, while masks are also required in public places, indoors and outdoors.

On Tuesday, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the World Health Organization chief said that the pandemic was “nowhere near over,” and urged against a narrative that the fast-spreading omicron variant was risk-free.


King Salman directs disbursement of more than SR3 billion in Ramadan aid

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman. (File/SPA)
Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

King Salman directs disbursement of more than SR3 billion in Ramadan aid

  • The aid payments include SR1,000 for the head of household and SR500 for each dependent

RIYADH: King Salman has directed the disbursement of more than SR3 billion ($0.8 billion) in Ramadan aid to beneficiaries of social security, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Thursday.

The aid payments, which include SR1,000 for the head of household and SR500 for each dependent are expected to be deposited directly into the beneficiaries’ bank accounts within the next few hours.

The payment reflects the leadership's commitment to addressing the needs of beneficiary families and ensuring their requirements are met during the holy month of Ramadan, SPA said.

The directive was made based on the recommendation of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.